Weird frametime graph

+
Does anyone know what this phenomenon is called? And does it even have a name? I don't even know how to google this problem...
These are clearly not ordinary friezes/stutters, I did not find anything like this on the forums here
The game has a good fps, it goes down to 65, but when this phenomenon occurs - no matter what fps, the smoothness of the picture disappears with everything, stuttering appears
Naturally, if i restart the game - everything becomes normal, for a while
The latest version of the game, only Cyber Engine Tweaks is installed from the mods, it includes the AMD SMT patch, which helped me with the drop in fps/power
Medium-high settings, RTX on for reflections and lighting (medium)
Has anyone else here experienced something similar? Maybe even in other games
My pc:
Ryzen 7 5800X3D
X570 AORUS ELITE
Crucial Ballistix 32Gb 3800
RTX 3070
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
PSU SF-750F14HG
Windows 10 22H2 with all the latest updates

Attachments

• Cyberpunk2077_2023_03_04_20_13_57_423.jpg
    Cyberpunk2077_2023_03_04_20_13_57_423.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 134
  • Cyberpunk2077_2023_03_04_20_12_34_052.jpg
    Cyberpunk2077_2023_03_04_20_12_34_052.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
Is it always like that? I would suppose it's not as I had something very similar on my 3070Ti back in the day and I figured that every so often there must be an extra step in the rendering pipeline and the first bet was placed on the game starting to tap into "shared GPU memory", that is when the GPU runs out of space for the internal onboard Video Memory and has to tap into other sources such as your RAM.

4343d.png

This is directly from the Task Manager, just to give you another hint what I am talking about. So, i suggest play the game and monitor that Shared GPU memory as well. I am pretty sure when the issue occurs, you will see the increase to the usage of that. If I am right on this, then there's no way to fix that other than restart the game every so often when the memory overflow occurs, or turning off all the RT stuff (increases memory usage, and as far as I can tell it has a memory leak too) or getting a new card with more VRAM.

Edit:

Sorry, now I see that you said that it is okay when you start and that the issue comes after a while in the original message. Well, now I am like 99% sure that I am correct in my assumptions made earlier. Had exactly the same issue and as far as I know this is also a commonly known issue as well.

Last edited:
Is it always like that? I would suppose it's not as I had something very similar on my 3070Ti back in the day and I figured that every so often there must be an extra step in the rendering pipeline and the first bet was placed on the game starting to tap into "shared GPU memory", that is when the GPU runs out of space for the internal onboard Video Memory and has to tap into other sources such as your RAM.

View attachment 11347448

This is directly from the Task Manager, just to give you another hint what I am talking about. So, i suggest play the game and monitor that Shared GPU memory as well. I am pretty sure when the issue occurs, you will see the increase to the usage of that. If I am right on this, then there's no way to fix that other than restart the game every so often when the memory overflow occurs, or turning off all the RT stuff (increases memory usage, and as far as I can tell it has a memory leak too) or getting a new card with more VRAM.

Edit:

Sorry, now I see that you said that it is okay when you start and that the issue comes after a while in the original message. Well, now I am like 99% sure that I am correct in my assumptions made earlier. Had exactly the same issue and as far as I know this is also a commonly known issue as well.
So it's all the same memory leak?
As I wrote in my post, I had problems with the power of the video card dropping from 230-240w to 140-150w, due to which the fps dropped to 40-50 and below, I understood that this was a memory leak, I was able to fix this is with the help of cyber engine tweaks, namely the inclusion of the AMD SMT patch, but despite this, I still get frametime spikes every second as you can see on the screenshots, while the fps is high and the power does not drop
Will this game ever be fixed?

iCake

Forum veteran
Well, I cannot speak with the technical know-how so everything I say is a supposition but then, it makes total sense for the card to drop its power consumption when the available Video Memory becomes less than what the game actually needs as fetching the data from system RAM introduces an overhead of a few milliseconds when the card needs to simply wait for the data to be fed to it.

In any case, I had exactly this issue on my 3070TI and I was only able to either live with it (that is restarting the game when it happens), or disabling any RT effects. I ultimately chose to upgrade my video card as the screen I shared earlier shows. Now it just works. IMHO, while I can understand why it's unfortunate that it is how it is, but then 8Gb of memory was always going to start holding the 3070 back sooner or later and Cyberpunk is clearly one of the games that pushes technolodgy far beyond what 99% of games do.

Can the devs do anything about it? Probably. Is that a real priority? Probably not. Just my 2 cents, for the record, I'd love them to fix it but then I do understand it's most likely not a trivial matter.

Well, I tried a lot of solutions found on the internet and none of them helped in the end.
What was done:
windowed mode
disable full screen optimization
different windows power plans
power management mode maximum performance in invidia control panel
turn off vsync in invidia control panel
without overclocking cpu and gpu (pbo2 tuner/msi afterburner)
without monitoring (msi afterburner/rtss)
disable usb 3.0 ports on the front panel of the case (it helped many people on the forums)
after all this, SUDDENLY, a solution was found that removes frametime spikes right in the game, you just need to quickly press M (map) and it really works

Top Bottom