Fix for (0xc0000142) error, for me at least.

+
Fix for (0xc0000142) error, for me at least.

Purchased The Witcher 2 on Amazon earlier today after waiting indefinitely for my wife to allow me to play her launch day copy. Lo and behold, I was greeted with the (0xc0000142) error after patching all the way to 2.1. After careful diagnosis I determined that an old installation of LucidLogix software was the culprit. I had at one time experimented with the Lucid software (Z68 motherboard) but had since disabled it and thought Id uninstalled it. I believe their uninstaller may have failed at some point.

Anyway, this is what you do - I hope this exists for you too:

Go to c:\Program Files\LucidLogix Technologies and run the uninstaller. Reboot and enjoy this fine game!

Thanks for one of the finest games ever (IMO), CDPROKECT!

EzdineG said:
Purchased The Witcher 2 on Amazon earlier today after waiting indefinitely for my wife to allow me to play her launch day copy. Lo and behold, I was greeted with the (0xc0000142) error after patching all the way to 2.1. After careful diagnosis I determined that an old installation of LucidLogix software was the culprit. I had at one time experimented with the Lucid software (Z68 motherboard) but had since disabled it and thought Id uninstalled it. I believe their uninstaller may have failed at some point.

Anyway, this is what you do - I hope this exists for you too:

Go to c:\Program Files\LucidLogix Technologies and run the uninstaller. Reboot and enjoy this fine game!

Thanks for one of the finest games ever (IMO), CDPROKECT!

I have this Error mensenger and I do not understand what you have done. I do not have this LucidLogix program... please if you can explain better I would be glad. (I bought "The Witcher 2" friday via Steam and this error mensenger appears every time that I will launch the game).

Holy crap! This worked for me! I am running the Steam version of Witcher 2, version 2.1.

The problem was the LucidLogix Virtu software installed on my machine. I removed it and the game launched fine.

To clarify, LucidLogix Virtu is software that came with my ASRock Z68 motherboard. I installed it when I first set up my PC. It may come with other motherboards too. Simply uninstall it via control panel or find the directory and run the uninstall exe. Here is the website for it: http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu.html

Game version 2.0 worked fine with LucidLogix Virtu installed, but version 2.1 does not. It still seems to be a problem with patch 2.1. At least this workaround will get the game to run. But no more Virtu technology :(

Thanks EzdineG!!!

On this note if users are using any kind of virtual CD\DVD drives i would advise to not just disable but uninstall the virtual drive software as these have been known to cause issues with all sorts of games . Then retry witcher 2 . At worst would be a reinstall of said software .

Well that worked for me too! Uninstall, Virtu drivers and hey presto patch 2.1 works with no error.

I have a z68 motherboard that came with an instalation CD that contains the LucidLogic program but I never installed it, tried to install and uninstall without sucess, still getting the 0xc0000142 error.

same error for me...
just got the witcher 2 in the steam sale and spend the hole day trying to get it to work!
But it just wont play...hope there will be a fix for this because i was really looking forward to playing it!

havent got any emulation installed, had UltraIso but took it of after reading it could be a solution, but Error stays the same!

My Sys specs are i5 2500k, Radeon 6970 2gb 4gb Ram if that helps!

taketoo said:
same error for me...
just got the witcher 2 in the steam sale and spend the hole day trying to get it to work!
But it just wont play...hope there will be a fix for this because i was really looking forward to playing it!

havent got any emulation installed, had UltraIso but took it of after reading it could be a solution, but Error stays the same!

Guys, Virtu isnt software for drive emulation, here is explanation: What is Lucid Virtu?

sugnuf said:
Guys, Virtu isnt software for drive emulation, here is explanation: What is Lucid Virtu?

I don't think that is exactly the point. Yeah, Virtu is a GPU switcher, not a drive emulator, but *Tommy*'s point about drive emulators is still well taken: these can be troublesome and cause slowdowns or errors, because they get in the way of every disk access.

Thank you guys, this worked for me on my steam version.

I didn't even ever use Virtu, I have easy tune for overclocking my CPU and EVA precision for my GPU.

Won't be missed at all.

Uninstalled Virtu drivers and everything started working but now I cant use my processors ability encode videos really quickly, I if you want to play the game you have to sacrifice functionaly if your computer. Hopefully at patch will come out soon to solve this problem.

So for me the game used to run fine, then it patched and now I get this error. The game tries to install the .net framework, seems to do so and when starting I get the error. I don't use any CPU emulator or virtual drive installed... Any clue?
It reads patch 2.0 on my start up window.

Siryel said:
So for me the game used to run fine, then it patched and now I get this error. The game tries to install the .net framework, seems to do so and when starting I get the error. I don't use any CPU emulator or virtual drive installed... Any clue?
It reads patch 2.0 on my start up window.

Do you have Adobe Acrobat Extended Pro or use Kaspersky for antivirus or Internet Security

I use Kapersky yes. I tried disabling Kaperski and run the install, and the result is the same.

Top Bottom