Video memory leaks being experienced by many users

+
Just want to drawn attention to this problem as posted here on Reddit (link):

Many users with different hardware, including high end parts, are experiencing VRAM leaks when runing the game with raytracing and/or high textures, regardless of how much VRAM they have, after 1~2hours of game time (FPS goes down significantly across the whole game and sometimes stuttering is introduced).

Players are forced to either disable raytracing or play with textures set to medium do that the leak doesn't happen. Or restart the game every ~1~2h of gameplay.

Hundreds of users are experiencing this.

In my case (3080, 5800X3D, 64Gb 3600Mhz RAM, 980Pro) FPS goes from 80+ (1440p) down to 40~50 with some stuttering after ~1h of gameplay if I ever play with textures set to high. Other settings doesn't matter, already tested. Only game this happens, and this wouldn't happen before Patch2.0.

Sort the comments of the linked Reddit post by "new" and you'll be able to see new users posting about this VRAM leak problem almost every week.

PS: it probably doesn't make any difference, but just in case anyone is curious I'll leave some benchmarks of my rig here...

Last edited:
Omg, I recently found that using low cascade shadows range and quality removes the lags when activating menu or map. Now, I also have a fix for RTX fps drop overall. Thanks!

But I am not sure if this qualifies as VRAM leak. Because leak would mean that more and more VRAM is being used, without freeing it. I just experience FPS drop after some time, when using RTX, which goes lower, lower and lower, but the VRAM usage stays around 7 GB.

Omg, I recently found that using low cascade shadows range and quality removes the lags when activating menu or map. Now, I also have a fix for RTX fps drop overall. Thanks!

But I am not sure if this qualifies as VRAM leak. Because leak would mean that more and more VRAM is being used, without freeing it. I just experience FPS drop after some time, when using RTX, which goes lower, lower and lower, but the VRAM usage stays around 7 GB.
Hmmm... it has a memory leak like behavior, but never crashes. Just performance gets worse and worse over time. But you're right: probably not a memory leak per se.

Either way, it's very annoying having to play with textures set to medium.

Same goes with the cascading shadows and the menus/map behavior that was never fixed.

Guest 4732906

all of what you say tells me Vram is running out and there was no wait break put in place so it makes sure to alloc resources before it tries to access them?

all of what you say tells me Vram is running out and there was no wait break put in place so it makes sure to alloc resources before it tries to access them?
For me personally, the VRAM usage stays roughly the same. It is the GPU that needs more and more computation power over time for the same task. Like if there was a function or something which creates an endless loop time to time. So after some time you get more and more of those, losing the performance.

Might be... still, people with 4080s and 7900XTXs for example, posted reporting the same problem, so this leads to believe it can happen sooner or later no matter how much VRAM you have.

It's annoying to test because the FPS drop gets noticeable only after around one or two hour playing.

Again: only "solution" I found is running textures at medium, which is disappointing. But at least then the game runs fine without performance degradation over time, only way.

Well ive noticed a increase in Vram usage but i use some mods to so its not that weird for me. These kinda issues can be hard to diagnose since its diffrent hardware and software. Some people seem to not have issues or they do but dont notice it. Its the same as micro stutters and so on, some people are just not as sensitive to them i guess. Anyways good luck! hope you get help...

Guest 4732906

micro stutters is caching.
so thats all vram and swap.

Hi my name is V i eat vram.

but yeah i have had times where path tracing is on and 60 fps all the way.
and then suddenly there's a dip and it gets worse over time.
eventually it's all frame generation and no frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
micro stutters is caching.
so thats all vram and swap.

Hi my name is V i eat vram.

but yeah i have had times where path tracing is on and 60 fps all the way.
and then suddenly there's a dip and it gets worse over time.
eventually it's all frame generation and no frames.
Try to run textures at medium. Should "fix" this issue of degrading FPS for your while CDPR doesn't look into it (they still haven't fixed the problem with cascading shadows and menus/maps).
Post automatically merged:

Well ive noticed a increase in Vram usage but i use some mods to so its not that weird for me. These kinda issues can be hard to diagnose since its diffrent hardware and software. Some people seem to not have issues or they do but dont notice it. Its the same as micro stutters and so on, some people are just not as sensitive to them i guess. Anyways good luck! hope you get help...
Thanks. Many players having this same issues since 2.0 dropped.

Top Bottom