X: Rebirth

+
X: Rebirth

I cannot express how excited I am for this game. Egosoft is a throwback developer who is sticking to their passion, and I think it's finally going to pay off:

Looks like EVE online but with better graphics and first person perspective.

Well, with the difference that EVE is a click and choose type of a game, more like an RTS. The X series is a series of space simulator games. Had to make the distinction, because playing a simulator is nothing like playing a clicker, especially if you're flying using a joystick.

What this game looks like is X, X² and X³, only with today's graphics. Which is awesome, because the series is great. I'm personally quite excited by this one. I've always loved space sims of all kinds. The X series, Freelancer, I-WAR 2, and so on.

Looks like EVE online but with better graphics and first person perspective.

The X series predates EVE. Egosoft was established in 1988, first developing games for the Amiga...:eek: It's literally a 20+ person team that has helped to keep the genre alive. For the first time, we get to leave the ships when we dock and explore space stations on foot, which I feel has tremendous potential. The series has a robust community of modders too, so the game will end up having tons of content.

Think this might be a good time to buy a HOTAS Warthog. Never got around to buying the Cougar 10-15 years ago, so the Warthog might be a fun thing to have now for games like X.

Doesn't get better than that for sims.

That's fair enough.

It's also single player only, so I shall have to put some thought into my opinion on it.

As it stands, it looks nice and the gameplay looks quite a lot of fun.

Wow, that looks awesome MacLeod. I have an old Logitech Xtreme digital 3d. Nothing fancy but it has 8 buttons, a throttle slide and twist handle. It still gives me buttery smooth control. I'm considering a gaming keyboard too but not sure if it's worth the investment.

I played a couple of the X series. I found them pleasant but unwonderful. More looking forward to Star Citizen, really.

The greatest tv-show ever the Babylon 5 (a fact) got me hooked on on space opera. Unfortunately while I'd like to play space games they often lack decent story. X-Rebirth seems to change that. Tried few space sims in the past but never got really into them.

Gonna wait for reviews for this, but my question to you guys is this: Is this enjoyable with keyboard or gamepad or do you guys think it requires joystick?
If so what should I look in a good stick? Stick enough or does it require gas/throttle etc? I'm thinking something in a price range of 50€ to 150€, but can go over it if it really makes a difference.
Also if you can give me perhaps recommendations of some decent sticks that would be cool too :)

The greatest tv-show ever the Babylon 5 (a fact) got me hooked on on space opera.

I watched Babylon 5. I lived Babylon 5. I played the CCG. I was so into it, it's ridiculous. Then, when Sheridan finally took his Sunday drive and it all ended, I felt empty. Soon, the empty feeling started to turn into nausea, much like after you've been gorging yourself with an entire creamy, chocolaty, sweet cake. It took a while, but afterwards I started to question my own sanity; how the hell could I have been so into that...crap. Finally I saw it for what it was: the Bold and the Beautiful, in space. :cool:

Same thing happened to me with David Eddings' books. Of course, this all is just my own interpretation of the quality of said products. You're free to love them.

Unfortunately while I'd like to play space games they often lack decent story. X-Rebirth seems to change that. Tried few space sims in the past but never got really into them.

While story is cool and all, if the space flight and space combat, and especially space piracy isn't done right, it's not going to work for me. I-WAR 2 has awesome piracy in it. If only you could play it properly without a joystick. Freelancer has easy-to-master flight, but besides that it's a bit simplistic and shallow. As far as flight physics go, I'm fine with either Star Wars physics, or real world physics. Just as long as there's loot to be had, and just as long as you can truck that loot through vast expanses of space, always on the lookout for other pirates and scum.

Gonna wait for reviews for this, but my question to you guys is this: Is this enjoyable with keyboard or gamepad or do you guys think it requires joystick?
If so what should I look in a good stick? Stick enough or does it require gas/throttle etc? I'm thinking something in a price range of 50€ to 150€, but can go over it if it really makes a difference.
Also if you can give me perhaps recommendations of some decent sticks that would be cool too :)

You want a good stick?

(Click to go to Thrustmaster's site.)

Doesn't get better than that. Well, sure... It'll cost you. But it's good. :)

While story is cool and all, if the space flight and space combat, and especially space piracy isn't done right, it's not going to work for me. I-WAR 2 has awesome piracy in it. If only you could play it properly without a joystick. Freelancer has easy-to-master flight, but besides that it's a bit simplistic and shallow. As far as flight physics go, I'm fine with either Star Wars physics, or real world physics. Just as long as there's loot to be had, and just as long as you can truck that loot through vast expanses of space, always on the lookout for other pirates and scum.
Yeah of course story isn't everything. More important should be living Space. Don't wanna see situations where sector is cleared of all enemies and few stations destroyed -> come back week later and everything is as it used to be.

The greatest tv-show ever the Babylon 5 (a fact) got me hooked on on space opera. Unfortunately while I'd like to play space games they often lack decent story. X-Rebirth seems to change that. Tried few space sims in the past but never got really into them.

Give a try to the first homeworld if you are fine with rts games. It's a star wars/trek mix without the weird shit.

Was watching some LPs as I was replaying some of the older X games.

You seriously have my condolences, nobody deserves to get burned by that kind of hype.

This is what happens when developers try to mainstream. Maybe it's me and my tinfoil hat, but the game feels so uncannily like a bad console port; all the limitations are there. They had seven years and a vast amount of gameplay to build on. Instead, they threw it all in the bin and made 'GTA in SPACE'...their description.

Top Bottom