I know this is probably beating a dead horse by now, but I have to ask (0000142 error)

+
I know this is probably beating a dead horse by now, but I have to ask (0000142 error)

Three days ago I bought and assembled my first ever non-Mac computer. Almost immediately, I downloaded Chrome, Steam and then Witcher 2. When I tried to launch it, I got the wonderful 142 error that so many people seem to get.

I believe I have tried all of the suggested fixes with no luck. I haven't downloaded any toolbars, I tried the .NET download fix, etc. So far nothing has worked.

I would normally post this in the existing sticky, but I read in a previous post that listing specific system specs may help because it could be a software problem. My specs are:

Intel i5-2400 3.1GHz
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card
Windows 7, 64 bit

I should add that since this is my first PC, no answer can be too simple. I'm not going to be offended if you explain it like you would to a child, in fact, it would probably help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With an ASUS or ASRock-made Z68 mobo, you almost certainly have installed LucidLogix Virtu (even without knowing you did so) as part of the initial setup of drivers. In 2.1, the game is not compatible with this, and crashes with that error.

I don't know quite what the best solution is, since I don't have (and probably never will have) a Z68-chipset mobo, but you can try:

Disabling Virtu for any of the executables in Steam or in the game, or disabling Virtu altogether.

Disabling GPU virtualization in the BIOS, so that Virtu will not start.

Uninstalling Virtu, or breaking it by finding the file appinit_dll.dll and renaming it.

GuyN said:
With an ASUS or ASRock-made Z68 mobo, you almost certainly have installed LucidLogix Virtu (even without knowing you did so) as part of the initial setup of drivers. In 2.1, the game is not compatible with this, and crashes with that error.

I don't know quite what the best solution is, since I don't have (and probably never will have) a Z68-chipset mobo, but you can try:

Disabling Virtu for any of the executables in Steam or in the game, or disabling Virtu altogether.

Uninstalling Virtu, or breaking it by finding the file appinit_dll.dll and renaming it.

Ah hah! I found Virtu, uninstalling now.

Wow, it launched perfectly after a restart. I can't thank you enough.

GuyN said:

This fixed so many problems for me, and I made an account just to thank you! You're the best!

Glad it worked for both of you.

I'd like to see CDPR patch the patch so it plays nice with some of the current software that bothers it, but until they do so, we do what we can to help people around it.

Top Bottom