Moved to Djinni Labs: Freedom to edit without the chiding

+
Moved to Djinni Labs: Freedom to edit without the chiding

This topic was opened and responded to in the General Discussion thread, but was advised to be moved here. This is what we've got so far: Hello all, I present a question that few have answered and many have asked.The Witcher is a role playing game. I LOVE role playing games. I love maturity. I love depth, concepts, the contrasting shades of dark and light, and I understand them. I delight in horror because I delight in beauty. I live in a world with swearing, nudity, and conceptual violence. I embrace that and make decisions despite it. I am who I am in response to that. Thus, I want a world that lets me expand on and make these choices. Thus, I want to play the Witcher.I want to play this game, but I want to play it on my terms.The same way I read books, watch movies, and enjoy music.If there is something I don't like I change it. I'm not ignoring it. I'm not ignorant. But, I have a choice.Thus, whether I have to become a some sort of godly programmer or some sort of audio savant I want to play this game without swearing or nudity. Nudity has been resolved countless times on many forums. Swearing has not.Is there or is there not a way to access the sound files? Has anyone attempted this? Could I rewrite the entire game using children's narrations and barney dialogue if I wanted (Which I don't, but I've done this to House of the Dead just for extremely annoying kicks. However, those were open .Wav files).-End of official question, disclaimer continues-This question is not asking for anyone to chide me on truly enjoying the game, being a close minded brute, or standing in a state of denial. I have read your attacks on others in a similar vain and your discussions in other forums. If you truly enjoy life by hearing people swear or by looking at nudity then please refrain from indulging me in your insights. Enjoy your game, it has already been made this way FOR YOU. Let me make it for me, the same way I make all of my life. I refuse to accept your shouts at "destroying the art" as an answer. I refuse to accept modern language in a fantasy setting as art. Please, just help me answer this question on behalf of all those who have sought it out. No whining. If it is impossible let me know and I will make it possible in one way or another. Thank you.~Would Andrzej Sapkowski rewrite his books for me? Of course not. Why would he when he expects us to do it ourselves? An author has as much ability to control his words after he has published them as a gunman does his bullet after he fires.~~End of ranting disclaimer~slimgrin: You ask for flames. Corybander: Then burn me, but first answer the question. I am willing to go through no small amount of pain if it results in success.gorthuar: While I'm rather horrified at your dreams of bowlderisation, I'll try to help you. Then I'll be sure to burn you.So: try turning on another voicover. TW1 is wonderful in that regard. You can have Polsih audio with English subtitles, or any other combination of the availible language packs. This means you won't understand any spoken swear words, and will be able to not-read the ones in the subtitles (though how can one not-read a word without reading it first is beyond my simple ken).Now please, come here. Let me purify you in the Eternal Fire.Online slimgrin: Well, there's also the censored version, or perhaps removing the appropriate patch. Even still, I believe you'll run into some language and scantily clad lasses.Online Corybander: An excellent suggestion, and I thank you! That is definitely one alternative and I will freely accept your purification process as long as I get in-flight snacks on the way to the sun. Really, I appreciate your level-headed answer and I truly don't get after any of you for your personal taste other than how my previous statement bluntly implies.However, Is there a more direct method of editing? How are the sound files compressed? Corylea This question properly belongs in the Djinni section of the forum.Yes, we do have access to the sound files and the dialogue files, but they're in a compressed format. Let's go over there, and we can talk about it.Corybander:Quote from Slimgrin: "Well, there's also the censored version, or perhaps removing the appropriate patch. Even still, I believe you'll run into some language and scantily clad lasses."...Which I can handle in a minor regard. Thank you also. However, there must be a more creative or technical fix one can imply if he really has a motivation (and a proper agenda)."Quote from: Corylea on Today at 07:54:04 pmThis question properly belongs in the Djinni section of the forum."Yes, we do have access to the sound files and the dialogue files, but they're in a compressed format. Let's go over there, and we can talk about it.Understood. Thank you.

That is a lot of text. In summary: Changing the sound files for the entirety of the dialogue. How to do it. Is it possible? Time and effort aside, can they be opened and edited?

First, you'll want to know about The Djinni Wiki. There's a lot of good information there, including a page about how to extract the original files.The text that you read on the screen while playing the game -- the subtitles -- is in dialogue files. Each line of dialogue has a box that tells which spoken-word file goes with that line of dialogue. So, you'll need to extract all of the dialogue files -- dialogues00.bif -- to start with, then extract the spoken word files -- dialog_3.tlk and voices_3_00.bif, if you're speaking English.You can use Djinni to edit the subtitles to read anything you want. You'll need a separate program for editing the sound files -- Audacity is free and works well.Going through every line of dialogue to find all of the swear words will be a HUGE job. But if you want to do it, it's all there.

It sounds like an enormous task, but one that I look forward to. This is one way to become very intimate with the game. When I am finished I will post how it all went. Until then, thank you Corylea. Thank you very much.

So would the same technique make it possible to correct the spelling & grammatical errors? Not that it matters a great deal, but each time I start a new game they rankle a little bit more.

KeybdFlyer said:
So would the same technique make it possible to correct the spelling & grammatical errors? Not that it matters a great deal, but each time I start a new game they rankle a little bit more.
Absolutely! For those who edit the dialogue files, just be very, very careful that you leave everything ELSE about the files exactly as is, and edit only the wording. Lots of quests depend on Geralt's uttering a certain line of dialogue to update the journal and go on to the next phase of the quest, so you'll need to make sure not to delete those lines and not to remove the quest connection.If you change the wording of a dialogue line that is called in a quest, you might need to update the wording in the quest file, as well. I think as long as the marker is still there, the new wording will work, but you'll want to try this out in a few test cases before you alter everything.Similarly, there are dialogue flags that make sure the player gets certain lines at certain times and not at other times, and you'll need to make sure that you don't disturb those flags at all.The dialogue is a big part of what makes the game run, so do read the Djinni Wiki and make sure you know exactly what you're doing before you change anything.

Top Bottom