The Beast In Me "kill-route" ending is crap.

+
So I finished this quest and at the end surprisingly found myself disappointed and pissed off beyond belief. The issue was that when we finally get the guy and it V found out that actually Dean death was not just within rules but although not even an intendent murder, there is an option to say that Clair should let it go. She doesn't and kill hem anyway.
Now this is all okay to me. What is seriously not okay, is that after this V is suddenly chill and completely on board with her killing the dude, while just seconds ago V almost screamed at Claire, voicing literary opposite opinion. Where the hell is my option to tell Claire that she is same scumbag as Sampson, and kind of even worse, and then walk away under the rain? Because the way it is now, it felt like I had two routs to finish it, but regardless of choice, both routs ands with the ending for the first one.
And this feels especially jarring not only because it ends in a sudden out of character moment, but it also robs player of agency, robs us a slightly tragic twist ending, and worst of all feels like scriptwriter simply forgot about this, despite that last moment choice to change direction was written moments ago.
I do not know why it is not there, but there must be an option to voice your disappointment in Claire and possibly end your friendship with her if you failed to prevent her from killing Sampson.

You can talk her out of killing him, but it likely depends on the dialogue at the overlook earlier to some degree.

not likely...for sure! You have to say that you wont kill him with cold blood, then you can convince her when she pulls her gun out.

There is def a disconnect in some quests... V snaps and gets all vocal at a NPC, next line total chill.. heh.. Not sure there is a way around that as we are "choosing options", but some could be smoothed out a little at least. I play it off as bipolar due to the chip...

You can talk her out of killing him, but it likely depends on the dialogue at the overlook earlier to some degree.
I do not have problem with her killing him, I have a problem with my character reaction, or to be exact a lack of thereof. One second you tell her that she should drop it, and next one, you completely fine with her "not giving a shit" about what you saying. It's like V have an instant of bipolar disorder, jumping from riled up yelling to caring zen-like state.

End of the day, all NPC quest lines end up disappointing as once you're done with them, that's it.
Can't agree with this. So far this was the only disappointment that I have with quests. I can add that if feels weird that Regina Jones does not cares about cyberpsychos that you meet in quests unrelated to psycho-hunting, but that's nitpicking.

There is def a disconnect in some quests... V snaps and gets all vocal at a NPC, next line total chill.. heh.. Not sure there is a way around that as we are "choosing options", but some could be smoothed out a little at least. I play it off as bipolar due to the chip...
I would agree with is, but in this case it's like V instantly forgets what was said just a second ago. And you cant write it of as a chip-effect, because we as a plyers remember all this. And there wasn't even usual relic malfunction visual effects.

Last edited:

Yep. Done it both ways.

My V has been consistent in dialogue. Actually, the last one I should have just ignored the dude and went for the finish line.

It's partly driven by the choices you made earlier, as least as far as I can tell based on one playthrough. If you tell her you're just there for the race and if he dies because of the race, then that maximizes your chances to talk her out of it. Any other choices I believe results in her killing Sampson.

Top Bottom