What happened to the planned steam release?

+
A while ago cd stated they would release the game on all platforms including steam once it came out of beta, yet it seems this completely died down and I don't see a mention of it anywhere.
Did it got scrapped? Could we please get a confirmation? Will it eventually happen?

why would you buy game from steam if you can do it on GOG anyway? CDPR putting in everything 10 times more effort for less money so they deserve all support + drm free games which is big deal for me, you can play offline and no need to dealing with some bullshit drm even after you paid for game

sad news, but no steam release no buy for me. sadly gog galaxy for now is lightyears behind steam

You do know that for any games on GOG you don't need GOG Galaxy, other then Gwent which you don't "buy" anyway as its FTP. While GOG Galaxy is not perfect, with every update it is getting closer and closer to Steam and beyond.

I am glad CDPR is recognising it makes more sense to keep their great games on GOG only, free from DRM and they don't have to give Valve 30% of their price.
Plus who would want to buy DRM tied games on Steam when you can get them DRM free and truly own your games on GOG.

all true, but

- all my friends are on steam
- all my games are on steam, free or through gog connect are in galaxy
- all other cdpr games got steam release

but i hope they come to sences and (keep ther promise and) release gwent and TB on steam one day

On the one hand, releasing the game on Steam might reach a new player base. On the other hand, releasing the game on Steam means paying royalties to Valve. From a pure commercial standpoint, it might not be a good idea to release the game on Steam. However, even if that's the case, that doesn't automatically mean that money is or should be the only motivator.

I think they should consider it. They could simply take the money they would give to valve as what they would pay for a good commercial campaign. The huge player base steam offers shouldn't be taken lightly. Besides, they already pay royalties to Sony for gwent on PS4, don't they?

for me Im gonna continue to play f2p Gwent like before (using gog.galaxy only as updater for a game) and TB im gonna play for "free", but if one day someday going to get steam release then Its a instant buy

but maybe they testing the waters with this to see to release or not CyberPunk2077 on steam or keep it on gog only, but I'm 100% sure that CyberPunk2077 is going to be on steam too.

Sorry but no steam release no buy. And i think there's no point keep playing it if there will be no steam release. Disappointed.

People not buying the game < Selling the game at a cost.

you'll most likely see it ending up on steam (If the sales on GOG are abysmal to the point where next to no one is buying the game on GOG).

Have they stated whether or not if Thronebreaker requires an internet connection to be played?

Hey everyone!

I've been away from Gwent for quite a while now (six months or so) - my plan was to come back to it when it was released on Steam, as I just like all my games in one place, where possible.

I know in the past, CDPR had specifically said Gwent would be released on Steam. It was my understanding that it would be released on Steam sometime around or just after Thronebreaker. However, I've recently read a few links around the net that said the opposite, that Gwent and Thronebreaker would be exclusive to GoG.

I'm just wondering if there's any more news on this? If Gwent is confirmed never coming to Steam, I'll get back on GoG this minute! I love Gwent to pieces. But the last thing i want to do is invest more time/money into a GoG version, if a Steam version is coming out in the (near) future.

Thanks for reading, honestly any news would be massively appreciated!

EDIT - thanks Mod for merging this post, it doesn't really provide a lot of information, but I suppose it's the best we have at the moment!

Last edited:
That's really something wrong with this world. We have stupid console exclusives, that makes normal people restricted from playing good games. Now we have stupid exclusives inside PC community.

Everyone understands, Steam is not perfect, but when you have the whole collection of Witcher games on Steam account, as well as friends, discussions, shared guides, it looks pretty strange to go somewhere else to play another Witcher universe game. And tbh there is no obvious reason for doing that.

Some people say, Gabe is greedy bastard, he takes 30% from each copy sold.
That's fine by me, you can put 10$ game in GOG and the same game for 15$ in Steam to mitigate loses, and it will be up to me to decide whether i want to save money, or to have all the games in one place.

I'm a great fan of CDPR games, supported them with each game and DLCs that came out. Shame the Thronebreaker went the other way.
Twice the bad news, it happened with really nice devs.

I mean, Thronebreaker seems to be doing much better on Steam than on GOG, so why not release the multiplayer CCG there as well?

[...] so why not release the multiplayer CCG there as well?

Besides the 30% of the profits Steam gets, the integration with GOG Galaxy needs to be solved, which will conflict with Steam as it stands now. I do expect the game to be released on Steam eventually, though.

Top Bottom