What about Multiplayer?

+
I'm sorry, this post thread reminded me of something

Jim Mora Playoffs! - YouTube

Multiplayer?? You wanna talk about Multiplayer!? I just hope they can finish the game!

In all seriousness, if and when multiplayer does come to this game, I sincerely hope that they iron the kinks out with the engine in a single player instance first. That should be the priority. I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get multiplayer until the second iteration of this title, whenever that may be. In fact, I would prefer it.

Years of work, crunching developers, developing for a genre they are very experienced with, countless of delays, second most expensive video game developed ever. Still overpromised and underdelivered. I'm convinced they had no clue what to do with the mp part anyway. This was again all management talking big, that's all they can do as we know now.

The arrogance of them is astounding, they think the can just hire 50 people and let them make the next GTA Online without any idea how to do that, ah fuck it we made Witcher 3. This "changing plans" or canceling the multiplayer doesn't suprise me in any way. Delusional beyond belief. BioWare needed a handful of games to tank their reputation completely, CDPR did it in 1.

BioWare needed a handful of games to tank their reputation completely, CDPR did it in 1.

If the logic is Bioware tanking rep after a handful of games, why does it take CDPR to render them tanked after one?

You're right, and I'm just as appalled as you. I'm not saying I disagree with the assessment that CP2077 tanked on what it promised to deliver, but it's unfair to say that CDPR is tanked after botching one game's release. The least we can do is hold CDPR accountable and scrutinize their next few moves.

If they botch that, by say, prioritizing the development of a multiplayer component whilst trying to fix the core game, then I'd see reason to question their reputation and the direction of the company in future titles. However, the fact that they are reconsidering this part of the game, in addition to acquiring a new studio in Vancouver, gives me some hope that they are reprioritizing their efforts to clean up the mess.

Last edited:
maybe in sold numbers cause of the massive overhype - but surely not in the image or satisfaction of playerbase. u cant be serious about that.
100% serious - the witcher 3 is successful because of little overhype, the first game was on pc, second on xbox, so when the third came out on everything - people just heard from other players "oh yeah good game, you should play" so the majority of people played after the relase and the bug fixes, patches, and all of that already happened. Not to mention since most people didnt follow the project up to release they had little to no expectations. its the 3rd game in the series and it introduce over half the current fanbase to the franchise

But lets face it, both are RPG's, one (witcher) has a barely customizable character, a far less play-style customization, weapons, and equipment

Both use the same basic system of dialogue

also there is not massive overhype, its just massive amounts of idiots who have been daydreaming out in their heads for years about how they imagined this game would be. (two issues mainly, its not a sex sim like half the fanbase was silently hoping for, and your playing a character who is scripted - you are playing your customized version of the character "V" but its their story, not your story. Some players wanted a life sim/sex sim instead of a game.)

Granted it is not as expansive as originally laid out but fable, diablo 2, mass effect, dragon age, Destiny (year 1) and other games have had the same issue.
Again its a game, we got a game, a great game, it will only get better, and even in its released state, it was a top tier gaming experience

Also does everyone forget every bethesda game comes out running like a box of rocks anymore? These engines are huge and complex far beyond what most consumers can even imagine. The amount of interacting code is impressive on all of these titles

Now its just common ground to be upset, and say witcher is better, - there isnt a game out that touches what cyberpunk offers

its the gaming community in general, always looking for the next new game to follow, and dream about, and write in forums about, and talk about - jump on the beta (OMG SO GOOD), watch the streams, (OMG THOSE PLAYS) play for 2 weeks, then 50% of the players quit because of the meta. or cheaters. or blah blah excuse - its everygame release ever all over again

If they botch that, by say, prioritizing the development of a multiplayer component whilst trying to fix the core game, then I'd see reason to question their reputation and the direction of the company in future titles. However, the fact that they are reconsidering this part of the game, in addition to acquiring a new studio in Vancouver, gives me some hope that they are reprioritizing their efforts to clean up the mess.

I understand what you mean but at the same time they announce parallel game development for 2022 + online features for all their upcoming games when they can't even deliver on one game?

Granted it is not as expansive as originally laid out but fable, diablo 2, mass effect, dragon age, Destiny (year 1) and other games have had the same issue.
Again its a game, we got a game, a great game, it will only get better, and even in its released state, it was a top tier gaming experience

You make a good point. When Peter Molyneux pitched us Fable, he wasn't telling us the things that were put into the game, he was telling us all the things he imagined you could do with the vision of Fable's world. A lot of us couldn't tell the difference between fantasy (both of the game and in Molyneux's imagination) and the reality of marketing and what we were going to get. We wanted to believe you could do the things Peter imagined we could do, because gamers love to be immersed in these worlds. There's no fault in the gamer for this. It would be like faulting a consumer for wanting what their product was/is pitched to deliver.

This is the issue with desiring a multiplayer component at this point of the fix. It isn't just that the main game itself needs it's dues. CDPR is at a crossroads with it's identity. It can stick to it's roots by holding fast to "enhancing" the single player component, or it can try to cash in on the disgusting micro-transaction, gamble boxes of an online iteration. If you were looking to rent out or buy a guest house on someone's property and their main house looked like a construction yard, are you likely to want to make a move on that purchase based on what they'll promise to do? I would hope not. As the property owner, their hope is to try and make money for the rebuild by betting you'll want to take that bait.

You do CDPR a very generous service by saying, even in it's released state, that CP2077 was a top tier gaming experience.

I understand what you mean but at the same time they announce parallel game development for 2022 + online features for all their upcoming games when they can't even deliver on one game?

That's the business, unfortunately.

The board of directors for CDPR all have some form of MBA, or Marketing and management degrees with however many years of experience in the business, so they kind of have to follow this nature. These people are interested in the growth of capital investments. I can only assume that their job would be to garner additional interest in CDPR as a powerhouse company. If they were to just go quiet and work on the game without releasing any additional development information, as to how they are growing or moving forward as a company, there would be an outrage. This is the information age, after all. It's a lose-lose scenario. The Witcher as an IP only has so much steam. If they weren't in the business of squeezing money out of every component of available revenue to honor shareholders, there wouldn't be a need for oversight or a pitch to garner publicity for the company's welfare.

I would recommend not pre-ordering games when it is stated repeatedly that the thing you are interested is not in the game.

I think Cyberpunk 2077 is going be CDPR's last single-player-only AAA game. From a technical point of view, the game is clearly too buggy to support multiple players at once and CDPR knows it. They would have to completely redesign the game and that's not gonna happen.

Judging from the content of their Strategy Update video, the company is clearly working on a multiplayer "experience" that will probably be integrated into future Witcher and Cyberpunk games. I wouldn't be surprised if The Witcher 4 featured some sort of co-op mode. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Was multiplayer cancelled or wasn't because art after reading a couple of recent articles I don't know...

Was multiplayer cancelled or wasn't because art after reading a couple of recent articles I don't know...
currently it seems that they paused plans for the standalone multiplayer game but think about adding online feature in the singleplayer one at some point... tho that also seems faaaar away for now.

Top Bottom