Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeker said:
well good luck on your date and you dint bring him her so we can give your date the ones over :evil:
Sadly, she is not a gamer. She's wonderful in many ways, but those ways leave her too busy to play games. Maybe once her grandchildren are a little older....

And now for something completely different :teeth:And no, I'm not getting somebody naked to play the piano...I just started reading "Stormfront" by Jim Butcher, the first novel of the Dresden Files. From the first 60 pages, I like it. Harry Dresden is quite interesting a character to have, though I am hoping stuff to show more "supernatural" in the near future.After watching "Over the Hills and Far Away", the song by Gary Moore, I can't help but to think of Simon every time I see Garys face ;DThere is this German saying of "all things good are always three" or something in the meaning, and as this probably should be thought of, I present my first post that was spell checked by software :eek: Finding a decent thing for Opera wasn't hard, but tedious :peace:

I present my first post that was spell checked by software
I sertenli nid uan tu! :DAnd a little of-topic from the "What is this?" quiz:
The thing is, the Czechs make good beer - beer that actually tastes of something. Obviously, the warmer a drink is, the more the volatile flavours are expressed, and so the richer and more complex the flavour in your mouth. People who are selling really dreadful drinks - like blended whisky or American beer - serve it ice cold or put ice in it (ice in whisky! The very thought is blasphemy to any Scotsman). People who are selling really good drinks - like a good French wine or a malt whisky - serve it at room temperature or slightly above.
I knew about the room temperature for beers and i have drunk some too. You 're right, the better the beer is, the lesser you need it to be cold. But an object that warms up a beer is beyond my imagination! :DAnd one time i tasted a very good whisky in a bar, i told to the barman "Please, no ice" and he replied "But of course"... I insulted him! :eek: But i had my reasons. Many barmen here don't know their job, they will put ice to everything!

Well, they do that here, too, but I think that has to do with the more than 9 months of over 100*F temperatures.

Though I'm not fond of beer at all I only know cold beer (with no ice). The idea of a warm beer puts an upset into my stomach... and beer fans ;D overhere would describe a warm beer as a sacrileg.Anyway....cheers :beer:

TheSilver said:
I just started reading "Stormfront" by Jim Butcher, the first novel of the Dresden Files. From the first 60 pages, I like it. Harry Dresden is quite interesting a character to have, though I am hoping stuff to show more "supernatural" in the near future.
*grins* Dresden Files are great :) Btw, a graphic novel was recently released, "Welcome to the Jungle", which takes place before Stormfront. Just make sure you read the series of novels in order, because the events in each build upon the prior ones. There's no real "stand alone" novels in the series. ...if memory serves, the 11th novel is scheduled to come out this Spring. Butcher's indicated he plans the total series to be 23 novels in length (20 'case book' novels, the present format, and then a three book 'apocalyptic trilogy').As you get further into the series, you'll have more supernatural stuff popping up. Vampires (three different types), werewolves (at least four or five different types, not all evil), more mages, faeries, Sidhe, necromancers, demons....

Can you get Theraflu (tm) and Starbucks (tm) in Warsaw? Just wondering as it's been almost 45 minutes since Eriash said he was going to bed and his name is still here, so I'm thinking he's going to feel like hiding under the carpet tomorrow. :sleep:

@Quixote, I finished the book at about 4 in the morning... :sleep:Very nicely written and interestingly put together. Though I know that it is only the first book, I'm already missing a few things, such as a little more detail about the "world" in general. Such as why and what would a Vampire want to do in Chicago? Special plans? Or just trying to make a life, like the Aliens in "Men in Black". Another thing I'm missing is that Harry does not have a friend, a supporter, a buddy. I know about Bob and Mister, but none of these are "real" friends. If that makes sense...

TheSilver said:
@Quixote, I finished the book at about 4 in the morning... :sleep:Very nicely written and interestingly put together. Though I know that it is only the first book, I'm already missing a few things, such as a little more detail about the "world" in general. Such as why and what would a Vampire want to do in Chicago? Special plans? Or just trying to make a life, like the Aliens in "Men in Black". Another thing I'm missing is that Harry does not have a friend, a supporter, a buddy. I know about Bob and Mister, but none of these are "real" friends. If that makes sense...
Hmm....okay, spoiler free answers:As to the vampires: Sorta MiB-ish...but there are other games afoot as well. As to Harry....he develops some friendships as the series progresses. The thing with Harry is that he's one of those types who's never really had a family (or friends), but wishes he did......he does have a mentor he's on good terms with, but you don't meet him until later in the series (and then only briefly). ...you've already met Karen Murphy, she's a regular recurring character and gets on better terms with Dresden. Also one of the books you haven't gotten to yet starts out with him working a job with a Knight of the Sword who's a friend of his

I can't tell, because it 's been many years and even then i wasn't sure about the name! :D But it couldn't bee that expensive, otherwise i wouldn't have ordered it. Maybe i remember it as something extraordinary, because it was the first malt whisky in my life. Here you find mostly blended (at least some years ago) so a malt was something different. Some days ago i dreamed of my husband while carrying some stones to our garden from one place to another. His brother comes from Athens every now and then and builds a stone wall. My husband wants to help him, so he provides him with (very big and heavy) stones. I saw in my dream that one man passed in front of our house and yelled "No more stones! The 're about to finish"! and my husband was like "Oh, no, no, i must hurry! No more stones?" and ran like crazy to transfer as more as he could. OK, i woke up. :hmmm:The same day i remembered my dream and told him. We both agreed "What a silly dream, with no meaning at all"! :DYeah, right! At noon, a stone slipped from his hand and hit his foot. ??? He 's lucky he didn't brake anything!

gamewidow said:
Laphroaig is very nice, as is Glenmorangie :peace: -- if you like that sort of thing :)
Laphroig is an acquired taste - the amount of iodine in it is quite extreme. Most of the Islay whiskies are similar - very strong flavoured, particularly Ardbeg and Lagavulin. Glenmorangie is a much smoother drink; if you like Glenmorangie then you will probably like the Orkney malts, Highland Park and Scapa (I have some 19 year old Highland Park on the go now which is very nice indeed, but some years ago I got a bottle of 26 year old Scapa which must be the best whisky I've ever tasted). My local distillery, Bladnoch, used to produce a very similar, smooth, subtle malt. Unfortunately production ceased about fifteen years ago, and although it has now restarted I haven't yet tasted the new production.

SimonBrooke said:
Glenmorangie is a much smoother drink; if you like Glenmorangie then you will probably like the Orkney malts, Highland Park and Scapa (I have some 19 year old Highland Park on the go now which is very nice indeed, but some years ago I got a bottle of 26 year old Scapa which must be the best whisky I've ever tasted).
Thanks for the tips, I will go hunt and wait for it to go on sale :) if ever. Or maybe put on a 2nd mortgage to afford something that old ;D

*sigh* Here I am, spending time to remind the ladies around here that they are the ones talking about stuff, we men get accused of and now what?You folks start talking about whiskey...edit:@Quixote, that is good to hear. "Stormftont" seemed a little too much on the "me against the world" lines :D

TheSilver said:
*sigh* Here I am, spending time to remind the ladies around here that they are the ones talking about stuff, we men get accused of and now what?
You be careful, Silver! Now that you're no longer jailbait, we don't have to speak softly in front of the children anymore. :D

Not so fast, Corylea, I am not 21 yet, and therefore I do not have all the rights and responsebilities of a adult here in America.I, technically speaking, am not a adult, per se.By the way, I think I've just found one of the most awkward Band names there is : Enter the Haggis.I don't believe it get more obscure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom