Wiedźmin TV series

+
Wiedźmin TV series

So, I'm making my way through the fan-translated copies of the Polish TV show based on The Witcher and quite liking it. It's not brilliant, but for the budget it captures the feel fairly well (and the actor playing Geralt is pretty good too).
I was wondering if it's been released on DVD anywhere in Europe? Couldn't find anything except the hacked together film, which I'd rather avoid...

Actor playing Geralt in TV series is Michał Żebrowski.

Actor voicing Geralt in games is Jacek Rozenek.

Adonai- said:
So, I'm making my way through the fan-translated copies of the Polish TV show based on The Witcher and quite liking it. It's not brilliant, but for the budget it captures the feel fairly well (and the actor playing Geralt is pretty good too).
I was wondering if it's been released on DVD anywhere in Europe? Couldn't find anything except the hacked together film, which I'd rather avoid...

What do you mean by "not brilliant"? The writing? The acting? The photograghy, costumes and visuals?

I watched it a while ago and now I am re-watching it with my wife. Honestly, I think for modern television standards the show is quite good. Visual effects are somewhat cheesy but the point is that most of the fantastic stuff is only suggested. The show is not a wild display of magic and monsters, but rather, like the saga, about people and interactions.

So yeah, it's not a high-budget bombastic TV show, but hey, maybe that's a good thing. It would be cool to have a higher quality DVD release and official subtitles. I really appreciate that fans worked on them, and thanks to them I was able to watch it, but... well... they have some serious flaws :p

volsung84 said:
What do you mean by "not brilliant"? The writing? The acting? The photograghy, costumes and visuals?
Welp, in my opinion, the middle of the series is pretty enjoyable. But beginning and ending are complete BS. Lot of retcons and changes from the books. I mean, Vesemir is suddenly druid or something? Kaer Morhenn is full of potential witchers? I dont get why creators of series decided to change things like this.

But as I said, middle of the series, I enjoyed a lot, despite low budget. I just loved the atmosphere of polish nature, music and even acting. Yennefer was exactly how I imagined her in books. Jaskier...not so much, when it comes to looks, but he was funny and likeable, just as in books. And Geralt was great too. But I just couldn´t get over those absolutely STUPID changes to lore and story.

Babli said:
Welp, in my opinion, the middle of the series is pretty enjoyable. But beginning and ending are complete BS. Lot of retcons and changes from the books. I mean, Vesemir is suddenly druid or something? Kaer Morhenn is full of potential witchers? I dont get why creators of series decided to change things like this.

But as I said, middle of the series, I enjoyed a lot, despite low budget. I just loved the atmosphere of polish nature, music and even acting. Yennefer was exactly how I imagined her in books. Jaskier...not so much, when it comes to looks, but he was funny and likeable, just as in books. And Geralt was great too. But I just couldn´t get over those absolutely STUPID changes to lore and story.

That is true, and I also agree that what they did to Vesemir is just retarded. Dandelion is smart and funny, but I don't think he should look that way either, heh. Yennefer was great, as was Geralt IMO. Also, Kaer Morhen is shown as some kind of lame caverns, not some kind of "Sea Fortress" (Keep).

But the thing is, like any other ADAPTATION, they are free to reinterpret things to their liking. Most movies/shows are not exactly like the books for several reasons, even if we wanted them to be.

On its own, I think the series are fine. They freely changed many things from the saga, but keep in mind it was their work and interpretation, just like CD Projekt did some changes of their own, like Adda for example.

volsung84 said:

Don't get me wrong, I like it. The acting, the cast, the atmosphere - it all works for me. The first couple of episodes with the Witcher school rubbed the wrong way with me though, differing too much from the books, as did Jaskier/Dandelion being less debonair and more bumbling...

And I appreciate the massive undertaking the fans did to translate and sub it, but sometimes it can pull you out of the scene when they either flash too fast to read or have a bunch of typos :)

Absolutely love the music though, I'd almost go so far as to say it's better than the music from the games.

I'm going to presume it hasn't been released on DVD anywhere?

Adonai- said:

Sorry, no TVshow DVD release, as far i know.
Only The Witcher movie was released on DVD

Adonai- said:
I'm going to presume it hasn't been released on DVD anywhere?

I'm afraid not, only the film (not only on DVD, I've also seen Blu-ray in German). So it's much easier to make your own DVD with the series)) Is there only fan subs for it? Not any professionally made?

Hate to say it, but I didn't like TVshow (and the film either)... Tried to watch it but got stuck on 3rd series. I really loved the books, have read them more than 4 times, but film... Michael Zebrowski is good (I saw him in other films, and The Hexer is not his best, but he's good:) ). Ok, it's free retelling of the saga with small budget, I didn't expect much. But precisely not what I've seen. I've got the atmosphere of the books in both Witcher games, and it didn't matter what they'd changed in a story. But in film all these changes and "author's interpretations" only made me laugh (in best case) or irritated (in worst).
I'm not saying it's good or bad, surely some people like the film. Or the series. Or both. We are free to choose anything we like, wright? :p

Thardval said:
Is there only fan subs for it? Not any professionally made?
There are professional subtitles for TV series. Sub was made (just as a series and a film) by Polish public television. Sometimes it is aired on TVP Polonia - TV channel available through satelite/cable.
Here is it's website.

Finished watching it the other day. Really doesn't deserve the bad rep it's got - it was pretty good.

Hopefully some better quality versions of the episodes make their way online some day might try my hand at tidying up the subtitles if they do.

Think I might make the theme my new ringtone as well

Top Bottom