Unpredictable Performance.

+
This can be tracked anywhere, but it's easiest for me to get a read on performance while standing in front of Lizzie's at night.

3900X/3080/32GB DDR4-4000 (downclocked to 3600 for stability). No mods.

- Reinstalled the game with patch 2.0. For some reason performance is bad, giving me about 50fps in heavier areas, 1440p/DLSS Quality/"optimized settings" from various youtube videos. No problem I say, they must have done some updates to graphics and lighting.

- Play the game up to the point where you wake up in the landfill. For some reason, performance in the game has stabilized and has now gone up to 80-85 in Night City no matter where I'm at or what time (unless indoors where it generally goes to 100+), even in front of Lizzie's at night. Awesome. Good enough for me.

- Today, for seemingly no reason, I'm noticing drops in performance again. Went and stood in front of Lizzie's at night to test it out. Back down to 60-65. I start going into settings and messing around to see if I can get the performance back up. Nope, now we've tanked to 45ish fps, and now it won't change whether it's on Native, DLSS Quality, or DLSS Ultra Performance. Always the same no matter what.

Restarting the PC doesn't fix anything, and messing with settings doesn't fix anything. Scan and Repair ended up downloading a 51MB file, but, it didn't fix the performance. I also keep getting sync errors and a message about how their servers are busy. GPU usage seems to be stuck at around 50-60% unless I turn on raytracing. Raytracing is cool and all, but I don't like the performance hit, and I especially don't like the increased input lag, even with low latency + boost.

So I'm downloading the game again for the third time since 2.0. Is this a widespread issue or one with just the GOG version? Keep in mind that I've run benchmarks and tests in other games and everything is running as it should, meaning it's absolutely this game that's having problems.

UPDATE: I wrote this up as I was downloading the game. A few minutes later I got an error saying the installation failed and that the installation is corrupt. Wow. I guess we're going for a fourth download now.

UPDATE 2: Downloading it again didn't fix anything. Got a crash error message after I quit the game, too. This reminds me, the game crashes after I run the in-game benchmark program.

Last edited:
Okay, so after a couple of days of hovering around 60-70fps no matter where (after total removal of all folders and files and reinstall), I just loaded the game and have magically jumped back up to 90fps standing by Arasaka Tower, and 130fps out the outskirts of town.

What is happening?

I can only speak for myself. I was getting terrible performance for a couple of hours, even after lowering the settings. Then I allowed the system to do a reset to default, and then reset to the highest setting. That took me from a little over 30FPS at 4K with medium settings, to about 70 FPS at 4K with everything maxxed that can be set to max on an NVidia 3090 card. So at least for me, there was some sort of glitch in the stored settings carried over for the game, even with a full re-install. Reset fixed it.

Top Bottom