Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
@kandynsky Activate them and recrash. IF you have an id41 you should have a minidump.
The default setting must have been lost due to a software like ccleaner, or files may have been cleaned off by ccleaner or the like. Temp deasctivate it if it "cleans" permanently.

Also, give me the name of your mobo, please.

Whoosh. Completely missed that one. It's already activated and still no dumps. That's the whole point. I do not clean these as well with softwares like CCleaner. It's just activated and generating nothing but I'll try again to mess up with the settings later.

Also gonna check "whocrashed" when I'm able to play the game again to see if anything different happens.

MOBO: GA-H97M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.0)

@kandynsky
I can see the mobo is nice :
- it's not $50
- your ram speed is half of what can handle the mobo, so it is in perfect working range
- ads says caps are "durable"

Other things to be sure :
- be sure the GPU is set on PCI-e 3.0.
- be sure you did not messed up with dual channel with ram setup.

Other than that, other things would make your computer allready have failures under windows or other games, so since you came here with this, it's must not the case.

How long is your computer working ? Is it a new computer for CP77, or an old one, that allready played through other AA or AAA 3D games ? (not half-life, but things like heavy GPU load games)
=> if the answer to that is "old", then CDPR migth have a problem (not saying it's you ! but maybe it's the sound chipset.)

If it's old, what kind of bugs this computer allready had in the past ? Any sound issue ?

---

Recently, I had to change "my cpu" (aka my computer) for Death Stranding, as they may have used compilators for the engine that only compiled their code with AVX instruction sets, then maybe they revoked their licences after that.
This was forbidding old but still good cpu to work with it (your CPU handles SSE4.1, SSE4.2 and AVX2 instruction sets like any modern CPU, so don't look there). AVX sets are not a standard in the game industry, this was quite a scandal.

Last edited:
Other things to be sure :
- be sure the GPU is set on PCI-e 3.0.
- be sure you did not messed up with dual channel with ram setup.

- It is.
- I've tried swapping slots back and forth to no avail.

How long is your computer working ? Is it a new computer for CP77, or an old one, that allready played through other AA or AAA 3D games ? (not half-life, but things like heavy GPU load games)
=> if the answer to that is "old", then CDPR migth have a problem (not saying it's you ! but maybe it's the sound chipset.)

It's been a hell of a ride. I believe this PC has almost or more than 5 years. Just changed the GPU last year. Had a 970 that was really struggling with its temps so I bought the 5700 XT but, overall, I've never had this kind of problem. Played AAA titles and really heavy ones with no problems at all. Cyberpunk is the first time I'm seeing it happening. Even with the buggy 5700XT I guess I had some luck not getting any BSOD from the early drivers.

Guest 4478408

the buggy 5700XT
there was one issue with the card early: short black screens in games with freesync enabled.
however, to my experience this only became a frequent issue with overclocking and the issue is fixed by now.

sadly its also rather hard to overclock. an oc might look stable at first and be stable enough to run benchmarks and some games, but infreqently crash in other games games. with bad oc performance also degrades instead of improves (though the crashes are the real issue). usually these crashes happen when switching from a low work load to a high one. i suspect many factory oced modells to be NOT fully stable.
that said: card DEFO should be frequency / voltage optimized for efficiency and sustained clock speeds.

what i learned (ture for my card, not neccesarily yours): memory does not oc. base speed is 1750mhz. it depends a lot on the game, but in sensetive games (like this one) anything more then 1780 will result in driver hangups and application crashes.
the effective clockrate is about 50mhz lower then whats set in oc menue. 2050 will result in 2000mhz, and i found this to be the absolute maximum frequency i can use without going crazy on the voltage. 2050mhz/1100mv, 1780mhz vram, +50% powerlimit is rock stable for me and never crashes in any game. note that it is also neecesary to up the voltage for the 1400mhz point slightly, i use 875mv.

so the tldr is: i love this card but is a diva. try to declock it slightly for troubleshooting. 1950mhz/1100mv, 1750mhz vram +50% powerlimit should be stable even for very low bin quality.

I would try to run the game with no o/c or d/c on any component first.

But I'm not a fan of o/c anyway (since 20 years and those electronics studies, I know what it does on internal signals and I disagree with the process : by o/c you'll have bad quality signals, that will want to repeat their stuff if if goes through error prevention algorythms, and this means hicups and lower perfs on long sessions : it's fine having +5% fps for 10 minutes but if you play 1h or 2, you'll get -5% fps in the end).

I'm ok with o/c stuff that are at their technological end of life though, providing you having a good confidence in your alimentation and mobo (ie no noname stuff, of course).

Guest 4478408

I would try to run the game with no o/c or d/c on any component first.

these cards get higher benchscores then stock and run more efficient with reduced maxiumum boost clock but increased powerlimits.

Last edited by a moderator:
there was one issue with the card early: short black screens in games with freesync enabled.
however, to my experience this only became a frequent issue with overclocking and the issue is fixed by now.

sadly its also rather hard to overclock. an oc might look stable at first and be stable enough to run benchmarks and some games, but infreqently crash in other games games. with bad oc performance also degrades instead of improves (though the crashes are the real issue). usually these crashes happen when switching from a low work load to a high one. i suspect many factory oced modells to be NOT fully stable.
that said: card DEFO should be frequency / voltage optimized for efficiency and sustained clock speeds.

what i learned (ture for my card, not neccesarily yours): memory does not oc. base speed is 1750mhz. it depends a lot on the game, but in sensetive games (like this one) anything more then 1780 will result in driver hangups and application crashes.
the effective clockrate is about 50mhz lower then whats set in oc menue. 2050 will result in 2000mhz, and i found this to be the absolute maximum frequency i can use without going crazy on the voltage. 2050mhz/1100mv, 1780mhz vram, +50% powerlimit is rock stable for me and never crashes in any game. note that it is also neecesary to up the voltage for the 1400mhz point slightly, i use 875mv.

so the tldr is: i love this card but is a diva. try to declock it slightly for troubleshooting. 1950mhz/1100mv, 1750mhz vram +50% powerlimit should be stable even for very low bin quality.

Umm... I'm not OCing. I'm using everything as it came. Not a single bit of OC in any component.

PSU imo.

Quite possibly the PSU has a thermal failure, and is automatically shutting down. That would account for system shutdown with no BSOD and no error log. I would strongly suggest testing with another PSU entirely.

PSU imo.

Quite possibly the PSU has a thermal failure, and is automatically shutting down. That would account for system shutdown with no BSOD and no error log. I would strongly suggest testing with another PSU entirely.

I don't have another one available right now, but multiple users have already reported testing multiple PSUs and getting the same results. Even a brand new PSU is giving the same results. I can't test it because I don't have another PSU and can't buy another one, but by checking other's reports... I wouldn't be so optimistic about this one.

Made an account just for this post
Just wanted to say I'm having the exact same issue. Constant restarts/black screens with absolutely no error messages or dump files.
I have ran multiple stress tests, including p95 and memtest+, no crashes. I can run any other game without issues.
I've set all my clocks back to stock and still have the same issues. And I've checked that it's absolutely not a temp issue

One thing I will say I've noticed is disabling RTX seems to get the game to run for longer for me, but it will eventually lock up or restart.

Also, more importantly, I have noticed that the crashes are related to what's happening in the game! E.g. Some mission where I had to steal a van, every single time I get in the van the pc either hard resets instantly or locks up here. But, if I don't do that mission, it doesn't crash. I tried about 10 times to get into the van with changing settings and stuff between each time, but to no avail. Eventually gave up on that mission and decided to try another and the game ran smoothly without any issues as long as I didn't go back to this mission

I do 100% believe it's the game causing the issues based on my experience with it so far, but I'm open to suggestions if anyone had any

I really hope the next patch fixes these hard resets because it's making the game completely unplayable

If you're computer is just shutting down with no errors this is a PSU or overclocking issue. Remove all overclocks and go from there. Chances are it's the PSU. I've had this happen before with previous games when the PSU was failing. While you may have zero issues with other games and benchmarking software this game works all of the components very hard all at the same time. I'd buy a cheap 600 watt PSU if you have nothing overclocked.

It's definitely not happening because the 'game is broken'. No updates are going to fix your problem. Good luck.

**If that doesn't fix it the motherboard may have a broken part. I've had that happen once.
**This very easy to use tool will tell you if a component is not working at it's full potential. I've been able to figure out many different problems over the years with it. https://www.userbenchmark.com/

If you're computer is just shutting down with no errors this is a PSU or overclocking issue. Remove all overclocks and go from there. Chances are it's the PSU. I've had this happen before with previous games when the PSU was failing. While you may have zero issues with other games and benchmarking software this game works all of the components very hard all at the same time. I'd buy a cheap 600 watt PSU if you have nothing overclocked.

It's definitely not happening because the 'game is broken'. No updates are going to fix your problem. Good luck.

**If that doesn't fix it the motherboard may have a broken part. I've had that happen once.
**This very easy to use tool will tell you if a component is not working at it's full potential. I've been able to figure out many different problems over the years with it. https://www.userbenchmark.com/

Please, read the other comments carefully before adding anything to the discussion. The guy above you just said that reverting all clocks to stock gives the same result. Lots of people tried another PSU and messing with OC and nothing has worked so far. Some have brand new computers with the same issue, just with CP77.

Just because something seems off and out of place, doesn't mean that can't be true. There's definitely something wrong with the game, while we have completely different PCs and we're all having the same problem, again, just with CP77. Doesn't that make you scratch your head just a bit? Everyone already thought it was a PSU problem.

While brand new computers tend to not have a problem with their MOBO, it seems logically improbable that ALL of us have MOBO issues. The same with PSU, RAM, CPU, anything. That was already discussed.

Please, pay attention to what others have commented.

i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)
Post automatically merged:

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?

Mine did the same. At first it would reset. But after almost 2 years with my system without one BSoD I now get them daily.
This game has crashed so much and caused hard lock up's. I just say ask for a refund.
I asked for one on December 22, 2020 08:57.

Still waitting for a reply. Just wait for them to fix this game and get it on sale in like a year when it is stable.
CPR should be ashamed of this release!

Please, read the other comments carefully before adding anything to the discussion. The guy above you just said that reverting all clocks to stock gives the same result. Lots of people tried another PSU and messing with OC and nothing has worked so far. Some have brand new computers with the same issue, just with CP77.

Just because something seems off and out of place, doesn't mean that can't be true. There's definitely something wrong with the game, while we have completely different PCs and we're all having the same problem, again, just with CP77. Doesn't that make you scratch your head just a bit? Everyone already thought it was a PSU problem.

While brand new computers tend to not have a problem with their MOBO, it seems logically improbable that ALL of us have MOBO issues. The same with PSU, RAM, CPU, anything. That was already discussed.

Please, pay attention to what others have commented.

Mate, I made PC's, laptops and servers for a living at one of the worlds top manufacturers and I am qualified in the field. You have a power fault, simple as that. Games cannot and will not make a system completely shutdown. Only system faults can do that. Since you have zero error logs, or error reports it can only be a shutdown due to an issue with power cycling (we can categorically rule out memory and software if there are zero logs).

1.) Monitor all temperatures, and perform a "touch" test on the psu exterior to check for overheating. Triple check wiring also.
2.) If you have an OC of any kind, remove it. No matter how "stable" you think it is, set your CPU and its voltages to default
3.) Make sure you actually have the wattage required +50w for safety overhead or you get brown-outs and under-volting
4.) If #1 #2 and #3 are of no help, next step is replacing the PSU. It has reached its EoL.
5.) If you replace the PSU and it STILL has shutdowns, you are SoL my friend as you have a major fault with either the board or the CPU.

In cases of #5 you would need a multi-meter to check the board.

I am willing to bet you the princely sum of 1 Eurodollar that it is a thermal diode failure in the PSU. Since the PSU internal temps are never measured by the system a user has no idea it has blown until it starts shutting down under load. This is in my experience the #1 failure for PSU's as its a safety feature to stop a runaway PSU catching fire.

No offence intended to you or others posting. Simply getting to the point.
Post automatically merged:

Mine did the same. At first it would reset. But after almost 2 years with my system without one BSoD I now get them daily.
This game has crashed so much and caused hard lock up's. I just say ask for a refund.
I asked for one on December 22, 2020 08:57.

Still waitting for a reply. Just wait for them to fix this game and get it on sale in like a year when it is stable.
CPR should be ashamed of this release!

Whats the BSOD code? If you note the code you can check for a resolution to the problem.

You guys must give tech info if you want help from techies, otherwise it is just a story.

Please provide the BSOD codes, event id and eventually what says whochrashed to provide very basic help.

Give your config, also, esp CPU/GPU/Mobo.

You guys must give tech info if you want help from techies, otherwise it is just a story.

Please provide the BSOD codes, event id and eventually what says whochrashed to provide very basic help.

Give your config, also, esp CPU/GPU/Mobo.

the problem is - there is no BSOD

1) monitor goes to black
2) sound keep working
3) after 2-3 sec sound "freezed" and system just go reboot

temperature of videocard/cpu is not so high, near to 65
also it happens even on start of game, so it is not a problem with heavy-load of system
and furmark stress test is going stable on 4k preset

Videocard 2080s, cpu ryzen 1400

1) monitor goes to black
2) sound keep working

also it happens even on start of game, so it is not a problem with heavy-load of system

You need to disable "automatic restart on system error" in windows to get a BSOD screen with the error code attached. However, black screen with working audio prior to a restart, to me, indicates a graphics driver crash. I would strongly suggest doing a full clean install of the latest graphics drivers for your card.

Hello I thought I'd chime in, and I apologise for having no dump logs. I'm away from my computer for the next eight hours.
I have a couple of observations regarding the crashes. The game will crash to the desktop and windows ask if I'd like to shut down. And if I click no explorer will proceed to crash instead. I'm describing this because I've never seen such a polite crash before.
Only until I read on here about quick saving or in my case saving from the menu did I notice a possible connection to the crashes. And my work-around is to solely on rely on auto saves seems to work a little better

Another thing is that after one particularly rough crash that had to have been caused by overclocking shenanigans wouldn't let me turn my computer back on for like thirty minutes or so, but needless to say I reverted to defaults after that one. But I started to keep the OSD built into Afterburner running. And that just monitoring temperature caused more consistent crashes. So I stopped running that and it seems to help a bit.
Last night I disabled the fast storage option in the gameplay menu.

And long story short I believe that cyberpunk just running is a system wide stress test that exasperates potential instabilities.
Hell it reminded me how janky the ssd it's installed on is, so my next step is to reinstall the game onto a SATA ssd instead of a slapshod m.2.

Ziffa

Forum regular

1) monitor goes to black
2) sound keep working

Have you tried running Ungine Haven till the end of benchmark?
Test ram with memtest86 and put it on a bootable usb.
Do an HDD/SDD check
Have you tried using DDU (display driver unistaller) for your GPU and then do a clean driver install?(older version of driver maybe)

Did you make any OC?Bios settings to default?tried with XMP OFF?

When the screen goes black without the pc shutting down, usually it's the gpu driver crashing, a bad PSU, ram.

Do a full stress test with AIDA64 and Ungine Haven and let us know

Top Bottom