The "non-Bug" FAQ

+
The "non-Bug" FAQ

Update in progress for Public Beta - Patch 0.9.7 - Updated 13 Jun 2017

-----------------------------

This is only a list of topics that are frequently asked that are not actual bugs. For a list of known bugs, please see PB Known Issues thread.

-----------------------------

Why do some silver cards cost only 80 scrap while others cost 200 or 800 scrap? And why do a silver Dragon and a Gold dragon both cost 800 Scrap when they are different rarities?

Craft and mill costs are determined by Rarity (the small square icon in the lower right of the card) not by border color (known as Card Quality - which is used in deck building and play interactions).

Card Quality and Rarity now seem to be aligned...

Commons (Silver/White Icon) are 30 Craft (200 Premium Craft)/10 Mill and are all Bronze
Rares (Blue Icon) are 80 (400P)/20 and are Bronze
Epics (Purple Icon) are 200 (800P)/50 and are Silver
Legends (Gold Icon) are 800 (1600P)/200 and are Gold

Premium are double the craft cost for Legends (1600) and 4x the cost for Epics (800), but mill values don't change.

I have <2 of a silver/gold> and/or <4+ of a card with multiple artwork> but can't add them to my deck.

Deck limitations are:
3 of any Bronze unit (by name, not picture)
1 of each unique Silver Card (6 silver cards total)
1 of each unique Gold Card (4 gold cards total)

Even if they have different art, you will not be able to add more than three of any bronze units with the same name. You cannot add more than 1 of any gold or silver card with the same name (this includes Standard and Premium versions).

My opponent had 2 copies of <Silver or Gold card>? I thought it was limited to 1 per deck.

Gold and Silver cards are limited to one per deck, however cards such as Sarah (and Johnny, if the opponent has the same Gold/Silver card) provide ways to get a second copy of these cards.

[/b]My <Scorch or Epidemic> killed my own units. Why?[/b]

Be very careful reading your cards. These destroy the highest and lowest unit(s) - anywhere. To be safe, just expect any card that does not specifically say your side or opponent's side to be able to affect either side of the battlefield.

My opponent received a Chort when he returned his Prize-Winning Cow to his hand. But it didn't die

Cards (like Prize-winning Cow, Golem, etc) that have a skull icon (indicating an ability that triggers when removed) will activate when they leave the battlefield for any reason. That includes dying and returning to the player's hand as well as at the end of the round.

My decoy wouldn't return my Operator, even when it was the only unit on the board

Some units, like Operator, have the keyword "Relentless." Relentless units cannot be returned to a player's hand from the battlefield.

My opponent played <card name> and right after entering it buffed itself +2 or +3 STR without any other cards. How is this possible?

Cards like Marching Orders and Alzur's Double Cross will play a unit from the deck and buff it. It was likely one of these.

I did not received a Chort when my Prize-Winning Cow was killed

It was likely killed using the Spores side of Mardroeme, which removes Base Strength. A card with 0 or less Base Strength *and* 0 Total STR is removed from the game (similar to a fleeting card - the "black wisp" animation) and will not trigger effects based on removing them from the battlefield. A buffed card reduced to 0 Base STR will remain in play with only it's buffed STR.

Further damage should remove it as well.

I used a Dimeritium Bomb/Shackles (or the Clear Sky side of First Light), but <Card Name> is still buffed.

Check the card that provided the buff. "Boost" effects (temporary increase to STR) can be lost this way but "Strengthen" effects give a bonus to Base STR will remain in effect for the game duration. For example, Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith grants +2 to base strength. When this happens and a card like Dimeritium Bomb or an event like weather being cleared that resets units back to base strength, will use this new number.

I played a Wild Hunt Hound (from hand, decoy, Eredin, etc) and it did not spawn a Biting Frost. Why?

These cards do not "Spawn" they "Summon". Be careful reading your card. If a unit says it "Summons" <cardname> then you must have a copy of that <cardname> still in your deck (e.g. Wild Hunt Hound, Reaver Scout, etc). If it says it "Spawns" <cardname>, then a copy is created without it needing to still be in the deck (e.g. Arachas Behemoth, Dol Blathanna Trapper, Gremist, etc)

Confirmed outdated items are strikethrough, remainder need confirmation.

Has this been solved?
My opponent forfeited and the client message said they disconnected. Why do people who lose this way never send a Good Game?

If somebody gets a client disconnect, which often has nothing to do with an actual loss of internet connection (I still get it on my wired Desktop randomly with no drop in connectivity I can see), they can't send a GG because the button is missing for the side that was forced to Forfeit due to disconnect.

Does this matter now that the potions don't have witcher specific bonuses (that we miss...)?
I can't play my Swallow/Thunderbolt Potion on Geralt

Gold cards cannot be effected by events that say non-gold, even Geralt. Silver Witchers (e.g. Lambert, Auckes) can all benefit from the extra Witcher bonus these potions provide. Gold witchers (e.g. Geralt, Letho) can be affected if demoted to Silver.

Does this apply now that Mardroeme resets to base before buff/debuff?
I used Spores on my opponent's 3 STR <Sigrdrifa> but it didn't die.

Mardroeme removes Base Strength, not buff (green) STR. A card with 0 or less Base Strength will remain in play with only it's buffed STR. Since the Sigrdrifa only has 2 Base STR, even if it is only 3 STR at the time, Spores can't kill it. The Spores side of Mardoeme can, at most, remove the 2 Base STR from Sigrdrifa and it will still have Buffed STR (unless used before it is buffed or weakened to White/Red STR before using Spores).

My opponent has two Savage Bears (or other damage-when-enters effect), and when I played a <1 STR unit> its effect was not resolved before they were killed.

The order of resolution is not finalized. There are some interactions that, for now, just have to be learned. Many times, units taking damage when entering will die before their effect can be used (even if that effect is a self-buff, like Grave Hag), but sometimes the reverse happens. We hope this is clarified and standardized in future patches.

Should this apply now that leaders all spawn units?
I used my leader's ability, but it didn't do anything.

Correct, a leader's ability can always be used, even if the conditions are not met (no Bronze unit for Foltest, no unit to replay with Eithne, etc) and it is like playing Clear Sky with no weather on the board. It is a technique to use your turn when you do not want to play another card, but also do not want to pass the round. Just be careful when hovering over your leaders to not accidentally activate their ability.

Is there anything that can resurrect permadeath now?
My opponent resurrected a Priestess of Freya, but her card says "Permadeath." How can that happen?

Permadeath is simply a category name to replace "Medic" because there were non-Medic units CDPR wanted to limit resurrection (not prevent entirely, those cards get the "Fleeting" category).

So, "Permadeath" isn't an ability or even a quality, just a category that other cards can reference, like Nenneke who says "Resurrect a non-gold, non-permadeath unit"

Any other common items I missed?

Last edited:
pl91;n7099940 said:
promote sets basic strength to current,so dimeritrium bomb doesnt work on it as people might thing it does.

Added with Clear Sky and other clarifications as well. Thank you.

Treamayne;n7097430 said:
My opponent had Savage Bear, and I played Priscilla/Dandilion/etc. and the effect was not resolved before they were killed.
Nice little trick for countering Priscilla and Dandelion :)

pl91;n7109230 said:
you can also add the "why cant i put my second geralt in my deck?" question OP.

Isn't that covered in the first question?

You cannot add more than 1 of any gold or silver card with the same name (including Geralt which has the animated and Static artwork options).

All right, i'm gonna ask here:
Shani resurrects Pavetta, Pavetta dies as a part of her ability (on an empty board)

Now you make the point that some of the interactions have to be learned, but this one still strikes me as odd:
Pavetta's ability resolves DURING Shani's ability (after she hits the board, but before she is gilded)

Is that intended?

DocGurk;n7112850 said:
All right, i'm gonna ask here:
Shani resurrects Pavetta, Pavetta dies as a part of her ability (on an empty board)

Now you make the point that some of the interactions have to be learned, but this one still strikes me as odd:
Pavetta's ability resolves DURING Shani's ability (after she hits the board, but before she is gilded)

Is that intended?

Probably not, but it has not been clarified by CDPR yet. Order of resolution is a known problem, but make sure you report that interaction here. The more people they get data reports from, the easier it will be to define how the order works. There are a number of instances where two effects on one card seem to be interrupted by a different card's effect (Skjall and Savage bear for instance > Skjall will deal the three damage to himself, then take one damage from the bear and die before doing the three damage to opponent's strongest units).

We would probably expect Shani to finish her effect (and turn the resurrected unit gold) before the unit's effect occurs. But there might be interactions that don't want the resurrected unit to turn gold first (I don't play Shani enough to know for sure, but I'll test). Either way, until the order of resolution is standardized, I would just make sure Pavetta isn't played or resurrected into a board where she will kill herself, unless that's the effect you want of course.

I added a link to this thread in my signature. Hopefully, to increase it's visibility if not made sticky. Good idea again.

Treamayne;n7113350 said:
Probably not, but it has not been clarified by CDPR yet. Order of resolution is a known problem, but make sure you report that interaction here. The more people they get data reports from, the easier it will be to define how the order works. There are a number of instances where two effects on one card seem to be interrupted by a different card's effect (Skjall and Savage bear for instance > Skjall will deal the three damage to himself, then take one damage from the bear and die before doing the three damage to opponent's strongest units).

We would probably expect Shani to finish her effect (and turn the resurrected unit gold) before the unit's effect occurs. But there might be interactions that don't want the resurrected unit to turn gold first (I don't play Shani enough to know for sure, but I'll test). Either way, until the order of resolution is standardized, I would just make sure Pavetta isn't played or resurrected into a board where she will kill herself, unless that's the effect you want of course.

Problem is that everything seems hard coded card after card. So there will be not any clear rule like first resolve card that is played, than all my cards, than all opponent cards or something like this. Instead we are forced to learn by trial and error at which time each individual card effect happen.

All three will go from 4 to 6 (1st trigger) to 8 (2nd Trigger) then Gold for 10 (NR Faction Passive) each. If you had 2 in play and used reinforcement to get only the third, they would be three 8 STR golds.

Than why they have 6 strenght in [FONT=arial, sans-serif]graveyard?[/FONT]

Last edited:
espada99;n7137350 said:
Then why they have 6 strength in graveyard?

If it is not bug, they'll have 8 strength each. Somewhere there is mistake, fix it pls.

It's possible there is a bug, but this is what I see:

1 Redanian Elite goes to Graveyard - STR = 4
All three Redanian Elites go to GY - STR = 6 each (Gold)
Being promoted (turning to gold) resets the base strength (it's in the elite description - "~convert them to Gold (setting base strength to current)")

So it doesn't matter if you play each individually or use reinforcement the Promotion / Base STR seems to be set to 6, implying that when coming in one at a time, the third one is played, they get the plus 2 from their ability, turn to gold (setting base STR to 6) then get the NR faction bonus for gold to 8. When using Reinforcement, My previous assessment was likely off by by one trigger:

+2 from first ability trigger (all are STR 6), Set to gold for first ability trigger (Base STR set to 6), +2 for Second ability trigger (all are STR 8), Second ability Gold does nothing because they are already gold (Still 8, base STR not set again), +2 from NR Gold Faction ability (all are 10 STR).

All of this may be moot; as we should be days away from the patch, and how units promote to gold has been changed (see news thread here with links to Twitch and Youtube locations to watch the broadcast) so that may change how this all works anyway.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch for explaining the max.-1-of-any-silver/gold-card rule. I almost selected doubles from my kegs, but this makes the choice much easier.

Top Bottom