Is Gwent a pay to win game?

+
devivre;n9662071 said:
Personally I think NR is a good choice because it's very flexible and very straightforward.
And it's a very good faction to rank and level up quickly.

Onward to working on northern realm!

I guess I'm looking for...deck levels?

IE train with NR, then Nilf, then Monsters, etc

Bookworm1987;n9662551 said:
I guess I'm looking for...deck levels?

Every faction has easy decks to play with and more difficult ones. Even then there isn't a clear progression and it really shouldn't impact your choice. Just start with a faction you like and see if you can improve your deck and play style. Then, once you have more cards, switch to a different faction and see if you can learn a bit more about that.

GwentDB has an updated list with cards, including various decks with strategy goes as how to play them.
Gwentlemen has a list of some of the most popular decks in the meta.

4RM3D;n9662651 said:
Every faction has easy decks to play with and more difficult ones. Even then there isn't a clear progression and it really shouldn't impact your choice. Just start with a faction you like and see if you can improve your deck and play style. Then, once you have more cards, switch to a different faction and see if you can learn a bit more about that.

GwentDB has an updated list with cards, including various decks with strategy goes as how to play them.
Gwentlemen has a list of some of the most popular decks in the meta.

Thanks for the lovely tips :)

I'm currently opening kegs. Somehow made a a 2nd Foltest deck and I actually beat another play with it. I'm still Lv. 1. I'm not sure if I should keep using the starter decks or keep trying to make my own. I don't want to waste cards or resources

Bookworm1987;n9662731 said:
Thanks for the lovely tips :)

I'm currently opening kegs. Somehow made a a 2nd Foltest deck and I actually beat another play with it. I'm still Lv. 1. I'm not sure if I should keep using the starter decks or keep trying to make my own. I don't want to waste cards or resources

Starter cards aren't necessarily bad (for example I still have Philippa in most of my NR decks).
One problem of starter decks is however that they mix a few cards that don't necessarily work well together.
You'll definitely have to do a lot of changes.

But at the beginning I guess it's more important to simply get to know the game a bit better :)

devivre;n9662981 said:
Starter cards aren't necessarily bad (for example I still have Philippa in most of my NR decks).
One problem of starter decks is however that they mix a few cards that don't necessarily work well together.
You'll definitely have to do a lot of changes.

But at the beginning I guess it's more important to simply get to know the game a bit better :)

Grabbed the starter pack, so I have a few kegs left to open.

I'm debating which faction to settle on. I like NR since I beat the computer and a player with it. NG seems to use lots of spy cards, the soc'taiel (spelling!) seems to play really fast, haven't done much with monsters.

I'm still confused on mills and transmuting cards?

I'm a new player as in I just downloaded it last night LOL

Bookworm1987;n9663011 said:
I'm still confused on mills and transmuting cards?

You have three currencies:
1. Ore
2. Scraps
3. Meteorite Powder

You can get all three from the daily rewards. Ore is only used to purchase Kegs (for now), Scraps can be used to craft cards and Meteorite Powder can be used to upgrade existing cards to premium. Premium cards are purely cosmetic.

There are three ways to get a premium card:
1. Randomly from a Keg
2. Using scraps and paying double the price
3. Using Meteorite Powder to upgrade a card

This allows for a lot of flexibility as to how you spent your scraps. As a new player, I wouldn't recommend crafting premium cards, only use the meteorite powder you have to upgrade existing cards.

When you mill cards, you turn them into materials based on a few things:
1. If the card was a premium card, you'll get scraps and meteorite powder.
2. If the card was non-premium, you'll only get scraps.
3. If the card was nerfed during a patch (and is on the refund list), you'll get full scraps (and double the amount for premiums).

4RM3D;n9663291 said:
You have three currencies:
1. Ore
2. Scraps
3. Meteorite Powder

You can get all three from the daily rewards. Ore is only used to purchase Kegs (for now), Scraps can be used to craft cards and Meteorite Powder can be used to upgrade existing cards to premium. Premium cards are purely cosmetic.

There are three ways to get a premium card:
1. Randomly from a Keg
2. Using scraps and paying double the price
3. Using Meteorite Powder to upgrade a card

This allows for a lot of flexibility as to how you spent your scraps. As a new player, I wouldn't recommend crafting premium cards, only use the meteorite powder you have to upgrade existing cards.

When you mill cards, you turn them into materials based on a few things:
1. If the card was a premium card, you'll get scraps and meteorite powder.
2. If the card was non-premium, you'll only get scraps.
3. If the card was nerfed during a patch (and is on the refund list), you'll get full scraps (and double the amount for premiums).

Thanks for the tips. I have about 6 or 7 kegs left to open. I'm focusing on my NR deck right now, but I keep getting cards that are more often then not monster or nilgaard, or the NR ones aren't that good.

So the daily stuff must be from the challenges? There's 0/6 for each faction, and I only have 2 wins under my belt so far.

I guess a good tip would be to only scrap duplicates?

Bookworm1987;n9664381 said:
Thanks for the tips. I have about 6 or 7 kegs left to open. I'm focusing on my NR deck right now, but I keep getting cards that are more often then not monster or nilgaard, or the NR ones aren't that good.

In the beginning, you can also decide on a faction based on the cards you've gotten from the kegs. If you get a lot of Nilfgaard/Monster cards, you could also try those factions first.

So the daily stuff must be from the challenges? There's 0/6 for each faction, and I only have 2 wins under my belt so far.

No, the singleplayer challenges are different. They give you a one time reward and unlock all leader cards. It's advised to complete the challenges first to get all the rewards and leaders.

There are 4 progression levels in Gwent:
1. Challenges
2. Level
3. Rank
4. Tiers (daily)

Challenges are meant to learn the game and give you a one time reward for completing them.
Level is your basic indicator of how much time you have spend in the game. You gain level experience for every multiplayer match. You level is permanent and doesn't reset.
Rank is only gained when playing in ranked mode which is unlocked at level 10. Ranked mode gives additional rewards which can be found in the reward screen (under options). Rank resets every season (about 2 months).
Daily tiers are probably your main source of income. For every match won (2 if you won the game) you get 1 part of the tier. For the first tier you need 6, for the 2nd 12, for the 3rd 24, etc... Every tier gives you ore (100 then 75 then 50). Daily tiers reset daily (as the name suggests).

I guess a good tip would be to only scrap duplicates?

Unless you are planning on netdecking (which I don't recommend), it's best to safe as many cards as possible. Even the duplicate ones because they might get nerfed in the next patch, allowing you to get a full refund for them.

Also a note about duplicates, there are two kind of duplicate cards:
1. Normal -> Premium
2. Trio cards (e.g. Blue Stripes Commando)

They are counted separately in the collection screen, but are actually duplicate because you cannot have more than 3 of the same bronze (trio included), 1 of the same silver and 1 of the same gold in your deck.

4RM3D;n9664531 said:
Even the duplicate ones because they might get nerfed in the next patch, allowing you to get a full refund for them.
I say start worrying about refund only after you have at least one decent deck to play with. At least that's what I did. I thought to myself - Do I want to be the most efficient as possible with my resources or do I want to have fun with the game? - So I started milling all my duplicates until I had enough resources to build a decent deck that I liked playing with. Then I used the same deck pretty much during all the season, milling stuff on each patch for full refund. By the beginning of the 2nd season (this one) I had enough resources to build pretty much any deck I'd like to. So I started experimenting with other factions and building decks with the cards I already had from all the kegs I got, sometimes crafting one card or two. Now, after 4 months playing I have enough resources to craft myself the entire collection, and my goal are the premiums now :)

PS: I won't hide that I spent some pennies on the game, but that doesn't mean the game is P2W at all. After a while, not a very long time, you'll have lots fo resources and cards, for Gwent is a really generous and rewarding game. What I did was just to speed up the process a bit. I actually did buy 40 kegs as soon as I finished my challenges. Then by the start of the present season I bought another 60 kegs + the starter pack. The second purchase wasn't needed at all, it was more to satisfy my urge for a full collection and as token of appreciation for CDPR. Overall I have opened almost 400 kegs and only 1/4 of those were purchased with real money, all the rest (~300 kegs) I got from in game rewards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome help!

Built my own NR deck, getting stomped by the PC. My new goal is to hopefully beat the CPU and then inch my Lv. 1 rank up. Sloooow going.

4RM3D;n9663291 said:

Wait is this real? When the last patch came i mill some premium cards and only got scraps and meteor, none of the premiums gave me double scraps amount.

Dakkoon;n9665111 said:
Wait is this real? When the last patch came i mill some premium cards and only got scraps and meteor, none of the premiums gave me double scraps amount.

Not all cards that are nerfed get full value. Only those cards that CDPR considers significantly nerfed and that are mentioned in the patch notes and here in the forum.

You don't get double scraps from milled nerves premiums, you get full scraps and full meteorite powder.

Actually....this game is too cheap. Dont get it how the make any money

I'm an absolute casual player. I hate playing on PC so after two weeks of the patch i often dont play Gwent anymore. Get Rank 15 which is quite easy, thats it. And even with this less play, my Gwent collection is ridiculous. Honestly, how do they make ANY money? Yes i payed a lil bit, 40 Euros for kegs, the starter pack and some dust when there was the 'get full scraps when dusting premium legendaries' exploit (blame me for that ;-) ). If i wouldve played everyday or even 4-5 days a week in beta (and i usually never play more than the first reward, one keg), my collection would be even bigger without real money.

Dont get me wrong, its nice to get the cards, but i think its way too generous. Coming back after the patch gives me scraps, kegs etc for my rank, then i start on rank 7 or 8 and getting even more kegs for ranking up. Cmon, this is not quite understandable. Eveyone who rly plays this game every day, and i think the future of the game is more of a core community rather than a casual one (this game and its card interactions are way too complicated for the average casual i think) doesnt have to spend a single cent here.

CaptainGen Thread merged.

Gwent is indeed quite generous with rewards. It's also popular and liked enough that many players choose to spend real money on kegs and/or Meteorite Dust, though. :)

If you like chess you will like GWENT. That's what t's become.

Choose your faction very carefully. But make sure you don''t choose ST. Removal is the only feature i've noticed. ST spelldeck is the only way to win with ST.
Ressurect with SK. NG and it's FU deck while revealing all your cards....Basically.

Zero variation in decks that can win. Two per faction. SO! Four factions, two variations per faction that can win on the ladder.

I think the model is still to generate revenue but GWENT handles this far better than, say, Hearthstone, in my opinion. Instead of random quests it's simply round wins, and you can lose a game but still win a round. I find the kegs are generally generous as well given the scrap values.

Only problem is Daily Rewards shouldn't be diminishing. First tier you get 100 ores and after you play 1098 games you get 75 and 50 ores. That doesn't make sense at all. Rewards system should completely change. More plays should reward more ores or scraps or whatever not the other way around.

altaybek;n9813841 said:
Only problem is Daily Rewards shouldn't be diminishing. [...] That doesn't make sense at all. [...] More plays should reward more ores or scraps or whatever not the other way around.

Diminishing returns makes perfect sense. The devs want people to keep playing spread over a longer period of time, instead of incentivizing people to keep playing more and more until they OD. Incidentally, there is a good reason why 99% of the F2P games have diminishing returns.

Top Bottom