Error Caused By a Corrupt or Missing Scripts File After 1.62 Update

+
Hello. After testing several times, I'm positive that a mod is creating the following error message whenever I attempt to launch the game:

Screenshot 2023-04-13 213837.png

I've already uninstalled all the mods and the game launched. Then I went and began installing a few mods at a time and the game launched fine, albeit some mod functions were either not present or not operating exactly as they were before the recent update. After adding a few more mods, I once again got this message. It should be noted that I'm not using Vortex this time around and have reinstalled every mod manually, hoping that it would help. However, the same error message. I wanted to ask the community if anyone began experiencing the same error after the update and, if so, how they fixed it if at all.

I suspect it's a mod that hasn't yet been updated to run with the recent update, but for some reason, I can't seem to pinpoint the exact one. I'm wondering if maybe when uninstalling the problem mod (not actually knowing if it is or not) I'm not doing it correctly. Namely, maybe there is some residual file I'm missing. That's just a thought ... I'm lost at this point. Any tips or tricks on how to pinpoint the problem mod would be great. Or any helpful advice for that matter. Even reading that other players have experienced the same issue would make me feel slightly better, with some hope that a solution will soon be available.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice people provide. Please let me know if and how there are any crash logs a can share if that helps. I am kind of confused as to where to find the correct crash log and how to interpret it if I am reading the right one. :)

Maybe someone will have a "better" solution, but what I would do :
Perform a clean install to be 100% sure there is no remaining mod datas, try.
Then add mods which were updated for the 1.62 for sure (like CET, RED4ext, ArchiveXL and TweakXL), try.
And finally add the other mods, but one by one (at least not a bunch at once), try. Either it will work and it was because of remaining datas or you will find the culprit at some point.

Maybe someone will have a "better" solution, but what I would do :
Perform a clean install to be 100% sure there is no remaining mod datas, try.
Then add mods which were updated for the 1.62 for sure (like CET, RED4ext, ArchiveXL and TweakXL), try.
And finally add the other mods, but one by one (at least not a bunch at once), try. Either it will work and it was because of remaining datas or you will find the culprit at some point.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I will do as you suggest. I admit, I was sort of doubting my method of installing a few mods at a time because it's easy to lose track of where you left off after a while. It's really tedious installing mods one by one, but it is the best method. By the way, I've only been playing this game for maybe four months and have seen throughout the web all the complaints about this game being buggie. I play GTA5 and mod it out like crazy with little to no problems, but of course, it's been around for way longer. But, you know, many devs are kinda tone def and it takes forever for bugs to get worked out. Are the developers good at addressing issues?

But, you know, many devs are kinda tone def and it takes forever for bugs to get worked out. Are the developers good at addressing issues?
The game-breaking bugs usually get fixed ASAP, for example when Judy kept despawning from the world they released a meaningful patch with other important gameplay fixes as well just a few weeks later.

The non-gamebreaking bugs however usually get fixed by bundling them with major patches or content updates. For example the headlights on the Kusanagi bike and some vehicles are bugged since 1.61 update, but they're aware that they're bugged.

So I think they're doing alright with addressing issues, since it is a very vast and complex game. It takes time for reports to start pouring in.

The game-breaking bugs usually get fixed ASAP, for example when Judy kept despawning from the world they released a meaningful patch with other important gameplay fixes as well just a few weeks later.

The non-gamebreaking bugs however usually get fixed by bundling them with major patches or content updates. For example the headlights on the Kusanagi bike and some vehicles are bugged since 1.61 update, but they're aware that they're bugged.

So I think they're doing alright with addressing issues, since it is a very vast and complex game. It takes time for reports to start pouring in.
Nice to know. Thanks for the info. But, damn! With a metered connection, doing a clean install takes planning (sadly). At least I can get some other stuff done rather than tinkering around with V's appearance for hours on end ... until I fix the game that is! :ROFLMAO:

If you want to try, there is an alternative for a clean reinstall than redownloading 65 gigs;

Go to your Cyberpunk folder and delete everything except these two folders;
  • Archive - here you only want to have this folder path; ...\archive\pc\content. If there are any other folder paths within the Archive folder such as Mods or anything else, delete them.
  • Bonus Content
Then go to Windows - Settings - Apps - Installed Apps and uninstall the RedLauncher.

Then manually delete all of these folders manually;
  • Cyberpunk 2077 folder from here: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\
  • REDEngine folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt Red folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\
  • CD Projekt RED folder from here: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Programs\
After this you'll only have the archive files, which the mods do not affect nor inject anything into, therefore you won't have to redownload 65gigs of the game, merely at best 1GB. So restart your PC at this point and then simply verify the game to regenerate all the deleted files and launch it to regenerate all the rest.

On top of that for good measure if you are on Steam, you can also delete the Steam shadercache files located specifically in the Steam folder where the game is installed; ...\steamapps\shadercache\1091500

These are Steam shadercache files which can corrupt and break the launcher if your game crashes. As they did for me as I was testing some crashes reported by the community.

Hopefully it helps since you're on a limited internet.

Last edited:
Trying it now. However, I couldn't find the "Bonus Content" folder. Mind you, I did an alternate install path to essentially my D drive rather than C.

That's alright, the Bonus Content is just extras such as the game's OST and artwork, but it's about 4gigs of data in total so that's why I mentioned it.

As it's a DLC on Steam that requires opting into and since you're on a metered connection, it's 4 gigs that wouldn't do any good redownloading ^^

Oh! I get you! So, to be sure I understand you right, excluding the Bonus Content folder, delete everything but the \archive\pc\content? It is 63.5 GB, so I figure that is exactly it. But I thought I better ask before I do something lol! Concerning the others you mentioned, I got that. And if this works, I'll be sure to share this on a Medium and Reddit post while giving you credit. :)

Yup. The Archive folder looks like this; Archive > pc > content.

Any other folder in there is a modded intruder.

And there is no need to credit me, I just try to help where I can since I love the game ^^

And there is no need to credit me, I just try to help where I can since I love the game ^^
Well, I'll do it anyway because, like you, I love the game, and believe that those who provide out-of-the-box solutions should be credited. While credit is due to anyone who offers a helping hand, solutions such as yours are little life savers for some of us. Anyway, should be finished installing soon and then I'll test the clean install, install and test the most important mods one by one, and then update you as to what I found if anything.
Post automatically merged:

Worked like a CHARM! I'm not sure how to make sure your advice is pinned or stickied on this forum, but it should be. Now, as @LeKill3rFou suggested, I'll be more methodical about installing the mods (one by one). I've already installed several of the primary ones most people can't live without, like CET, Redscript, cybercmd, etc, and no issues yet. Which made me want to ask one more tiny question: how do you typically decide which mod is actually best for installing using Vortex vs Mannually? I've learned that just because it says "Vortex compatible," doesn't necessarily mean it is. But Vortex is nice for easily managing mods versus manually, so it would be nice to use it most of the time. Opinions?

Last edited:
I had the same issue, I just updated my other thread, but I'll share the info here as well.

I had to do a clean install, I also updated my GoG launcher (if you're using GoG) and disabled cloud sync. Now the game launches fine without any Mods installed. I'll probably start adding them back in soon to see if I can get it working OR figure out which one broke it in the first place.

I had the same issue, I just updated my other thread, but I'll share the info here as well.

I had to do a clean install, I also updated my GoG launcher (if you're using GoG) and disabled cloud sync. Now the game launches fine without any Mods installed. I'll probably start adding them back in soon to see if I can get it working OR figure out which one broke it in the first place.
I use GOG too. I did all that ... reinstalled GOG, Vortex, and redMod. But I just recently started reading people suggesting disabling cloud sync. Should I do that by default while modding the game? No one has really elaborated on why it's done. By the way, this wasn't the first time this issue happened either. I'm assuming certain aspects of the code or program is really sensitive to whether certain mods are updated. Cause it's kinda becoming a regular thing lol. Imagine having to do a clean install every month, two months ... that would suck.

Worked like a CHARM! I'm not sure how to make sure your advice is pinned or stickied on this forum, but it should be. Now, as @LeKill3rFou suggested, I'll be more methodical about installing the mods (one by one). I've already installed several of the primary ones most people can't live without, like CET, Redscript, cybercmd, etc, and no issues yet. Which made me want to ask one more tiny question: how do you typically decide which mod is actually best for installing using Vortex vs Mannually? I've learned that just because it says "Vortex compatible," doesn't necessarily mean it is. But Vortex is nice for easily managing mods versus manually, so it would be nice to use it most of the time. Opinions?

I'm very glad that it helped :D

Personally Vortex (previously known as Nexus Mod Manager) never failed me and I've been using it since 2011 for a ton of games. But a good advice is if you doubt its integrity, then use it for the simpler mods which are easy drag&drop mods, but the more complicated ones such as scripted frameworks that act as foundations for other mods would probably be better to do manually.

And an important note is to always install mods one by one and to always check the description and the comment section before doing so.
  • The description of the mod to check what you have to do, how to do it and if there are any notable known issues.
  • The comment section to see if other users are having any meaningful issues, as most of the time it will help you troubleshoot faster.
  • And as a general rule myself, I avoid mods if they have the comment section disabled.
I personally always do this for every mod and for more than a decade I never had any issues with mods myself, both as a mod user and a mod creator. And even if I did, I knew exactly where to go to check for caused issues.

As for cloud saves, some games don't integrate it properly. Metro Exodus on Steam for example, under no circumstances do you want Steam Cloud enabled because the devs did not integrate it properly. It can not only destroy your saves, but completely nuke your playthrough and gameplay modes.

Cyberpunk however is completely safe with cloud saves, as I've checked the files myself when I was doing other things.

The reason to disable cloud sync, is it may be reinstalling broken scripts or corrupted saves after reinstalling.

Personally I wouldn't use Vortex mod manager, at least not with CP2077, I've had a lot of issues with it and usually the mods run better if I just manually install them. I've used vortex for other games like fallout 4 and it always works fine, but for some reason I've had issues using it for CP.

Nah, the cloud save for Cyberpunk only uses savefiles located here;
...\%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

And these save folders only contain the savefile itself, its metadata and a thumbnail. They're completely safe and in no way in a million years could Cloud ever sync anything outside of the save's folder.

If the saves do become irreperably corrupted, they're easily deleted either in-game or manually within this location.

For example, I've deleted my own "Endgame save points" which cannot be deleted in-game. They award the player with unique items after finishing the story, as they keep track which path the player chose. So I deleted them a few weeks ago as a test for something else. But the Cloud itself is completely safe.

Nah, the cloud save for Cyberpunk only uses savefiles located here;
...\%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

And these save folders only contain the savefile itself, its metadata and a thumbnail. They're completely safe and in no way could cloud ever reinstall broken scripts.

If the saves are corrupted, they're easily deleted either in-game or manually within this location. I've deleted my own "Endgame save points" this way which award you with unique items for finishing the game for testing purposes. But the Cloud itself is completely safe.
You definitely know better than me, I've been going based on the suggestions/comments of others. I appreciate you being quick with the replies and clearing stuff up.

I do recommend disabling the in-game Cross-Platform Saves though found in Gameplay settings, as that beast does not perform well and is known to actually cause issues. Not in terms of corrupting saves, but massively slowing down the game and loading/saving.

I do recommend disabling the in-game Cross-Platform Saves though found in Gameplay settings, as that beast does not perform well and is known to actually cause issues. Not in terms of corrupting saves, but massively slowing down the game and loading/saving.
I must say, being a gamer for a couple of decades and seeing the toxic side of it, I'm impressed by how well my question was received and handled. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that this is still a fairly new community compared to other franchises out there, but either way, I greatly appreciate each and every commenter that helped. Makes me love the game even more.
Post automatically merged:

You definitely know better than me, I've been going based on the suggestions/comments of others. I appreciate you being quick with the replies and clearing stuff up.
Yeah! Pretty awesome if you ask me. I've been in communities where you very may not receive an answer at all. And when they do answer, 50/50 chance it's a condescending response. This community is cool.

I did a little digging and the mod that seems to be causing this issue for most people is "Let There Be Flight". I'm currently running the majority of mods I previously had installed and there are no issues. So, it's probably best to hold off on reinstalling that one until the author has a chance to update it.

Top Bottom