Wild boar of the Queen deck

+
Wild boar of the Queen deck

Hi everyone,
It's the first time I share one of my exotic deck list but I really like this one, tested it on both Casual and ranked and it works very well too.
The general idea of the deck is to combine both resurrection/Queensguard tactic with self wound/warcry.

The key card of this deck is obviously the new Restore (which is amazing) that allows you for a few combos.

The primary tactic is the self damaging one, get your Greatswords/Berserkers (I love to play with them, they make the deck so much stronger imo) and light longship which allows you to get ahead on tempo. When your board is established, play Bran to discard the Queensguard which allows you to play the one you might have in hand to get a huge burst afterwards.
Of course this is the basic idea, the strategy might be a little different depending on the situation/match up but this is the main idea.

Please notice that the QG are not "too heavy" in the deck, you want to send them away if you find more than one in your opening hand anyway and everything else is multi task (you can use the priestesses to get them back or get a Greatsword, bear or whatever. It's not specific to the QG obviously).

If you don't find your QG round one, it's not a bad idea to discard other cards you need for the self wounding strategy (like Djenge Frett if you have Sigerdrifa in hand for example) and just avoid them completely for the rest of the game. It's a bit risky because at this point you don't want to draw them but it's not riskier than playing the light cavalery in NR for example. I tried it and it works fine.
Another option is to just play your discarding tactic normaly and hope to draw one later on. Oddly I found this way of manipulating the deck a lot riskier but drawing one later on is very powerful.

Overall the deck still has the same issues as any SK resurrect deck BUT since the main tactic is the self wounding one, there is a lot of things you can do to trick your opponent or reduce the damage a counter play could cause.
For a start, the QG plan isn't obvious as long as you keep Bran in hand, plus it gives you value because of this leader's Veteran ability so, depending on the match up, it's often a good idea to wait before using him (I even had a game where I played him round 3 and managed to win).
Also, if your opponent disrupt your resurrect plan, the self wounding one is always viable and you can redirect your tactic a lot easier than a "pure" QG deck. I fought quiet a few bad match up as I tested the deck, I'm not gonna pretend it's easy, clearly it's not but you have options, more than usual, at least it's how it felt to me.

I also added a few cards that allows you for some funny combos. Restore and QG synergy is pretty obvious, you play restore, get your weakest QG, makes her a 1O str unit that calls her friend for the rescue. But there is a few more things you can do.
For example, Restoring Gremist is pretty sick. I did it and it's a lot of value. And not only that but Gremist as a 1O is already staggered with the bear he can make (only one point but that's enough to make the cut). If nothing else, restoring a boat isn't bad either (it strengthen it by 4 and replay it for value...not too shabby imo).

The other "combo card" is Summoning circle. This one is more obvious but for those who aren't acquainted with this card here are a few ideas of what you can do with it in this deck specifically : The primary target for it are the QG and the best moment to play it (usually) is if your opponent dry pass on you.
You play a QG (or a priestess) and take the round. Since you're the one who won the previous round, you're going first, play Summoning circle that copies the last Silver or bronze unit that hit the battlefield (which is the QG that won you the previous round)...congratulation, you now have 4 of them on the board...
I think this card is a LOT better in a QG deck than Operator which can be awesome if you get him in your opening hand but gets fairly terrible at any other point of the game. This is not the case with SC which is a bit more challenging to play with but always gives you value if you learn to play it properly.

The great thing with this card in this deck specifically is when you use it with Donar because this guy is basically a Swiss knife in this deck. Not only he gets you QG (and other Greatsword)) back to your graveyard if they happen to be stolen but he also unlock your Greatsword/Longship/Wild boar of the sea.

And speaking of which, Wild boar of the sea is another interesting card for this deck. You can use it on bear or Greatswords to make them grow but you can also drop it next to a QG to buff her.

That's about it. as I said, the deck is doing great for me so far and it's a first shot anyway, I will experiment different things to see if I can optimize it.
Feel free to give me your feedback.

EDIT : I've done further testing in ranked and the deck became my staple in this format.
It's actually performing better than I expected. The double identity of the deck helps a lot for the different match ups you encounters and it's very easy to switch from a game plan to another depending on the situation.
I'm gonna give you my feeling with each match up as I face them (I will edit the post regularly).
And don't feel bad if nobody reads it, at the very least it will be helpful for me, if I fight a match up and don't quiet remember it, I have everything I need here.

CALVEIT SPY : A difficult match up but nothing unbeatable, far from it. Spies are going to be a nuisance because your opponent is probably going to put them right between your longship and whatever you want to buff with them. It's a good counter play but it's not the end of the world, the spy is going to die and the ship still gets buffed. Plus you have other ways of triggering your greatsword/berserkers so, no reason to panic.
Your 2 biggest problems are Aukes and Menno. The first for the same reason as Radovid and the second because he can very easily take 18+ points over your Greatswords or longship in one go. Assassins are also going to be a pain in the butt and there is not much you can do about it. But your opponent has to play them early, otherwise everything is going to grow out of their range. Always "sacrifice" your Berserkers first, as your Greatsword will be pretty much immune to them as soon as you can get them over 1O str (meaning that they need to survive the first round).
Be careful with the QG plan, if your opponent plays Vicaro medics it's not gonna be pretty. The good new however, is that you can play Bran a lot later than a "pure" res/discard deck, meaning you can tease your opponent for quiet a long time and force him/her to steal some weakest units.
You can even outplay your opponent by waiting for him to steal your Greatswords/Bears with medics and then respond by discarding QG and Cerys and res them.
Dodging Menno can be tricky but it's doable. Just keep your eyes up and when you see your opponent playing an infiltrator on a huge unit, try to evaluate when he/she's gonna strike with Menno. Right before it happens, play Dinar to lock your own unit or sacrifice it with Gremist so at least you save 11 points out of the deal. That last play however, is extremely risky since your opponent can very much not have it and you would basically shoot your own self for no reason if that's the case. Only use it as a last resort option or if you have an undoubtful proof that your opponent has Menno in hand.
One last bit of advice, Yennifer can sometimes be insane in this match up. The reason for that being, your opponent is probably going to give you a lot of spies and will usually damage other units with his enforcers, meaning you're very likely to have more units than him/her....A lot more....wink wink.

MILL : This match up is strangely fairly easy. Round one is relatively easy to win with all your ship/berserkers/Greatsword's synergy and your only thinning is your leader, which you can just wait on. In fact there is a little trick that consists into drawing all of your QG and put them next to a longship. Since the rounds are going to be pretty long your entire team is gonna die, buffing the longship in the process. Then you Restore a QG for an insane power swing. This is also where the Warcrier gets insane (to a ridiculous level). Since your boats are going to pin your Greatswords and get buffed little by little (easily reaching 3O+ str on the late game), you can use Djenge Frett to damage them and then finish off with the Warcrier...I reached 248 points when my opponent conceded in one of my games...And I had some more fuel in hand afterwards. I was borderline disappointed that he conceded, I'm very curious to know how much I could get after playing all my cards. lol

SCOIA'TAEL MOVEMENT : Probably one of the most difficult match up, The units constantly moving your stuffs is a pain in the butt for your longship and everything they can pin, however, you have some tools to get the upper hand.
A lot of units that moves yours or benefits from it also damage them, which is good for both Greatswords and Berserker.
Also, this deck tend to run Gold weather cards which is far from being the worst for you. The GS are great against weather and you can use the same kind of trick I described against mill with the QG (wait for them to die from weather and finish the round by restoring them for a huge power swing).
Your opponent is going to line up your units on a single row to get a massive Hailstorm, good, so does you. It's gonna buff your Greatsword and the rest isn't going to be that high anyway. The only scenario that can make you lose is if your opponent time it so you don't get their last activation but this is not always possible to accomplish (in fact it's really difficult to do so).

RADOVID ARMOR : The match up isn't nearly as tough as I expected it to be. You can trick your opponent by switching between the longship and QG game plan, forcing him either to keep his Radovid for a long time or waste it on a single unit.
If you have to play something you expect to get locked, play the Greatsword. They're much better because Radovid damage as well as locking the unit, meaning if you unlock it using Donar, he basically get a free activation from your opponent.
Speaking of which, Donar is extremely important in the match up, don't hesitate to mulligan quiet aggressively to get him.
Not only he gives you the ability to unlock a unit but he can also steal a Dun banner cavalery that can be resurrected by a priestess if a Trollolo or a Stennis shows up. Coral is also a very key card in this match up (denies Trollolo and any big str units....plse no Coral on Stennis. I know it denies the Shani res chain later on but honestly, it's preventing a huge power swing in the late game with a very slow tempo play now (Coral on Stennis is a 6 str power swing) which is not a winning plan as far as I know. Something is going to eat all those armor anyway, just wait for it to show up before striking with Coral).

Attachments

• WILDBOAROFTHEQUEEN.jpg
    WILDBOAROFTHEQUEEN.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Top Bottom