Why crach an craite cant attack own units

+
This doesnt make any sense considering there are many units in Skellige deck that benefit from self wounding.

First one is olaf Who boost himself.
Then blue boy lugos who deals 2 damage each time he recieves damage.
Then we have those female warriors which can spawn another when she is damaged.
Also female warrior which summons same unit from deck when damaged.
Same with those 3 skulls that deal 2 damage when destroyed.
Then we have synergy witj that guy that boost himself each time adjecent unit takes damage and that female with bear that each round heal all units on row by 1.

Now with introduction of berserk units its pretty clear this nerf doesnt make sense.

So why are you taking away great synergy this leader provides?????????????

Because it would render the new leader, Svalblod, obsolete
Not at all, not even remotely. Svalblod can do his thing in "burst". Crach is very much limited in his "once upon a time" approach. There is huge difference between Svalblod and Crach. Designers already could notice significant difference between Eithne and Crach. If there would not be difference, Eithne should have 8 charges, because Crach can do about 8 damage per game. Svalblod is much more similar to Eithne rather than Crach. Svalblod is to Crach like Tainted Ale is to Mastercrafted Spear.

Even if Crach would stay as he was, Svalblod would be nowhere near to being obsolete.

Even if Crach would stay as he was, Svalblod would be nowhere near to being obsolete.

Obsolete might be a bit harsh, but my point still stands. The flexibility of Crach outweighs the "burst" potential of Svalblod. Also, if you actually have to use multiple charges in the same turn, that's usually not a good sign either, unless you're in the final round. With Crach you can spread out the damage, which is usually a good thing, unless you're in a short round. Incidentally, that's why Harald isn't popular. He has to use all his "charges" in one go, making it an all or nothing gambit.

Furthermore, you cannot compare Eithné with Crach because it's a different faction. Eithné was the queen of alignment, scorching units with Schirrú and, well, Scorch. But the triple nerf has put a big dent in that archetype. She has the highest provisions for a reason. If, hypothetically speaking, Eithné was part of Skellige (and achievements/contracts weren't a thing), then everyone would still be using Crach, with the exception of a few lore or meme decks.

Crach has been one of the stronger leaders for some time now, only losing some popularity because of his recent nerf and the buff to Coral (and thus Bran). Svalblod isn't played much to begin with. If Crach would still have his self-damage ability, it would overshadow Svalblod even more.

Not at all, not even remotely. Svalblod can do his thing in "burst". Crach is very much limited in his "once upon a time" approach. There is huge difference between Svalblod and Crach. Designers already could notice significant difference between Eithne and Crach. If there would not be difference, Eithne should have 8 charges, because Crach can do about 8 damage per game. Svalblod is much more similar to Eithne rather than Crach. Svalblod is to Crach like Tainted Ale is to Mastercrafted Spear.

He will be come OP probably though...I mean he can use Blood thirst AND self wound at the same time. I shudder to think what would that bring.

@4RM3D I do not think, that reason for Harald being not so popular is need to use all his potential in one go. I rather think, his problem is unability to pinpoint damage, because that damage is dealt randomly, you can not specify even row (unlike with at example Delirium). If it would have been possible to exactly direct each damage point from Harald, he would be much more similar to Eithne. As it is now, your best bet to use Harald is to use him in a way, where only swinging wildly around matters, without need to do precise hits. In my opinion, that is what is very significantly limiting Harald's potential and in extent his popularity.
Post automatically merged:

@aiat_gamer He would not have "become" Overpowered, he was working like that all the time, until developers changed it with release of new expansion about 2 weeks ago. And I believe, that change was not based on statistical data, it was rather made "pre-emptively", because of developers were probably worrying of Crach's overshadowing of Svalblod.

Last edited:
I rather think, his problem is unability to pinpoint damage

That is also part of it. Speaking of which, to continue with the weird faction disparity, compare Adda (16p) with Harald (13p); both deal 8 damage. The advantage of Adda is the targetability, with the disadvantage of having overkill damage (and thus wasted). Meanwhile, Harald can basically always hit for 8, but cannot target units. Solely based on this, Adda is always better. Even with overkill value, shutting down an engine is worth more points and she has 3 more provisions.

But what about Dagur and Co? Dagur is like a leader specific Hubert. Dagur and Co is the raison d'être of Harald. This tells us two things: Harald is badly designed and we shouldn't compare leaders in a vacuum. Incidentally, while Harald + Dagur can be a strong finisher, you usually do not have the luxury to use them as such. And to rub more salt in the wound, Adda + Hubert does a better job.

(Note to self: this has made me realize the faction disparity is greater than I thought. I might need to make a new topic out of this.)

rrc

Forum veteran
That is also part of it. Speaking of which, to continue with the weird faction disparity, compare Adda (16p) with Harald (13p); both deal 8 damage. The advantage of Adda is the targetability, with the disadvantage of having overkill damage (and thus wasted). Meanwhile, Harald can basically always hit for 8, but cannot target units. Solely based on this, Adda is always better. Even with overkill value, shutting down an engine is worth more points and she has 3 more provisions.

But what about Dagur and Co? Dagur is like a leader specific Hubert. Dagur and Co is the raison d'être of Harald. This tells us two things: Harald is badly designed and we shouldn't compare leaders in a vacuum. Incidentally, while Harald + Dagur can be a strong finisher, you usually do not have the luxury to use them as such. And to rub more salt in the wound, Adda + Hubert does a better job.

(Note to self: this has made me realize the faction disparity is greater than I thought. I might need to make a new topic out of this.)

Really well said @4RM3D!!

But now I am actually scared. CDPR's idea of balancing SK leader when they are not used to an acceptable level, is to boost them to insane level so that all SK players start using them (while all the other are insanely powerful).

Bran not used? Let's give him +3 provisions! Yeah!!

Coral not used? Let's give her God mode. Yeah!! Even when the thinning options for all other Factions were robbed, Coral stays the same. Birna was +2ed, but still she is in 100% of the decks indicating that all these months SK has +2 provisions and +2 point advantage.

All SK leaders can come up with a Tier 1 deck. Couple of days back Freddy played Eist and he was bloody unbeatable. He can do the same with all SK leaders comfortably. Partly because he is a great player. He tried NR today and can't do anything.

As long as Discard is fixed such that it is worth only with Bran, all SK leaders are Tier 1 worthy as they can thin to near 0 and can ALWAYS ALWAYS pull off any combos they want.

I hope CDPR doesn't give +3 provisions to Harald and make him God mode while giving all other Gods rest.

Top Bottom