GwentUp Meta Report 30 Sep. - 06 Oct.

+
GwentUp Meta Report 30 Sep. - 06 Oct.

EDIT 2: Apparently, the game's called Gewnt now. :)

EDIT: I have NO IDEA why this is in the News section. Tablet spazzed out. Please move.

Skellige is crawling back on top.

Can't say I like that. Skellige is a faction you can't interact much with. They strengthen their units and can easily revive them, so most of your actions mean very little when that Freya comes down. With restore, they're even better.

Quite frankly, I have no idea what can be done with Skellige. They're not this super OP faction but it's not interactive. Removing their graveyard resurrections would just destroy something unique about Skellige and I don't want that. But some tweaks need to be made. They're getting new cards next patch so Skellige will only get better.

Last edited:
Personally i think Skellige right now is carried by those harpooners, these cards are clearly overbudgeted and makes the deck really balanced when it comes to its own board strength vs disrupting the enemy.

The only surprising part of this report is that so few people jumped on the fotm bandwagon.

Personally i love playing against SK restore. It has some stuff in it that are a bit broken in my opinion(doomed cards by definition shouldn't end up in graveyard), but it's neither OP nor that tricky to defeat just needs a different perspective.

- But... but... Skellige is the most underpowered faction... boo... hoo...

*Every Skellige fanboy every damn patch.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9666771 said:
Quite frankly, I have no idea what can be done with Skellige. They're not this super OP faction but it's not interactive. Removing their graveyard resurrections would just destroy something unique about Skellige and I don't want that. But some tweaks need to be made. They're getting new cards next patch so Skellige will only get better.
Skellige was an odd faction in Witcher 3 and it still is in Gwent. The whole res mechanic is getting really contradictory to the path this game is taking. We'll see how it works out. But as I said every patch, Skellige is the faction that actively interferes with game balance more than anything else.

Last edited:
Got to laugh at the whole thing, devs decided to nerf the Captains/Skirmisher deck that no one played (because it wasn't that good and was easy to disrupt) and ended up creating most overpower deck in the history of game.

It really defies the logic, card is named Restore, how can it RESTORE the Dorregaray to 10 when he was never 10 before. This needs change and like immediately not in November.

Pro Ladder is especially annoying since before no one played Skellige, so they now decided to rack up those points with this abomination of a deck.

When it first started gaining prominence I was switching from NG to Monsters and not because of Skellige but because of those Eredin/Iris decks. Monsters of course are kinda good against Skellige, so I still have positive rate against Restore decks, but I really have a feeling that good players who manage to draw crucial silvers are favored even over Monster decks.

BTW Does anyone know what is that good Crach deck, because usually when I see Crach I smile, it is often start of the second round concede when I take care (get it :D) of the big Greatsword

SK's biggest strength is also their biggest weakness.
The faction gets extra powerful by abusing res mechanics (Bronze units are more or less impossible to remove), but the moment they lose access to their graveyard they are finished.

That's why it's my least favorite faction...the victory condition is too flimsy and inconsistent.

SrdjanB;n9668101 said:
and ended up creating most overpower deck in the history of game.

I really really don't get this overpowered hype about it. I mean every single meta before this was more OP then this. What are you guys playing that the SK restore causes problems?

The problem is that bronze/silver card removal is useless for the most part. Skellige has access to 4 resurrect cards as a standard. Add to it decoys and possibly an operator and you can spend the entire game destroying and locking units, only for them to come back with one out of, at least, four cards.

Most of their cards don't boost but strengthen their units, makin resets useless. Picture this. Use Draig Bon-Dhu strengthening Queensgard. Decoy him and playing him again. Then, depending on the situation, use him again by resurrecting him with Sigrdrifa. Then use Restore on her to resurrect DBD again. That's an INCREDIBLE play you simply can't interact with. Locks don't do anything as locked cards can simply be resurrected by a simple bronze card.

You can reset farseers, spotters and whatever else gets boosted. Skellige is unique in that most of their support units don't boost allies but strengthen them, making removals and damage, in hopes of removing important cards, next to useless.

Last edited:
nemirni;n9668771 said:
I really really don't get this overpowered hype about it. I mean every single meta before this was more OP then this. What are you guys playing that the SK restore causes problems?

As I said, I have positive rate against it with Monsters. The fact that the deck is everywhere is annoying by itself, but it is really hard to disrupt since you can't stop Restore from getting insane value, no matter what you do, if you Caretaker/Katakan the Dorregaray, he will use it on Gremist with equally devastating results, I guess you could deny both of them, but you will get 10 strenght discarded priestess or something, I we had people discard Sigrdrifa and Restore her, Restore Olgierd in the end of second round, and speaking of Olgierd, you must deny the Cerys as well.

If you play first you will usually have to go card down in round 3 because they will pressure you in R1 until you either get far ahead and pass, let them win it or they pass to preserve critical cards for R2. Than you either have to chase CA or give it up because of their carryover.

You can't play really greedy deck to out muscle them in either 2-0 or R3 card down scenario, becuase they have Coral, Lugos, Eskel/Gigni two lacarates and usually 5+ harpooners (counting resses)

I would like to know what do you play that you can dismiss the complains of the people like that? Maybe you can share your tactics, people would surely find them interesting.

Fox yes. Croatia. Anyone local feel free to add me ingame:).
As for my deck it's ng spies. Now ng is supposed to be favorable against sk due to medic but the idea with restore is quite the opposite. As you guys said denying dorregaray is pointless. So what i do i ignore their graveyard and just focus on my play resing emissaries anf maybe harpooner if need be.
The key is being greedy about it. If i make sure to win the first round i just go for 2:0. The strength my deck can produce with slow setup that round 2 gives me is way more then theirs..
In last 10sk games i lost one in r3, won 8 2:0 and won one by chance in r3. Playing around 4300atm.

Woodland spirit is 24 points gold card plus weather that 99.5% of monster decks summons 2 times per game. LUL so balanced meta o\

24 points? how?
5+4+1+1+1 + fog and one harpy 3+1 ... am i missing something? Roach for another 4? Ok maybe two harpies if the counter is right... but that is a lot of prepare... and roach doesn't come for the second time...Neither do harpies if he doesn't nekker them..

But yes i agree it is still the top monster play..

Top Bottom