Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never got any edumecation, did allright, own me own house and have a damn comfortable life now. Mind you i've worked some shitty jobs, worse was probably labourer at a dog food factory, place were swarming with big fuck off rats. Then again I like working with me hands and being outside.

Edit: I'd say most important thing about work is simply being willing to work and showing it, wanting to do a good job and taking what you do seriously. Education is good but doesn't get the job done, experience is good but doesn't mean that you'll make a good worker, best thing i've always found is the right attitude.

Then again me mate Fat Bob is hardest worker i've ever seen, he hates his job and so wants to get it done as soon as possible, with no mistakes so he doesn't have to do it again or talk to anybody. I'd work with him any day of week, as the day just flies by in a haze of sweat and foul language. Mind you Bob stinks and has an attitude slightly to the right of Vlad the Impaler.

Last edited:
Never got any edumecation, did allright, own me own house and have a damn comfortable life now. Mind you i've worked some shitty jobs, worse was probably labourer at a dog food factory, place were swarming with big fuck off rats. Then again I like working with me hands and being outside.

Amen to that!

After Uni, can't say it helped me much though. I'm in a different line of work entirely at the moment. :p

I don't know about fair Romania but here people are more inclined to give you a career position you know nothing about for the almighty piece of paper(diploma) . Of course there are many you can't do without the proper paper. Not bashing higher education, but I think it's getting a bit overrated. McDonalds looking to have restaraunt managers who at least have an associate degree. Ha! Two years of school for 10-12 an hour.

I will always be of the belief that time worked and learned hands on should at least be equal to the paper. In certain fields anyway, such as mine of business management where I worked my ass off silly, taking paperwork home, working off the clock-for fucking free when I was hourly, learning the different areas in my own time.

Higher education is the answer, if only because it is forced to be.

@Blothulfur: You would have a friend named fat Bob.

I think ideally higher education should help people improve themselves, not just "learn things". We are human beings and we are part of human communities, but our set of values can differ to the point where a group might value things that directly affect the life of others. Some people learn to become decent human beings without higher education, and sometimes higher education helps us become decent people by learning from our fellow human beings. But neither guarantees anything. One can understand that a particular person's life experience may sour his outlook on life and community, but when "education" fails to facilitate the tools for people to become HUMANS, then I think it has failed.

This is the case of "scientists" who forge results, bloat their CV with worthless papers, or directly support activities in detriment of humanity (eg. racism). What is the point in knowing, if we are destroying our future?

Now, when higher education is balanced enough, I think it is a wonderful thing. Not everybody has to become a scientist, researcher or university professor, but those who want to do that need many, many years of studies in order to solve current problems. Right now we are at the scale of the very large and the very small: neuroscience, nanoscience, astrophysics, etc. No form of empirical learning could ever prepare people to work in these fields simply because, by definition, it is generally impossible to conduct traditional experimentation.

Ideally people should do what they like and not have to worry about funding, grants, salaries, etc. We should live in a society where a manual worker, a scientist, an artist and a philosopher lead a life as good as a business administrator or any form of executive. Of course this entails a broad definition of quality of life, not necessarily based around buying power and how many cars and large TVs we have laying around. Ideally we should be rewarded for advancing human culture in any way. But we know our current society values money above all else and we are generally considered either "part of the system" or against it.

I personally value education, but I understand very well it is not always the answer to all of our immediate problems. But do remember not all problems are immediate or perceptible from our position in time.

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Last edited:
A turd in the ointment are those blasted university/departmental requirements that tag extra $'s and time on the bill. Sure Fat Bob may enjoy his British lit and biology courses, but he is studying to be an aerospace engineer. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I mean, it also has stuff like Dark Souls and Dishonored listed there, so... The connections being made between those games and Skyrim are so out there, that he might as well have included Battlefield 4 in there.

I was just skimming the article, then I saw the label on the first photo "Faster Mainframe computers are painted red" and thought WTF?

Everyone knows they used red for the smaller, zippy minis.

GO FASTA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom