Best neutral gold card to craft

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Best neutral gold card to craft

I searched the forum and the latest question was older than an year. So, asking again.

Taking the advice from the forum members, I milled all the spare cards and now I have 1600 scraps. I am still not sure if I should craft more silvers or few gold cards, but since I am a F2P player my current gold cards suck. So, thought of creating 2 gold cards and I want to create neutral ones so that I can use in all decks. I did some research in gwentdb and found that the top five gold neutral cards are
1) Triss Telekenisis (27% decks use this)
2) Vesemir Mentor (14%)
3) Dandelion Poet (13%)
4) Muzzle (10%)
5) Renew (5%)

I like Muzzle's concept (charming Imelirth: Sabbath, or a Greatsword, or Archeporus.. all the annoying cards). Renew seems promising, but not many use it (why?). Due to my intense hate on alchemy decks, I don't want to go alchemy way and hence Vesemir doesn't fit my game. Can you please advice me on which ones to craft?

Or if I should go with 8 silvers or 1 gold and 4 silvers? I mostly play a weak Francesca or a weak Henselt deck.

Well it depends what kind of Francesca or Henselt deck you play. Maybe you would be better of with faction specific golds.

Muzzle can only steal bronzes and silvers so it's not much help against Sabbath. Otherwise it's fairly good.
Vesemir Mentor usually played with Mandrake and a faction runestone. So you have to include two silver or bronze Alchemy cards to make it work.
Renew sometimes bricks. But if you play Skellige for example you can resurrect Coral or Madman Lugos, Hym. How good it is depends on what you want to Renew with it.
Dandelion: Poet good for deck thining, from the cards that you mentioned maybe this is the universally best one.

What gold cards do you play in your decks?

Last edited:
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc
I tried doing the same thing you are when I started and crafting gold's I could use everywhere to get maximum value out of my crafting, however, I have really found that faction specific gold's do a better job of creating a competitive deck. That being said I feel triss telekinesis and geralt igni can find a home in a lot of decks. I run recon in most of my decks so triss is helpful for more thinning and sometimes I get something good from the other player's deck. And geralt igni helps deal with all the decks that create huge cards like spotters or all of the skellige decks. Just my two cents :)

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
styape;n10861061 said:
Well it depends what kind of Francesca or Henselt deck you play. Maybe you would be better of with faction specific golds.

Muzzle can only steal bronzes and silvers so it's not much help against Sabbath. Otherwise it's fairly good.
Vesemir Mentor usually played with Mandrake and a faction runestone. So you have to include two silver or bronze Alchemy cards to make it work.
Renew sometimes bricks. But if you play Skellige for example you can resurrect Coral or Madman Lugos, Hym. How good it is depends on what you want to Renew with it.
Dandelion: Poet good for deck thining, from the cards that you mentioned maybe this is the universally best one.

What gold cards do you play in your decks?

Thanks! I didn't realize Muzzle only works against Silver and Bronze! What does 'bricks' mean? Like backfire?

For Francesca: Triss Marrigold (Free card), Lambert Swordmaster (got it from a keg), Ioverth (got it from keg), Ciri Nova (The only gold card I crafted after a lot of games to this card)
For Henselt: Instead of Ioverth Vandergrift (got it from keg), and instead of Ciri Nova Priscilla (free card which was already with me)

I replaced Geralt with Lambert as sometimes he is worth a lot (I had got 44 point worth from him once!) and in worst case he is worth only 12 (in most cases 16).

jgolden234;n10861081 said:
I tried doing the same thing you are when I started and crafting gold's I could use everywhere to get maximum value out of my crafting, however, I have really found that faction specific gold's do a better job of creating a competitive deck. That being said I feel triss telekinesis and geralt igni can find a home in a lot of decks. I run recon in most of my decks so triss is helpful for more thinning and sometimes I get something good from the other player's deck. And geralt igni helps deal with all the decks that create huge cards like spotters or all of the skellige decks. Just my two cents :)

Geralt Igni is a risky card. If the opponent is smart and distributes the points equally, he will be a disaster. So, should I craft Triss: Telekenisis and Dandelion Poet?

rrc;n10861131 said:
What does 'bricks' mean
Sorry, I mean becomes dead, which means if you don't have a renewable gold card in the graveyard, it's basically a 0 point play. Ciri:Nova for instance is not renewable. (You can't use Renew on Gold cards with a Doomed tag).

Well if you plan to play Henselt, or Northern Realms, I would say Seltkirk of Gulet, Shani or Sigismund Dijkstra is better option than natural cards.
Seltkirk of Gulet, Vandergrift, Royal Decree, Renew maybe? I don't really play much Northern Realms.

If you replace Triss or Lambert with Royal Decree you can pull out Ciri:nova from your deck if it's not in your hand.

I would suggest Uma's Curse but it's more riskier then Igni.

• RED Point
Triss TK works very well in Henselt Machines if you are using winches, and ok if you use doppler spam for ST. the others really aren't great for either leader. Poet is really only good for deck thinning and a hail mary search for a card while tossing an extra 5pt unit out. Vesemir can work in Marauder/ale and spell-a-tael deck, but you'd usually run Ethine for that. Renew is generally only popular for all-in Sabbath, or other power replay golds (Olaf, for example).

My advice it don't be afraid to focus on one faction deck, and only aim for neutrals if it's something you want for decks that you are already building.

PS if you don't have them yet, NR has some really good power silvers like Nenneke, Reinforcements, Stennis, Ronvid, Ves, Sile, and Margarita

• RED Point

DRK3

Forum veteran
I would also say that specific faction golds are usually better, but i understand in the beginning a good neutral gold is more appealing as you can use it on any faction, when i started i also focused on Neutrals, but lots of those Neutrals are terrible now.

I would say Triss Telekinesis is pretty great and can work in all factions, even if its just for an extra reconnaisance which should easily provide 16-20 pts.

Another Neutral Gold i love and recommend, and has remained the same since the beginning is Yennefer - the original one. She's not as versatile, but can still be pretty deadly in NR (unicorn - swarm, chironex - armor), monsters swarm, NG swarm... even SC swarm, with all the mulligan elves. Or you could go for a deck with few units and use chironex since most decks nowadays put tons of units on board.

• RED Point
For Henselt, you have some good neutral options in gold and silver.

Commander's horn is generally not worth it, but Scorch is. So is Alzur's Double Cross to tutor the spy or Ronvid which is essential.

The most notable golds are Muzzle and (if you are not playing with Siege towers) Villentretenmerth. Very often, especially with Ballistas, you can align a big scorch for the dragon :)

If you are playing a Henselt deck, it's worth looking into turning it a Machines deck as it has been one of the most successful decks in Gwent for a long time now

• RED Point
I'd say Muzzle - you can usually get full value from it (16 point swing, sometimes more if you steal a good engine) and you may even make plays with it that are game winning in round 1! Stealing an enemy Ronvid is amazing. I could add muzzle to almost any deck and be happy with it.

Triss is the consistency supplement to decks that are running a bronze set of spells and probably isn't worth it if your bronze/gold core isn't properly built. She can also, sometimes, get partially bricked if your opponent is running lots of spells (NG Alchemy, NR Control, etc) but even in these cases will still be a decent number of points - Triss against Alchemy can net you 18 points with a mahakam, Triss against a moon deck can help counter boons.

Vesemir is good in NG Alchemy, but it requires you to either buy silver runestones and/or silver Alchemy cards to be truly worth it. At your stage, I wouldn't spend scrap on anything but the essentials to build a T1 or T2 deck.

Dandelion is there for tempo, and is a gold equivalent of Roach. Understanding how and when to play with tempo is important when you add this card to your deck. Personally I'd rather stick with Roach and save the gold spot (and 600 scrap).

I wouldn't get Renew. The current meta is pretty much 'drypass drypass R3'. It requires a gold card to be in your graveyard and so can get bricked pretty easy, especially if you're going into R3 with no golds in your graveyard. Certain gold cards are also usually best kept for certain situations, and that situation may not present itself in later rounds. Royal decree is usually better and it's a lot harder to brick.

TLDR: I could add Muzzle to pretty much any deck, whereas Triss is very deck specific. Get Ves if you have/want silver alchemy cards. Roach > Dandelion, and Renew is bad.

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
cloak111;n10864731 said:
I'd say Muzzle - you can usually get full value from it (16 point swing, sometimes more if you steal a good engine) and you may even make plays with it that are game winning in round 1! Stealing an enemy Ronvid is amazing. I could add muzzle to almost any deck and be happy with it.

Triss is the consistency supplement to decks that are running a bronze set of spells and probably isn't worth it if your bronze/gold core isn't properly built. She can also, sometimes, get partially bricked if your opponent is running lots of spells (NG Alchemy, NR Control, etc) but even in these cases will still be a decent number of points - Triss against Alchemy can net you 18 points with a mahakam, Triss against a moon deck can help counter boons.

Vesemir is good in NG Alchemy, but it requires you to either buy silver runestones and/or silver Alchemy cards to be truly worth it. At your stage, I wouldn't spend scrap on anything but the essentials to build a T1 or T2 deck.

Dandelion is there for tempo, and is a gold equivalent of Roach. Understanding how and when to play with tempo is important when you add this card to your deck. Personally I'd rather stick with Roach and save the gold spot (and 600 scrap).

I wouldn't get Renew. The current meta is pretty much 'drypass drypass R3'. It requires a gold card to be in your graveyard and so can get bricked pretty easy, especially if you're going into R3 with no golds in your graveyard. Certain gold cards are also usually best kept for certain situations, and that situation may not present itself in later rounds. Royal decree is usually better and it's a lot harder to brick.

TLDR: I could add Muzzle to pretty much any deck, whereas Triss is very deck specific. Get Ves if you have/want silver alchemy cards. Roach > Dandelion, and Renew is bad.

Muzzle on my Ronvid happened the other day and the opponent had two Ronvids! Pretty desperate match! Yes, Muzzle is on my list.
Triss: Unfortunately or Fortunately I crafted this card and used it (been only a few games, but nothing to regret)
Vesemir: I don't have any idea of crafting anytime soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Roach: I will starting using it more. Thanks.
Renew: As luck would have it, I got this from a key TODAY!! In the one or two games I used, I found it to be too risky. Will try a bit and then shift to something else. I still have 800+ scraps.

When I think about Royal Decree, only bad experiences come to my mind. Whether I get all four cards drawn or one or two other Gold cards. I have lost equal or more number of games because of Royal Decree than I had won with it. But yes, seems better than Renew.

rrc;n10866561 said:
Renew: As luck would have it, I got this from a key TODAY!! In the one or two games I used, I found it to be too risky. Will try a bit and then shift to something else. I still have 800+ scraps. When I think about Royal Decree, only bad experiences come to my mind. Whether I get all four cards drawn or one or two other Gold cards. I have lost equal or more number of games because of Royal Decree than I had won with it. But yes, seems better than Renew.

I personally like to play them in combination (Royal Decree, Renew) in my Skellige decks. The thing is about Royal Decree that preferably you should play it in the 1st or 2nd round, to decrease the chance of it becoming a dead card, and this way you will have something to Renew. But yes both of these card can easily become dead unfortunately.

ZenaRose;n10865221 said:
Craft Shupe. I play only Shupe decks with all 5 factions on rank 20-21 and this mechanic is only thing that keep me in this game.

Yes, it's fun to play a Shupe deck, and if you have only a small collection of cards maybe a Shupe deck is the best you can assemble, but it's a little harder to play and very risky. I would recommend Shupe too, but as I understand you are (rrc) looking for a more consistent gold.

rrc

Forum veteran
Can Renew be used to reuse Muzzle? The card description says that 'Resurrect a non-leader gold unit'. Does it mean it cant not be used for an item like Muzzle?

I use Muzzle in most of my decks. I like it a lot and it seems great in most decks.

The other cards all depend a lot on the deck you are trying to play. Triss and Dandelion are cards I really like though.

Shupe is awesome and there are some decks with him that can take you to rank 20, maybe even 21. So it's always worth a consideration :)

• RED Point
Definitely would recommend crafting Muzzle.

It interrupts most decks core engine cards and gives you a nice swing.

• RED Point
If you want versatility - as in, the ability to fit the cards in any deck, I'd recommend Muzzle and Geralt: Igni. Eskel isn't bad either, but don't craft him. If you get him in a pack, grab him.

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
Thank you so much everyone! I have crafted Triss: Telekinesis, and Muzzle. Triss is situational and deck specific and a little risky, but I crafter as soon as I got a few replies. But not regretting it! Muzzle is cooooool! Crafted and played two games and won both. Opponent plays an engine card I muzzle and he/she immediately passes. Second round drypass and third round close game and I won with some luck!

Already have some 500+ scraps due to level up and others GGs (thanks to those who GGs). I will take the rest of the advice and will craft faction specific gold if I craft a gold. Or will start another thread for silver after doing my research!

I recommend focusing on one faction or deck for the beginning and stick to it. Master that deck, learn how to be a better player in general and you will be able to climb the high ranks to guarantee yourself good end-season rewards. Once you have that monthly "income" you need as a F2P player you will be able to further expand your collection as time goes on and craft new decks.

Henselt you say? Then why not focus on that and craft Telekinesis and Natalis or Borkh? Don't forget though that the correct set of bronzes and silvers is more important than golds. So craft those first if you ask me.

• RED Point
Top Bottom