Gender-free Romance Petition

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,
This probably won't make a difference, but you never know and it never hurts to ask, so I've started a petition to remove gender restrictions from the game's romance options. If you have the time and inclination, would you mind taking a look, signing and/or maybe sharing on social, etc?
Thanks for your time, chooms!

Petition to Remove Romance Gender Restrictions

It's easier to create more NPC's with their own quirks/romance-options than force what is already there to swing all ways. Maybe a future DLC dealing with romances should include more NPC's as well, to add flesh to the stories with the companions we already have. The game as it is now is bare-bones, for the completion of the game itself, to land on physical and digital shelfs around the world.

It's really a numbers game. If you're marketing a feature in the game such as a romance quest, you're going to market this towards the majority. This is why games are typically targeted towards the straight man or women. The money spent to cater towards that audience is a safe investment. If CDPR decides to spend money and time to cater towards a specific audience but that audience is many times smaller; they have to justify that cost to the investors. This is why movies that cater to extremely small groups fail. So it's not personal, it's just business.

I personally think I'd be okay with the choices if they didn't bind them to V's voicetype, which I found very bizarre given those aren't limited to a sex or gender IRL. I'd rather see that asinine requirement removed.

In my opinion, the main problem is that there're too few romantic options. Theoretically, 4; according to gender, 2; according to sexual orientation, 1
If have to choose from the current opinions, I think Judy and my male V are the best-matched. If not limited to the current romantic opinions, I think Oda and him are the best-matched
Anyway, in my mind, my V is pansexual:sleep:

In my opinion, the main problem is that there're too few romantic options. Theoretically, 4; according to gender, 2; according to sexual orientation, 1
If have to choose from the current opinions, I think Judy and my male V are the best-matched. If not limited to the current romantic opinions, I think Oda and him are the best-matched
Anyway, in my mind, my V is pansexual:sleep:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say your male V and Judy are the best-matched... Judy is gay. If you try to hit on her as a male she'll shot you down saying "You dont wanna go there, dude" and such.
Post automatically merged:

Judy belongs to MALE V
3c4508b9bbfb31ae239f575b755c8fe5.gif

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say your male V and Judy are the best-matched... Judy is gay. If you try to hit on her as a male she'll shot you down saying "You dont wanna go there, dude" and such.
I just mean is that I think she is a good match for my male V in appearance (style) and personality (though V's general personality is the same, the details can be shaped through dialogue options. I try to shape my V into a gentle person), nothing else
Again, the options are too less. I actually disagree remove the sexual orientation restrictions, but can add new romantic opinions such as Takemura, Dum Dum, Meridith (not just one-night stand), or new character(s) from future DLC (I always have a bold idea, romance with a Scav), they can be heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual.
Anyway, more opinions

Last edited:
The developers and designers made a gameworld and story the way they want to make it. It will forever perplex me to hear people saying that this should have been done in any different way whatsoever simply because an individual, or even big groups of individuals, would prefer it to be different. Fan-fiction is your answer folks, go write your own stories. Some people make a living doing just that so this is a perfectly reasonable response.

They could easily make Judy bisexual, since there are voice lines for that, but that would make twitter/resetera crowd SEETHE out of anger.
Problem with the Judy romance voice lines performed by V's male voice actor Gavin Drea is that they're voicelines intended exclusively for Female V, which means other characters will adress Male V as a woman (Judy's "You got talent girl." and Carol's "I'll leave you girls to it.", among others). Even Gavin's own voice lines refer to V as a woman, which can be seen in the voiceline where he makes the jokes about lesbians and moving vans to Judy... the joke makes absolutely no sense for Male V since he's a man, which means he only recorded the line as a precaution, not because Judy was ever intended to be romanced by Male V.

On the other hand you've got Panam and River, both of whom have full, proper dialogue and texts for same-sex romances (determined by which voice you pick at the start). Only their same-sex romances are locked behind body types (Male for Panam and Female for River).

I wouldn't normally agree with a petition like this because I think who a character is is as much the creator's choice as the player's, and like others I don't agree that having everyone be bi is realistic.

Having said that, as a gay man I would be utterly delighted to see more gay characters who are just "normal" human beings. I think the most excited I've been about a game romance was my date with River and looking at the view. Until it turned out he wasn't into guys.

There is a dearth of representation in games of non-straight people who do not define their personae by the irrelevant fact of which gender they take to bed. There should be fully functioning human beings who just happen to like guys or girls, like in, you know, real life. It is simply not realistic and it is actively alienating to be presented with sexuality-based clichés.

Last edited:
I wouldn't normally agree with a petition like this because I think who a character is is as much the creator's choice as the player's, and like others I don't agree that having everyone be bi is realistic.

Having said that, as a gay man I would be utterly delighted to see more gay characters who are just "normal" human beings. I think the most excited I've been about a game romance was my date with River and looking at the view. Until it turned out he wasn't into guys.

There is a dearth of representation in games of non-straight people who do not define their personae by the irrelevant fact of which gender they take to bed. There should be fully functioning human beings who just happen to like guys or girls, like in, you know, real life. It is simply not realistic and it is actively alienating to be presented with sexuality-based clichés.
For me Kerry is a normal person, as far as celebrities go, anyway.

Given that the VA for Judy herself said, ''between two women if that's the way you chose to go'' Pretty much indicates choice was indeed a thing and was written as such, It's whatever... , Just watch her Interview with Dan Before calling me a liar.
And please Mods don't ban me for posting what the VA herself said.

Given that the VA for Judy herself said, ''between two women if that's the way you chose to go'' Pretty much indicates choice was indeed a thing and was written as such, It's whatever... , Just watch her Interview with Dan Before calling me a liar.
Nobody's gonna call you a liar, freedom of speech is a thing. But regardless of any scrapped ideas the game might have had, the fact is Judy is written as gay and it shows.

She obviously said that because female V has a choice between River and Judy. And on top of that, another VA, Gavin Drea, which is male V, said something interesting you might want to hear (if it doesn't play from the set time, then go to 44:17):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom