Gender-free Romance Petition

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here, FB groups, and other forums have a lot of post about romance this and that. Is it that serious?

The game is scripted the way the developers wanted. I don’t see anyone complaining when a male V can’t romance a male NPC, or can he?

There is also a lot of other big title RPG with fewer or no romance options. You know why, because it wasn’t in the script. Might as well complain about why those developers didn’t let you have the options.

Maybe work on personal development and try to “romance” in reality. It will be much more worth it.
Ummm bro I totally agree to the stuff you say, but can you just people stop commenting on personal stuff, like if someone is complaining about romance and you say find this in reality (literally saying you guys are loser and have no chance in reality).
Like if someone ask for vehicle customisation in game, go say to him,"Go bro, customise and color your own vehicle."

Man took a while to read through through 6+ pages of post.....
So here is my 2 cents and I am only responding to the OP directly.

Hey all,
This probably won't make a difference, but you never know and it never hurts to ask,

No it will not. CDPR as been very clear on this topic and will never change the current romanceable character restrictions.

No it does not hurt to ask but you run the risk of getting mobbed [...] when you ask for something CDPR has clearly stated will never happen. Especially this.

Hey all,
....so I've started a petition to remove gender restrictions from the game's romance options.

In my honest opinion your petition should be titled, "Petition to Add More Romance Options" and you should request that some of those take in to consideration those who believe that gender is fluid.

Full disclosure I am not one of them. I do not subscribe to this belief however I do believe that those who do should be shown common human decency. [...]

CDPR has never said they will never or are against adding more romance options, as far as I am aware, so you would have better luck taking that path then running head long into a brick wall so to speak.

If you have the time and inclination, would you mind taking a look, signing and/or maybe sharing on social, etc?
Thanks for your time, chooms!

If you take my suggestion about your petition I would be happy to. But as it currently is I must respectfully decline.

The reason I can't support removing the romance restrictions is that doing so would be so incredibly disrespectful to those who spend countless hours creating these characters for us. They are incredible works of art and this must be respected.

Thanks for your time, chooms!

I wish you the best choom and while I disagree with what you are asking for I do applaud how you presented it in a respectful manner.

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone's piling on, but I gotta agree that being able to just hook up with anyone really undermines other character's presence in that world. You taking away Their preference is really... intrusive and has a bit of a dark undertone. I like the way V is written, a human, separate from the player's tone most likely and just as limited in choices and life conditions like everyone in that world.

Yeah, everyone's piling on, but I gotta agree that being able to just hook up with anyone really undermines other character's presence in that world. You taking away Their preference is really... intrusive and has a bit of a dark undertone. I like the way V is written, a human, separate from the player's tone most likely and just as limited in choices and life conditions like everyone in that world.
I would agree if this was a liner story but in a game with choice and open to alternate endings and different approaches it doesn't quite fit, If looking at it from a generic perspective of how you personally experience it and how you personally felt like it was written well then I'm happy for you, however there's a difference between writing to fit the game and writing to fit a target audience and in this regard, It was clearly not taking into account player choice and instead wrote to meet certain demographics, I respect the writing but not it's handling.

there's a difference between writing to fit the game and writing to fit a target audience and in this regard, It was clearly not taking into account player choice and instead wrote to meet certain demographics, I respect the writing but not it's handling.

I honestly don't see why CDPR should cater to a small minority of people (less than 1%) and in return risk alienating the rest of their customer base.

No.

ME3 "everyone is bi" is a bad idea.

It's not the case in real life, it shouldn't be represented in game. You detract from the character by wanting such things. The friendship you forge with the other person (because we are talking about Judy/Panam here), is just as valuable. If you want to romance the other, you can do so by playing the appropriate gender.
I agree the romance options are like real life, I have gay male friends that shun advances from women like Kerry does and I have had women shun me like Panam ( made me a little sad). Just like I turned down River for romance. I think they did a good job with the romance options in Cyberpunk.

I would agree if this was a liner story but in a game with choice and open to alternate endings and different approaches it doesn't quite fit, If looking at it from a generic perspective of how you personally experience it and how you personally felt like it was written well then I'm happy for you, however there's a difference between writing to fit the game and writing to fit a target audience and in this regard, It was clearly not taking into account player choice and instead wrote to meet certain demographics, I respect the writing but not it's handling.
For the main driving force ''You're dying'' it's pretty linear, but where I find the difference in choice is having a 33 hour first playthrough and not thinking much of it, but going next playthrough 90 hours and taking everything optional to stumble on nice quest chains, not so discussed or seemingly noticed about this game. General story is very general for the generic generalness of mundane generality... etc etc and I might be niche for having the appeal in lore, but if you are absolutely interested, do side-jobs and read up on the shards, read messages from computers and just ignore that main path, as much as it doesn't make sense when "Your time is limited". You'll notice that yeah, the main story is all you, just linear path of survival (even when those linear branches turn optional), but on the side the world doesn't know or care who you are, it just operates on it's own and you are just there to do your job.

On linear story, I can agree with your point, but with characters simply having preference and not being able to force yourself upon them, I'm a bit thrown off by the thought. The issue for those virtual relationships however is that of course they're limited in that world since you either die now, die later, die differently or go off to die.

If there was something to complain about in the romance options, than it's the lack of bi characters.
I'd like to see a male and a female bisexual romance option in either of the DLCs.
I think the main problem is a lack of romance options in general. Just two for each gender, in a fictional world where sex is pretty much sold around every corner, is laughable.

I think the main problem is a lack of romance options in general. Just two for each gender, in a fictional world where sex is pretty much sold around every corner, is laughable.
Considering how well written they are, I wouldn't call it "laughable".
But in general, I agree. A few more would be cool, since there already are a few very interesting characters that barely make an appearance.

Can we make the petition instead for more characters to romance instead of forcing a strictly gay character to go against her sexual interests? So many characters in the game I would have at least liked to have the option to try and romance. Even if I'm turned down like how Judy does because she's not interested, I'd like more opportunities in the future. I know I developed slight crushes on a few characters. Claire I felt would be a hard sell for obvious reasons, but even if she said she couldn't, I'd like the opportunity. Denny would be interesting, and I feel it wouldn't be a far stretch. Elizabeth Peralez would be fantastic. I have a feeling the Peralez's wouldn't be far off on allowing this. Evelyn...maybe a quick fling. Hanako would be a fun challenge, but unlikely. Michiko Arasaka, however....that would be an interesting story line. Lizzie Wizzie I felt had a major opportunity for some sort of fling with how weird her story went and how crazy she went. I honestly felt it may have ended up that way if it didn't end so abruptly.

It's totally flawed. Because they didn't want to do proper dialog and animations for rejections. They did the wall approach. Romance is active, till game checks you're wrong gender, Romance ends. Example. River invites V up the water towe

Yeah that River part was something :LOL: I mean he just invited my male V to his home, V helped him with cooking, we were having a dinner with his family when his sister asked my V if he's single and said smth about her brother's private life, and then River took my V on his hands to help him get over the fence, he took V to the most romantic spot where we drinking booze and looking at starts, and if you try to kiss him he's just going to "sorry fella no homo" :coolstory:

That was embarrassing :D

Not a good idea, making characters sexuality interchangeable waters down the characters and removes an aspect of their personality, they can always add more characters that are bisexual or pansexual but leave the characters who are straight or gay as they are, making ALL the romanceable characters bisexual just doesn't make sense.

Not that I was trying not to but I didn’t romance Judy or Panam. This was before I knew they were gender specific. I was playing female V. I guess Judy wasn’t satisfied with how her mission turned out. The only NPC that I had “sex” with was Rogue and that’s because it was part of mission. Even that scene wasn’t that great. Is there frontal nudity in this game? Compare to TW3 this is PG stuff.

Maybe I’ll play it again as male V when they release the DLC.

I feel ya my dude, you don't seem to have bad intentions at all, it does seem kinda touchy in the forums. I personally really enjoy that characters have their own sexual preference regardless of V.

Is there a particular character that you'd wish wasn't locked behind a specific preference?, if so, perchance you play on PC; there might be some mods you could be willing to try.
Personally, I'd just like a couple of characters with fleshed out romance options who specifically fit into the gender neutral or trans community.
Can we make the petition instead for more characters to romance instead of forcing a strictly gay character to go against her sexual interests? So many characters in the game I would have at least liked to have the option to try and romance. Even if I'm turned down like how Judy does because she's not interested, I'd like more opportunities in the future. I know I developed slight crushes on a few characters. Claire I felt would be a hard sell for obvious reasons, but even if she said she couldn't, I'd like the opportunity. Denny would be interesting, and I feel it wouldn't be a far stretch. Elizabeth Peralez would be fantastic. I have a feeling the Peralez's wouldn't be far off on allowing this. Evelyn...maybe a quick fling. Hanako would be a fun challenge, but unlikely. Michiko Arasaka, however....that would be an interesting story line. Lizzie Wizzie I felt had a major opportunity for some sort of fling with how weird her story went and how crazy she went. I honestly felt it may have ended up that way if it didn't end so abruptly.
Honestly, the point of my petition was that it didn't seem feasible to ask the developers to put out more romance options, just given the reports of what their working conditions were like for the initial release, so I was simply try to think of a "fix" that would exclude less people and be actually achievable without asking people to work 13 hour days for god knows how long. A lot of people have piled on, some have equated my request for open sexuality to wanting the ability to identify as a cyberpsycho, some have called the idea "rapey," but in actuality I just looked at the problem of exclusion and tried to think of the easiest solution for the game designers. It's not even my first choice. I'd much rather the game simply had fleshed out romance options that took into account gender-neutral, gender-nonconforming, and trans individuals specifically, but that seemed like a pretty large ask for a bunch of people who are probably working hard to fix so many other things... It's dishearterning to know that if you're anything other than straight, gay, lesbian, or bi, you simply don't count as a reasonable individual to so many people, and you're either told you're straight up wrong or you should play a character that doesn't reflect who you are to fit in...
Post automatically merged:

While I think folks see what you are saying, here is where I think part of the struggle is:

"The fact that I can, for example, play a character with a "feminine voice," breasts, and a penis, but am limited in my romance options to what we would, in 2021, consider to belong to the strictly "lesbian" category is really disheartening to me as a player and I know I'm not alone."

vs

"I'm a human being just like you and I am one of many who share the same or similar gender orientations. The fact that I cannot see myself reflected in this game that I love without altering my body or my voice in a way that directly opposes who I am if I want to be able to "romance" the sort of people I can in real life makes me intensely sad. "

Do not add up. Unless you are saying that your example person above would be able to romance a straight male person in real life? To that I have to disagree.

I am not 100% on this, but does not every possible V configuration have an equal amount of romance options? Again, I am going off of what I have heard and not seen for myself.
For the record, I have many friends who have opted not to go the surgical route and still have genitalia that doesn't accord with their identity, and yes they have had "straight" partners. I also have friends who have opted to change their genitalia but have left their secondary sex characteristics alone (I.E.. - they still have breasts but also have a penis) and they have had a range of partners from traditionally straight to traditionally gay and beyond.
Post automatically merged:

I'm at the very least happy to know that the negative response I have received in this particular forum has not been reflected in the other fandom spaces, online and in real life, that I am a part of. This has been an uncharacteristically toxic experience that thankfully doesn't seem to be mirrored in the rest of the science fiction/cyberpunk-genre fandom, which seems to be comprised of people who are actually comfortable with the idea that the future might not be as rigid as the present when it comes to relationships...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom