Why do these dystopic games never have psychiatrists?

+
These stories usually have people who came from broken homes, bad neighborhoods, bad relationships, abuse, etc., and in sci-fi dystopia, tech-related crises and existential threats, etc. Even in the backward 2020 like our time, we have counseling, psychiatric help, support groups and the likes. Why can't these alternate universes have them too? The Sopranos has proven that psychiatrists could make for fascinating storylines too. Here's hoping.

The only evidence of this, is a small bit of dialogue you have with your life coach during the prologue of the corpo path.

JagoA

Forum regular
They probably do... just you know, only for the wealthy (not super different than the reality unfortunately lol).

Guest 4519094

ziggyQ has an interview with a psychiatrist about psychosis,
there's also many NPCs that talk about their counselor,
you also can help decide the fate of someone by sitting with them and talking ...
sandra dorsett's psychiatric help covered by trauma team is also mentionned ...
there's also brendon the .... yea in fact the list about that topic is really long :D

what a great game

They exist but it just doesn't show. Unless the plot demand it, there is no need to show all kinds of professionals around. It's not like you see characters use the toilet but that doesn't mean that they don't.

Back Against the Wall explicitly features emails from a character's psychiatrist. Also, Vik literally runs an antivirus on your brain during The Ripperdoc, which would suggest rippers provide psychiatric services. Demons of War also features a guy getting PTSD treatment.

Psychiatry comes up a lot.

er, well there is a mental wellness center (it has a sign on the building that indicates it is mental health company) in one of the "better off" cities where anyone on the street can go in to mediaite.

It is set up as an arboretum with a large tree and shuts out most of the outside city noise. It has, I guess recordings (?) of birds and other fauna. It is really very pleasant but the DEV made the big mistake of not allowing you to sit down on one of the beaches to listen to the nature sounds in this meditative greenhouse.

I was disappointed that it did not give you some attribute boost of some kind. That kind of thing was all over the Oblivion game and I loved finding those little added things in that game. Like watching two fighters practicing outside the ARENA gave you some fighting stats boosts as you got some "tips" on combat from watching them.

Some of the examples you guys mentioned are so peripheral that they might as well not be there. RPGs originated from fantasy stories that didn't need psychiatrists (and a host of other things), and futuristic RPGs simply inherited a lot of such conventions. Also, certain subject matters like psychiatry and mental illness just don't parlay well into meaningful gameplay. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was praised for depicting a mental condition, but it only gave us a very superficial glimpse and treatment. I'm looking to future horror games to delve deeper into these issues since many horror games deal with psychological terror. I haven't seen one yet since horror is often a gratuitous genre.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Drugs and junk food. What else do you need?
Not happy? Maybe try some body implants that let's you sniff four lines of Mr. Whitey simultaneously

On the other hand, psychiatrists in real life aren't very visible either, right? They're not running down the street shouting "I'm a psychiatrist!" (at least not the real ones).

Last edited:
The psychopaths are the psychiatrists. Violence and themes of survival whether physical or emotional helps humans evolve and become stronger, this is as universal as the concept of beauty.

I'm glad not everything "adult" in media has to do with psychiatry, because sometimes it's just morbid misinformation or insensitive exploitation of mental illness. I enjoy me some psychological Batman, but sometimes I just want to give all that a rest, it can become pretty intense.

I still want to play Hellblade and I thought Cyberpunk 2077 was heading in that direction and I, oh, so naive, thought that we'd actually have to take red or blue pills (a clear nod to the Matrix there) throughout some points of the game (like the whiffs that Vector told us to take but then we took none) to either drift away or towards Johnny... and well, the whole scene of us crawling on the floor of the apartment felt very real, dark, intense... but at least not meanspirited, but emotional.

I'm also just getting back into Psycho Pass, rewatched season 1 which I found not as good as I remembered, rewatched season 2 which is every bit as bad as I remembered being too tryhard and edgy, and the movie which was cool. But I for one, just 3 episodes deep into Season 3 I'm glad they toned down the "gore" because when you're not making it completely clear whether the Dominator detects "the psychological inclination to crime" or just "mental illness", that lack of clarity was making it look pretty objectionable that the treatment for that was making people explode (I mean, in season 2 there's the whole scene of the hostages kind of making it like that). Season 3, so far, is looking promising, less try-hard edgy than the first 2 seasons and they seem to be doing a thing towards finally dismantling the status quo? Or will they just work for it? I guess I'll see...

These stories usually have people who came from broken homes, bad neighborhoods, bad relationships, abuse, etc., and in sci-fi dystopia, tech-related crises and existential threats, etc. Even in the backward 2020 like our time, we have counseling, psychiatric help, support groups and the likes. Why can't these alternate universes have them too? The Sopranos has proven that psychiatrists could make for fascinating storylines too. Here's hoping.

They also don't have barbers in this game.. So I think a lot of things were cut.why would you want a psychiatrist if you don't have a barber.

the quest with monks is clear therapy and next discussion with them after is interesting
misty also plays the role of a therapist

You may have answered your own question. Because that whole 'tell me how you feel' thing doesn't sell games. :shrug:

Might make for semi-interesting TV in some niche circles, but I can't imagine too many people care about having their head shrunk in a game. Most people don't want to be bothered with psychiatry and/or mental illness in the real world, they certainly don't want to play a game (a typically escapist pursuit) just to have it thrown at them there too.

Top Bottom