Editing grass-textures? (dds)

+
Ancient76;n8259110 said:
It does look better when it's implemented properly. In this game grass and some bushes are too much translucent. In reality grass is never completely red or yellow during sunset like in this game.
Look how grass is yellow in this case: https://i.imgur.com/2rcxt9k.jpg

Well to be fair, most of the yellow tint is coming from the so-called "pigmentation" effect when the grass is placed on a ground of different color. In your example-screenshot not only the grass but the whole scene has some very unnatural looking yellow lighting. Just look at the color of the ground.

@GMSBS_Ghost It's still far from the quality shown in the infamous E3-demo, but i got it looking quite decent on at least one of the grass-types. I'm getting closer :) Thank you.

@jack91 That's an interesting video i remember finding a presentation from CDPR online that was also showing some speedtree and even grass-related stuff. Will post the link here once i found it again.

EDIT: Here it is. If you scroll down a few pages there is some interesting stuff about grass there :

Last edited:
IchWillDeinRegal;n8270040 said:
Well to be fair, most of the yellow tint is coming from the so-called "pigmentation" effect when the grass is placed on a ground of different color. In your example-screenshot not only the grass but the whole scene has some very unnatural looking yellow lighting. Just look at the color of the ground.

But not everything is affected equally, and that's very important. It can be changed. Mostly grass and some bushes is affected, and the problem is that details are lost. Grass looks one-dimensional.

Every engine has this. I have played with this many times in Stalker engine.

I'm trying. Getting the textures to look decent on those meshes is easier said than done, since there is no way to view how UV-mapping works. So every change i do to the texture needs to be tested ingame. Also i am just working on this on occasion so very frequent updates are not to be expected. I hope i'll have something ready to share here soon so people who are interested can test it, give feedback or even try something on their own with the files.

No unfortunately not, since .srt files can't be edited. Not even with the speedtree-modeler. There are some settings under [speedtree] in the .env-files related to translucency i believe but they affect every speedtree-object in the game and i am not even sure if they actually do something.

Not really. Didn't work on it too much at the moment. Still messing around with only one grass type for now since i didn't find an easy way to make the other grass textures blend with the swamp grass meshes.
Also, grass looks less vibrant with the latest STLM update which kinda balances out the translucency which is making the grass brighter.

IchWillDeinRegal;n8433350 said:
Not really. Didn't work on it too much at the moment. Still messing around with only one grass type for now since i didn't find an easy way to make the other grass textures blend with the swamp grass meshes.
Also, grass looks less vibrant with the latest STLM update which kinda balances out the translucency which is making the grass brighter.

What's the problem with meshes? Grass looks weird, cut in half?

That grass brightness in pics looks ok.

Found a bit of time to work on this a little bit recently. Unfortunately adding more than two "custom" grass types to a grass-brush seems to break the game (ctd when loading save) so i had to remove the grass with the brown "blossom"-thingy on top. Also the grass looks way too grainy and is flickering in the distance quite a bit. I don't know if this is related to translucency or to some other aspects of the grass-models. I might be able to fix this with some clever texture-editing, not sure though.

Guest 3841499

I still do not understand why it is not possible to change grass texture and/or meshes. Also, I suggest E3 Grass mod. Yes, another E3 mod.., but it makes the grass look better!

Top Bottom