Donar's ability needs to go!

+
SarahAustin;n9163500 said:
Always concede if youre about to lose, saves a lot of time one can spend in another match.

There have been times where I don't have the card advantage and don't have the right cards to finish strong but as it turns out my opponent has a far more worse hand or I will win by 1 point. It happens. I say just play until the end unless you are winning and your opponent doesn't have any other cards to play, in that case just pass and end the game.

fartingunicorn;n9163240 said:
Having Shani, Operator, Neneke is crucial if you want to rely on Reaver hunters as your win condition. Those cards tend to let you play around your mistakes and opponent counters. Also, a lot of Henselt - Reaver hunters deck doesn't even use Henselt on Reaver hunters anymore.

None of these help fight Donar an Hinder, who not only moves the card to the Graveyard from the deck, but it also moves it to the opponents graveyard, making it impossible for you to get back.

The_Odinson;n9163660 said:
None of these help fight Donar an Hinder, who not only moves the card to the Graveyard from the deck, but it also moves it to the opponents graveyard, making it impossible for you to get back.
Impossible if you play with NR, you can take it back with NG and Monsters. Just saying.

The_Odinson

There are two different things going on here. The RNG of Donar and your deck not able to handle it. Which of those two is really the issue? I mean, when the opponent uses Regis (s)he has a much higher chance of pulling out Reaver Hunter. The only difference is that you could still recover the Hunter with Shani/Nenneke.

Anyhow, like someone else already stated: "Donar's ability needs to go!". So, let's continue the discussion there.

Laveley;n8941350 said:
all the specific locking units should be reworked IMO. Let cleaver be the one unit lock.

Leave lady Margarita alone :D

Donar is easy to fix, discard a card from own deck to own graveyard, veteran and base power, should be enough.

4RM3D;n8948360 said:
Donar's RNG is unhealthy and I have been wondering about it. What if it works like Sweers? Except that it only moves one unit to the graveyard. The fun thing about this change is that it also works on your own units when you (un)lock them. This gives it extra synergy with priestesses.

NO thanks. This way he will be good solely against NR (discard a crewman or reaver which is typical lock target) and more or less useless against other factions. And exactly that's what I feel about Sweers against NR.

Donar is fine. He messes with enemy deck no more than other silver cards of other factions. Therefore I think he is balanced.
there are many cards that screws with eneymy deck/graveyard f.e. Katakan destroys enemy strategy with the graveyard.

topo9315;n9170440 said:
Donar is fine. He messes with enemy deck no more than other silver cards of other factions. Therefore I think he is balanced.
there are many cards that screws with eneymy deck/graveyard f.e. Katakan destroys enemy strategy with the graveyard.

The only silver mess with opponent DECK are Sweer, Donar, Treason(Xarthisius), and Gold such as Higher Vampire Regis. Graveyard interaction is a different story and complete different utility. You can argue it's necessary to have this utility in game to disrupt opponent deck, but I would hate to see it being the same card can lock and have veteran at the same time.

Donar Has Too Much Variance

Specifically the discard effect that Donar has. In some matchups he can single handedly win you the game by discarding giant nekkers, or opposing raiders for what is essentially an 8 point swing plus a res denial. With how massive the upside can be against some decks it could probably be considered one of the strongest tech card in the game. The main problem of course is that this 'tech' is completely random. There's not really any way you as an opponent can play around it and there's not really any way for a player using Donar to purposefully use the discard 'tech'.

This issue has become really apparent to me through quite a few discard SK mirror matches I've played. Some of these mirrors have been completely decided by Donar discards. The effect is often completely one-sided, with one player pulling something amazing with their Donar, while the other player pulls a dead card with theirs and as a result actually helps their opponent by thinning the opponents deck. I think Donar's effect is interesting, but has way too much RNG associated with it compared to the rest of the game.

Oh FFS!

Really?

Out of all the other issues with this game; people chose to pick the least to worry about.

“Donar, stole a card I needed.”

Well, boo-sodding-who.

First, he only pulls bronze and special cards. No golds. No silvers.

If you happen to play Nilf, chances are good you can get that card back (unless it’s a special card) or hell, for that matter Caretaker.

Secondly, if you rely on whatever card it is he pulled to win the game, that is your fault, not Donar’s fault.

That is like saying, “We need to nerf scorch! I lost the game, because I needed that card on the board.”

Or

“We need to nerf Treason, because I needed that card to win.”

If your deck is based on a specific card to win, then you need to come up with a new strategy and well, your deck sucks.

I’ve had Donar lock one of my cards' on numerous occasions. Know how many times, I’ve complain? Zero.

Yeah, sure it would have been nice to use the card that was nabbed, but I shrug and move on.

This game is about out-smarting the other player AND adapting to whatever comes your way. Locking a card and having a random card pulled into your graveyard is not a problem. It’s only a problem when people make it seem like it is a problem.

If you feel the card is so detrimental to your game play, perhaps you should put the Gwent cards away and go play Hello Kitty Island Adventures. They will no doubt cater to your toddler play-style needs.

Last edited:
Cantina12;n9214491 said:
Oh FFS!

Really?

Out of all the other issues with this game; people chose to pick the least to worry about.

“Donar, stole a card I needed.”

Well, boo-sodding-who.

First, he only pulls bronze and special cards. No golds. No silvers.

If you happen to play Nilf, chances are good you can get that card back (unless it’s a special card) or hell, for that matter Caretaker.

Secondly, if you rely on whatever card it is he pulled to win the game, that is your fault, not Donar’s fault.

That is like saying, “We need to nerf scorch! I lost the game, because I needed that card on the board.”

Or

“We need to nerf Treason, because I needed that card to win.”

If your deck is based on a specific card to win, then you need to come up with a new strategy and well, your deck sucks.

I’ve had Donar lock one of my cards' on numerous occasions. Know how many times, I’ve complain? Zero.

Yeah, sure it would have been nice to use the card that was nabbed, but I shrug and move on.

This game is about out-smarting the other player AND adapting to whatever comes your way. Locking a card and having a random card pulled into your graveyard is not a problem. It’s only a problem when people make it seem like it is a problem.

If you feel the card is so detrimental to your game play, perhaps you should put the Gwent cards away and go play Hello Kitty Island Adventures. They will no doubt cater to your toddler play-style needs.

It has nothing to do with stealing a card you "need to win". No deck in Gwent needs a single card to win. Stealing a card, locking/unlocking a unit and dropping a 6-8 body on the board is too much rolled into one card. In the cases where it steals an important option for the MU in question, or at a specific point in the game/round, Donar is disproportionally powerful to other lock units. Throw in the ability to replay the card 3 times, and essentially steal 20% of the opponent bronze cards, and resurrect any units taken and the card is oppressive. Furthermore, Donar getting value has zero to do with out-smarting the opponent. If you do not see why this is the case I do not know how to explain it any clearer.

Sweers is another card that mess up your deck far too much for a silver card, it can destroy NR decks far too easily. People keeps using it on reavers and right after uses decoy for another card so it basically ends any strategy. Should be either gold or doomed.

Yeah sweers is disgusting as well. I find it weird that people don't have issue with cards like this being in game.

When I make 25 card deck and make it thin enough I can probably use all of them then you come with this bullshit cards and remove so many cards its stupid.
And there is noting you can do about it. I don't know how anyone can justify their existence and keep a straight face. I could handle something like
put cards on bottom of deck or something but straight up deleting is just unacceptable.

So, Donnar is 6 STR, Locks and Discards your opponent a card. Can be replayed via Decoy and Resurrected by Sigdrifa, ridding your said opponent of 3 cards (which can generate more than 6 STR with their added effects), at least one of which can be really important (let's say Dol Blatana Protector). And some say he's fine.

Than we have Auckes, who is 4 STR and locks 2 targets, damaging them by the whopping 1 point. When you Decoy him, well... it's the same thing. And a lot people say he's fine and where he should be.

Amazing balance between those two.

partci;n9334891 said:
So, Donnar is 6 STR, Locks and Discards your opponent a card. Can be replayed via Decoy and Resurrected by Sigdrifa, ridding your said opponent of 3 cards (which can generate more than 6 STR with their added effects), at least one of which can be really important (let's say Dol Blatana Protector). And some say he's fine.

cards in your deck don't win rounds, points on the board do. donar puts very little value for a silver card, and you're spending 2 extra silvers just to play him again. it'd be a miracle if you won that game against a good player

partci;n9334891 said:
Than we have Auckes, who is 4 STR and locks 2 targets, damaging them by the whopping 1 point. When you Decoy him, well... it's the same thing. And a lot people say he's fine and where he should be.

auckes is good because of his ability to shut down dwarves, ships and behemoths. on top of dealing with morkvarg and olgierd in one go.
outside of those situations, he's most likely the worst silver lock (excluding cleaver); his power comes from the meta more than his own value

unless you're playing a meta where decks rely on specific bronze cards to win, i don't ever see a well-built deck losing to donar

anyone defending donar is obviously someone who uses it and underplays how much they love that card.

as someone who's had that card steal 3 cards from my deck, it is pure BS. it should be like the operator, unable to be decoyed and unable to be rezzed. and should always be lowest bronze (default to rng of the lowest if needed)

partci;n9336541 said:
No offense, but you are delirious.

says the person claiming that donar is powerful

PS: if you're going to call someone delirious, at least have the decency of quoting the whole post instead of one line out of context

Last edited:
Top Bottom