Paid vs Unpaid Match Ups

+
Paid vs Unpaid Match Ups

I would like you consider something. Except in ranked games.

Players who don't buy card packs with physical money are queued against players who don't. Players who buy card packs with physical money are queued against players who do. This suggestion is just to keep the leveling process a little less of a barrier and more of a means to learn the game by playing it without being punished for curiosity. Given that some there's still a lot of work on the card language to do. A lot in the details, but also, with how many cards you have it's not easy.

This is a terrible idea. You'll end of fracturing the community. Besides, you'll only need one competitive deck to play ranked and that is something you can easily get even as F2P. In ranked everything is fair exactly because it's ranked. Finally, money does not equal skills. That's why there is a MMR and that works regardless of whether someone is F2P or not.

How have you been able to create this thread, considering it appears to be your very first post? I'm not allowed to start threads before I got 10 posts of my own.

What 4RM3D said; the last thing this game needs is a fractured community. The mmr system over time sorts players roughly where they need to (even though it's too generous at the moment, meaning mmr is mostly a function of how much you play rather than how well you play)

How can you talk about mmr when I can't find that out. It's hidden information. If I was playing rank I'd expect to run up against lots of uniques and all sorts of other bs golds and silvers. I'm still not even sure I like this game but I'm already pretty sure it's one more in a long line of pay to win games.

Ihear_BlueColors;n9121700 said:
How can you talk about mmr when I can't find that out. It's hidden information. If I was playing rank I'd expect to run up against lots of uniques and all sorts of other bs golds and silvers. I'm still not even sure I like this game but I'm already pretty sure it's one more in a long line of pay to win games.

Look at the leaderboard and your score. That is your mmr. You will pay people in the proximity of that number and gain/lose rank points depending on that relationship. It is not hidden information when you play ranked. Alternatively, you can download one of the perfectly legal deck trackers, such as GwentUp or Buffy's Gwent Tracker, which will even show the mmr inside of a match.

Regarding your perception of whether or not Gwent is Pay to Win, I can recommend that you read the following thread on the subject: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ay-to-win-game

To summarize it for you, the answer is a resounding no. Gwent is one of, if not the, most generous F2P CCG's available on the market right now for purely F2P players. Further substantiating this statement, several streamers/high-ranked players (myself included) have climbed to top 100 on F2P accounts without a single dime and minimal amount of time spent. The most recent example being PumpkinShit, who created an F2P account and 17 hours later was at 4000 mmr without a single dime spent.

Gwent is one of the least random, most generous CCG's with one of the highest skill-ceilings.

Whether you like the game or not is of course subjective and personal. Only you can know that. However, since you're new to the game (correct me if I am wrong), it would make more sense to acquire fundamental knowledge about it before slinging out suggestions with little to no consideration for their impact on the game - or if they're even merited given the nuances you, and any other new player (we've all been there), might not be aware of... :)

Last edited:
Ihear_BlueColors;n9121700 said:

There's nothing pay to win to this game. The only advantage you get for buying card kegs is at the very start of the game, when you start collecting cards, because you will collect them faster. That's it.

But after 3-4 weeks the F2P players also have all cards necessary or scrap to craft at least one competitive deck, the ladder is full of F2P so I can't see any argument in your statement.

I am F2P and I have 2 competitive decks and 22k scrap, + haven't milled a ton of cards yet.

Separating the two in matchmaking also makes no sense because of the same reason, F2P or not, after the first few weeks from the game's launch they are pretty much the same in capabilities.

What would maybe make more sense for Casual play is matchmake people within around 5 ranks of each other, cuz sometimes the difference is really off and it only leads to an unavoidable result.

Brenex;n9125090 said:
There's nothing pay to win to this game. The only advantage you get for buying card kegs is at the very start of the game, when you start collecting cards, because you will collect them faster. That's it.

But after 3-4 weeks the F2P players also have all cards necessary or scrap to craft at least one competitive deck, the ladder is full of F2P so I can't see any argument in your statement.

I am F2P and I have 2 competitive decks and 22k scrap, + haven't milled a ton of cards yet.

Provided you do research and know which competitive deck you want to build, you can craft a perfectly top-tier competitive deck from day 1 and progress extremely fast. It's been done countless times on smurfs.

Nimraphel;n9125160 said:
Provided you do research and know which competitive deck you want to build, you can craft a perfectly top-tier competitive deck from day 1 and progress extremely fast. It's been done countless times on smurfs.

True, like Pumpkin's smurf 2 days ago which went to 4k mmr the second day, but I wouldn't call those your average F2P players :)

Brenex;n9125220 said:
True, like Pumpkin's smurf 2 days ago which went to 4k mmr the second day, but I wouldn't call those your average F2P players :)

Read my post above, you're repeating (no offence meant) :) It's common amongst top players, I've done it too. Maybe it's not the "average" f2p player doing it, but it doesn't change the fact that it is easily possible.

Nimraphel;n9125240 said:
Read my post above, you're repeating (no offence meant) :) It's common amongst top players, I've done it too. Maybe it's not the "average" f2p player doing it, but it doesn't change the fact that it is easily possible.

Ah, you're right, I only read until the post I quoted, didn't see you already mentioned it.

You can't create a "top tier" deck from level day one because you can't play in ranked games day one?

Also I don't understand the comment about a fracktured community. I'm just talking about the unranked play here. I'm talking about being able to play games and win the occasional rounds.

Ihear_BlueColors;n9126890 said:
You can't create a "top tier" deck from level day one because you can't play in ranked games day one?

Also I don't understand the comment about a fracktured community. I'm just talking about the unranked play here. I'm talking about being able to play games and win the occasional rounds.

You can earn the exact same cards from playing unranked as ranked... At level 3, you can mill and craft cards. So yes, you can create a top tier deck from when you reach level 3, aka day one with minimal amount of play. Fully documented case in point: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/24539-t...00-in-17-hours

I don't understand what you mean about "win the occasional rounds." Literally, I don't. You get 2-0'ed every single game and that is why you created this thread?

Nimraphel;n9126980 said:
You can earn the exact same cards from playing unranked as ranked... At level 3, you can mill and craft cards. So yes, you can create a top tier deck from when you reach level 3, aka day one with minimal amount of play. Fully documented case in point: http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/24539-t...00-in-17-hours

I don't understand what you mean about "win the occasional rounds." Literally, I don't. You get 2-0'ed every single game and that is why you created this thread?

Again. I don't understand. Are you saying that you took that deck and then after you were able to play ranked? Placed in the top 10 ranked position? Top tier is contextual. I'm not even ready to start thinking about that too much. I can't even get past level 9.

I have had two games in a row where I went 2-0'ed and then struggled to get even 1-2'ed. I had a game against a consume decks with the hag trio an igni sign on the second round I was starting win and then out pops a regis on the third round. How the fuck is that supposed to be something I can take on at level 7. Everyone here talks about milling old cards or cards you won't use but I expect that's advice that's designed to limit and cripple new players from having a diverse set of tools to response to nonsense like that.

would I only yesterday understood how the blasted mulligan system worked because it is NOT explained very well in the tutorial. And I'm still not sure I'm doing it right.

I think the only experience I've had that supports this entire claim that it's not pay to win is that I made a random bs monster deck and I was winning some games. But I didn't do it on purpose. I didn't pull it from an online suggestion or follow up with any math. After a while I started loosing games 2-0 again to unique silvers and golds. I can't find any record of win / lose rates of my own decks and I'm not going to win a lot of rounds until I figure out which kind of deck, mechanic, or faction I can win games with.

All your "complaints" are addressed already in numerous forum threads (you're willing to spend time writing these complaints - I can only advise you spent similar short time using the search function and finding the relevant threads explaining the mulligan system etc).

Regarding not being able to go past rank 9 (or level 9?) - I cannot help you with your personal skill-related troubles. Suffice to say, it is more than possible, and for what it's worth, I can only encourage you to keep at it, put some thought into deck building (draw inspiration from decks and more importantly guides posted at Gwentdb.com or Gwentify), and adapt.

Nimraphel;n9128090 said:
All your "complaints" are addressed already in numerous forum threads (you're willing to spend time writing these complaints - I can only advise you spent similar short time using the search function and finding the relevant threads explaining the mulligan system etc).

Regarding not being able to go past rank 9 (or level 9?) - I cannot help you with your personal skill-related troubles. Suffice to say, it is more than possible, and for what it's worth, I can only encourage you to keep at it, put some thought into deck building (draw inspiration from decks and more importantly guides posted at Gwentdb.com or Gwentify), and adapt.

Nah. I've spend 30 hours. My friend who goes on and ona bout how easy it is to make cards and build good decks has played like 80?

I'm probably too old for this shit.

4RM3D;n9128650 said:
You sound just like Geralt.

:geraltaha:

Thanks? I guess. He kind of reminds me of Logan. But I only played a little of Witcher 2. I found it very confusing. Impressive world building though.

Top Bottom