Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK if this a mistake, but i'm on 2124 words, and i'm not even close to be done with chapter 1, should i short things up?
Or maybe i'm close to finish this chapter, i just don't know it yet...

Perhaps you might divided the chapters into episodes...

Act 1 - chapter 1- episode 1...how many sub sub sub sub titles i need?
Just kidding, made some research - this is subjective of course, and there's around 250-350 words per page...so ehh, not that bad...i can put some more words into it, unlike my first project...10k words per chapter, i went pretty far on that matter...writing is such a great passion.

I suppose you're writing something?

Well since you mentioned it... Don't focus so much on the words themselves but on your ideas. Words are like paint, a vehicle. And a painter does not necessarily need excessive amounts of paint to represent his/her ideas masterfully. Remember a desirable feature in a writer is to be successful in delivering his point. Too many words may dilute the power of your ideas.

I suppose you're writing something?

Well since you mentioned it... Don't focus so much on the words themselves but on your ideas. Words are like paint, a vehicle. And a painter does not necessarily need excessive amounts of paint to represent his/her ideas masterfully. Remember a desirable feature in a writer is to be successful in delivering his point. Too many words may dilute the power of your ideas.

I know writing isn't a science, but if at the beginning you have more questions than answers, and later on as the story progresses, your questions are going to be answered is that ok?

I know writing isn't a science, but if at the beginning you have more questions than answers, and later on as the story progresses, your questions are going to be answered is that ok?

In the end it's all a matter of style. Some writers can pull off amazing stunts, others can't. In general, you don't really want to overwhelm someone with a thousand questions, even if they are answered later. But specially if they are answered much later, when they are not relevant anymore.

I'd say a good storyteller uses just the right words (not all of his words) and tells just what's necessary to make the story seem interesting and to make people want to hear more, but too much would cause the opposite effect. As you well said, it's not a science and noone can tell you exactly what to do. In general though, try to keep it simple and let your ideas come out clearly. You'll always have time to revise and improve your writing.

Just keep in mind I am not a professional and I may not know what I'm talking about :p

In the end it's all a matter of style. Some writers can pull off amazing stunts, others can't. In general, you don't really want to overwhelm someone with a thousand questions, even if they are answered later. But specially if they are answered much later, when they are not relevant anymore.

I'd say a good storyteller uses just the right words (not all of his words) and tells just what's necessary to make the story seem interesting and to make people want to hear more, but too much would cause the opposite effect. As you well said, it's not a science and noone can tell you exactly what to do. In general though, try to keep it simple and let your ideas come out clearly. You'll always have time to revise and improve your writing.

Just keep in mind I am not a professional and I may not know what I'm talking about :p

I agree with you. And unfortunately the vast majority of writers give the reader way too much unimportant information. Clearly to the writer, they think these extra details are super interesting, but for the reader, they're left wondering what parts of the text are important and which bits are just paragraphs they should skip.
GRRM does this increasingly with every book and he does it badly. J.K. Rowling is a good example of when a writer puts in extra information that whilst isn't necessary to the plot, is still very enjoyable to read. GRRM is a good example of someone rambling for 10 minutes about something nobody cares about. Dude badly needs an editor.

In other news I've got 2 hours to cram as much of the Korean language into my head as possible. I hope the exam is easy :(

I agree with you. And unfortunately the vast majority of writers give the reader way too much unimportant information. Clearly to the writer, they think these extra details are super interesting, but for the reader, they're left wondering what parts of the text are important and which bits are just paragraphs they should skip.
GRRM does this increasingly with every book and he does it badly. J.K. Rowling is a good example of when a writer puts in extra information that whilst isn't necessary to the plot, is still very enjoyable to read. GRRM is a good example of someone rambling for 10 minutes about something nobody cares about. Dude badly needs an editor.

In other news I've got 2 hours to cram as much of the Korean language into my head as possible. I hope the exam is easy :(

One of the reasons why I only read the first novel of GRRMs series. You don't need that much info as it very quickly slows the whole story down to a crawl. In fact, the story just stops. I also stopped watching a Game of Thrones in the middle of the second season as nothing was happening in the story and as far as I was concerned, Westeros is full of stupid arseholes.

Heresy, I know! :p

By the way, good luck with your exam, I know how difficult it is to learn another language. I failed my French back at secondary school.

To avoid this kind of issues with GRRM books you just have to read those parts with useless info very fast (mostly are about food) and then going on (scientifically tested, I tried it and it worked).

Because I got very angry with Big George right there after the third banquet in a row describing only food. Also, it is very annoying if you are hungry.

To avoid this kind of issues with GRRM books you just have to read those parts with useless info very fast (mostly are about food) and then going on (scientifically tested, I tried it and it worked).

Because I got very angry with Big George right there after the third banquet in a row describing only food. Also, it is very annoying if you are hungry.

Funny that you said he describes food alot, now we know why he looks like this, he probably gets hungry after every page.

---------- Updated at 04:10 PM ----------

Is alot of dialogs bad in stories?

One of the reasons why I only read the first novel of GRRMs series. You don't need that much info as it very quickly slows the whole story down to a crawl. In fact, the story just stops. I also stopped watching a Game of Thrones in the middle of the second season as nothing was happening in the story and as far as I was concerned, Westeros is full of stupid arseholes.

Keep watching/reading, things get really damn interesting later on.

Keep watching/reading, things get really damn interesting later on.

That's the thing: I can't as I just get annoyed at the characters as they come across as not all that smart. I mean I can't stand Denerys or any of the Lanisters as they drive me insane with how ignorant they are. Oh and I almost forgot, there's a war on isn't there? So why aren't we bloody seeing it?

I just hope they cool it with the character murder as it's become a gimmick and really does fuck with plot progression. Anymore, I'm expecting death at every turn in the show.

That's the thing: I can't as I just get annoyed at the characters as they come across as not all that smart. I mean I can't stand Denerys or any of the Lanisters as they drive me insane with how ignorant they are. Oh and I almost forgot, there's a war on isn't there? So why aren't we bloody seeing it?

Speaking about the TV show, I think budget reasons, because episode 9 of season 2 consumed it all :p

As for the books, I can't say, as I only read like 50 pages of the first book, a friend gave it to me to try it, but the number of pages are just scary to me :p

One damn ASOFAI book is like the entirety of the witcher saga :p

Speaking about the TV show, I think budget reasons, because episode 9 of season 2 consumed it all :p

As for the books, I can't say, as I only read like 50 pages of the first book, a friend gave it to me to try it, but the number of pages are just scary to me :p

One damn ASOFAI book is like the entirety of the witcher saga :p

A Clash of Kings is damn near 1000 pages! Which, yeah, scared me off reading it. The only other time that's happened is with The Lord Of The Rings. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom