What do we think of the patch?

+
before 2.2 was fine on low for me
and now i require 8gig vid ram for a desktop with 400watt power that wont wwork for me

I love it! But I would have liked V to be able to smoke sitting on their bed of their apartment in the h10 mega building, since they have an ashtray next to the bed.

Hello all,

I don't like the patch 2.0 sorry because of unnecessary changes or changes done for worse.
  • Skill tree changes adding linear paths and temp buffs, simplistic and taking out in-game immersion are no good.
  • Crafting changes before you could try with random results. It really has no impact in the game.
  • Clothing changes with no attributes no tier, no reason to go after new versions of what you like.
  • Cyberware changes are cool many things added but pretty overwhelming. It needs more work.
  • Medikits and Throwable itens auto replenish and no upgrades this should be reconsidered.
  • Radio when walking added bugs to the game, it should be removed.
  • Enemy auto scaling is not good, you loose all the feeling of character in-game progression.
  • The vendors used to sell specialized itens so you go around looking for the best at you like, now they pretty much sell the same.
  • There is no economy, you get a lot of money doing the content and you can buy all you want without any effort.
It seems to me we are moving away from a RPG experience into a shallow shooter. :(

Now the DLC content is pretty good story and graphics wise. Dogtown zone, Mr Hand side quests and the new campaign are pretty good.

Last edited:
Besides from the annoying scaling to skill checks (really takes away the RP from the RPG that change, it punishes you for opting for a balanced build rather than pumping all points into one and also feels really silly given you see it increasing as you play) and, to a lesser extent, scaling NPCS (I don't mind a game that has distinct difficulty areas you can progress to and from, or a game where some enemies scale up, but every enemy scaling makes levelling up feel somewhat pointless), I'm loving the current version of the game.

For context, I played the game a lot in the first year or so and completed it four times. I just bought PL and opted to play a brand new character on Very Hard.

• I love the changes to the skill trees in general and the way they've been paired away from things like crafting and athletics has now gone entirely (no more punching walls or sprinting everywhere to level up athletics, yay; the moment I realised this was such a huge relief for me). The new tier system works well. Before, if you leant heavily into blades or throwing, you felt gimped until you got to a certain level. Now, I feel my strength increasing at a nice pace, even early on. And I can see very clear milestones ahead of me to progress to. It's easier to see all on one page, too. And it looks like they've eliminated a lot of the silly perks.
  • The skill progression paths are much better streamlined and the way you level them up feels a lot more passive. This is just a straight up improvement on how it was before, absolutely no down sides to it.
  • No more armour (I know transmog came a long time ago but I only tried it now) besides a couple pieces. I love how they've tied armour to your cyberwear now, makes loads more sense than t-shirts. The wardrobe system works really well. I like it.
  • The cyberwear system does feel a lot better, more of a progressive feel to it now. Before, it felt very much like jumps and starts (depending on whether you knew where to go and how much you could afford with eddies). Now, I can smoothly upgrade my chrome as I go. And there are way more options now, it's less cookie cutter. Before, I would only ever want double jump. Now, I find myself using the Lynx ones (stealth ones I guess).
  • In general, itemisation feels much more streamlined and simpler to understand. It took some time to adjust to because I was so used to the old system but if I were a new player then I could see it being way easier to grasp than the old, bloated system we had to begin with. It's clean cut but there are still tons of options for a player to enjoy. And I can see lots of new items in there too.
  • The new air hypo and grenade system is way better. I love it. It took me a minute to realise what was going on but once I did I saw how it was tied to tech and... yeh this is way, waaaay better. My build will be going into tech but if I didn't, I think it's still enough at its base line. Before, you could just spam stuff and upgrading/managing all the items was really unfun. Now, it's got the same simple system everything else has and combat feels genuinely tied to these two in a way that is way more exciting than it used to be. And if I want to, I can make it stronger. Really well done.
  • They've much improved blades, knives and throwing attacks. This ended up being my favourite build back when throwing was still pretty clunky. I like being able to retrieve my knife if I can get to the target (it's something I'm going to base my build on), I love the new knives in the game (used to be extremely limited) and I really love the synergy between reflexes and cool. And who doesn't love blocking/deflecting bullets like a Jedi?
  • More control over keyboard bindings is good. Shame there are still a few hard coded menu items that irritate (like, tab is used to switch off item comparisons... tab!) and this really does hard lock you away from using those keys. But an improvement is an improvement.
  • The NCART system is neat. I'd have made it show all the locations on the map immediately so you could actually use it early on without needing to ride the whole system to "unlock" stations on the map (they could be greyed out until you visit them, just visible so I could have an idea of how I might use it early on). Also, a toggle to show it over the map (with colours for lines too) would be perfect. As it is, though, it's reasonably well executed and good for role play.
  • I generally like the changes to economy and crafting. Crafting before was way, way too lucrative and so felt enforced but it was also a very messy, bloated and clunky process - it also demanded a lot of points into tech. Selling stuff felt pointless but now feels useful so it's a difficult decision between selling or scrapping. But it doesn't feel punitive to opt for either method. Need eddies? Sell some stuff. Otherwise, as I am upgrading items, the new streamlined materials/upgrade process is very nice indeed; but I can tell if I decided not to upgrade or craft at all, I'd have more eddies and so could buy stuff as I see it. Anyone who enjoyed the previous, clunky, messy system (that rewarded you for sitting in a shop, crafting, selling, waiting a day and repeating for infinity) compared to this is a masochist imo :D The only downside is crafting is tied to the schematics you find. I have still used this to make one item (I can craft a decent T3 knife and did this early on) but without using a third party spoiler site, how does a crafter actually obtain a specific schematic they want? This was always a problem with the game anyway but now crafting has been somewhat toned down, it becomes much more apparent. Upgrading is great now, I love it. I just think the way we find basic schematics could use work and only because this current system has the "too little too late" issue, where most players who don't cheat will discover schematics for items long after they no longer require them.
  • Being able to reset my perks at will is simply better for game play. Just a straight up positive. I know we used to be able to do this for eddies and I guess the trade off is we can now only reset our statistic options once? But being able to switch out to a different build for different scenarios, or just try stuff out with no penalty, is awesome.
  • Although I dislike scaling enemies, the overall progression system feels like my power is increasing in comparison to them, no doubt. In general, it felt easier as a new player in Very Hard, actually. I recall those initial fights early on being extremely tough until you levelled up. Now, it feels consistently difficult. I don't entirely dislike the idea of scaling enemies and it feels like they did a good job with the overall difficulty of the game (I'm being challenged in most scenarios and that's a good thing), I just don't think the entire game needs it. It's nice to have some stuff to out-level so you can feel all powerful at some points of the game and I get the impression that I'm never quite going to feel super powerful with this system. The up-side to scaling enemies is that the game feels a lot less linear now. One of my issues with how it used to be was when they made gigs appear only two at a time... this was awful when you could only do Watson, then Japantown and so on. Now, you can go do whatever you want. Cyberpsychos still feel OP though (tried one, at level 19, and there's simply no way I'm going to be able to beat that thing and not kill it unless I spec heavily into body and right-side tree). That's fine though, I'm treating them as "later game content" for when I've got my build ready for them.

I think there's more, I just can't remember it right now. General feeling is the game is in a great place. I've yet to reach PL content (not rushing either). If they'd released the game in this state, I have no doubt it would have gone on to be a gigantic smash success (more so than it was). For me, it feels almost like a new game, particularly given just how much core systems have changed. Mostly for the better.

Still hate scaling skill checks though. Sorry. I've all-but given up on ever getting to use most of those any more as I've gone for a balanced levelling approach, so none of my attributes are ever high enough. At least if I did this before, I'd come across some skill checks I could do simply by virtue of "coming back to them later". This doesn't work now, unless you force yourself to push one attribute early.

Last edited:
Top Bottom