Valve is making 3 big announcments

+
...Like a giant NES cartridge.

That is such an awesome image!!!

For the life of me I don't get the HL craze, but whatever. On topic though, I am ambivalent about the Steam Box because of its promise to utilize biometrics for gameplay- doesn't sound very fun.

Half Life 1 was excellent for the time. Reactive AI, interesting story, non-stereotypical main character, slow start. Great stuff. Really fun multiplayer, gave rise to Action Half Life and Counterstrike, to name only a couple.

HL 2 I found so so. Great game as well, but not so ground breaking. I was falling in love with Bloodlines at the time and the two just didn't compare for me.

Didn't play enough of the Episodes to judge.

HL 3...could be good?

Half Life 1 was excellent for the time. Reactive AI, interesting story, non-stereotypical main character, slow start. Great stuff. Really fun multiplayer, gave rise to Action Half Life and Counterstrike, to name only a couple.

HL 2 I found so so. Great game as well, but not so ground breaking. I was falling in love with Bloodlines at the time and the two just didn't compare for me.

Didn't play enough of the Episodes to judge.

HL 3...could be good?

For me HL1 was great.. The way they used friendly NPC's was amazing at the time..
But i LOVED HL2.. It had great characters, amazing story, fun gameplay and so on.. It is one of my favorite games of all times.. Don't get me wrong, i bought Bloodlines and Half-life 2 about same time, but even though i'm a RPG nut, i liked HL2 better.. In bloodlines, there were so many things to not like.. So many bugs, so many loose ends and an ending(s) that didn't entirely made sense.. (I don't want to give any spoilers but endings should give some answers, not only more questions..) To be fair, i replayed it recently and with unofficial patch, it is much better..

Also Half-life 2 had Alyx:

Only game character i had a slight crush on.. My girlfriend at the time was a bit jealous and annoyed even.. (I wasn't at all upset on her crush on Johnny Bravo... Woah, momma.. Some will get the joke...)

Also, the way Half-Life 2 masterfully use facial expressions was amazing.. St,ll even better than some of the games we have now..

And Episode 1 and 2 were good, i only hope they will not ruin HL3..

That just reminded me, the Team Fortress "Meet the..." videos were awesome:

I hope we can see something in a similar veign for the roles for 2077. (Except for the type of humour, obviously.)

It's going to be interesting to see will they reveal the hardware today especially after AMD basically confirmed that they are supporting it...they will have their own special reveal(which will one way or another be connected to steambox)two hours after Valve's and all in all PC gamers are in for a treat today.

Heh. I just have to say...the Half Life 2 end left lots and lots of questions.

Every good story leaves "some" questions in the end.. Those are not the problem.. And most of the questions HL2 left behind are same questions HL1 left behind.. Also, episodes took care of few of them.. Only if Gabe Newell wasn't an evil bastard we would have had HL2EP3 already.. :D I used to think he was an awesome person.. Now all he does is to mock us all, that smug bastard.. :D

I mean, what question you were left with exactly?

From HL2? It's kind of famous for leaving everyone hanging until the next one, but here, have a link for some of them:

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:HL2_Questions

Some of these were answered later and some can be inferred, but at the time, they didn't really explain a lot. Who and what the G Man is, what Gordon's role is and why him, how they get him around and why, what the Combine is and why, what happens after Gordon does his job and why it's so important or significant that he does...

Don't get me wrong - I don't care enough to worry about this, but at the time these were a few of the issues HL2 left you hanging with.

What questions did you have at the end of Bloodlines? They spelled everything out pretty clearly. Who did what to whom and why.

Forum veteran
For the life of me I don't get the HL craze, but whatever.
It was one of the first games to give you a companion who is actually competent. Not having to look after someone so stupid and death-prone as to run into your line of fire and die when unattended was great at the time. A lot of games still can't get that right.

I think the audio had a lot to do with it, too. Still love the sound effects in HL2, from the pop of the pistol to the metallic, grinding sound of the buzzy killy things.

What questions did you have at the end of Bloodlines? They spelled everything out pretty clearly. Who did what to whom and why.
Been a long time since I've played Bloodlines, but how about the identity of the cab driver?

Definitely more explained than Half Life, though. Seems pretty clear now that Valve made the whole thing up as they went along. That's probably why episode 3 never materialized; they most likely wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't resolve everything without some fan-enraging magic.

It was one of the first games to give you a companion who is actually competent. Not having to look after someone so stupid and death-prone as to run into your line of fire and die when unattended was great at the time. A lot of games still can't get that right.

I think the audio had a lot to do with it, too. Still love the sound effects in HL2, from the pop of the pistol to the metallic, grinding sound of the buzzy killy things.

Been a long time since I've played Bloodlines, but how about the identity of the cab driver?

Definitely more explained than Half Life, though. Seems pretty clear now that Valve made the whole thing up as they went along. That's probably why episode 3 never materialized; they most likely wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't resolve everything without some fan-enraging magic.

From memory, and looking around, there are two acceptable theories as to the cab driver, but I won't post spoilers here...

The Cab Driver seemed to be one person from World Of Darkness lore, but turned out not to be. Probably.

I add the probably but it's pretty certain not. If you know your WoD lore, you know who I'm talking about. Most of us suspected it as soon as we met him.

Hmm. Urge to run WoD growing.

Who is cab driver? How did cab driver know all this would happen? (assuming jack was speaking to the cab driver and not the dead mummy guy when he said "it is all happened just like you said it") Was it Jack who massacred Dune's crew and why? (And after he said don't give into the beast and don't kill innocents like a dozen times) What reason did he really have to plant a bomb? Did he wanted to help the anarchs or is he have something going on with the cab driver? Why did Jack left us to die in the end? Not even telling us about the bomb.. He didn't even say "don't open it" he just said "you gotta do what you gotta do". If we survive the endings, how does Jack know about it? (He makes a comment about it in the end) I can list like 20 more..

You see what i mean? And this is just one ending..

Some of these were answered later and some can be inferred, but at the time, they didn't really explain a lot. Who and what the G Man is, what Gordon's role is and why him, how they get him around and why, what the Combine is and why, what happens after Gordon does his job and why it's so important or significant that he does...

Don't get me wrong - I don't care enough to worry about this, but at the time these were a few of the issues HL2 left you hanging with.

Like i've said, most of this were explained in the episodes.. In HL2, they explained that combine is forces they recruited (enslaved) from other planets over time.. And some beings (later found out to be "The Combine Advisors") controls and coordinates them. Why Gordon? Well, Gman explained that in HL1.. He "hires" Gordon, because he almost escaped against incredible odds, thus proving himself to be a quite capable fella.. Since Gman cannot directly interfere (as he explained it himself) he needs agents who will do his bidding.. And after Gordon finished his job, Gman puts him in some sort of dimension where times passes really slowly..

From HL2? It's kind of famous for leaving everyone hanging until the next one, but here, have a link for some of them:

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:HL2_Questions

And some of those questions on that page is really stupid.. I mean REALLY stupid.. They are not even the questions endings left behind.. One of the questions from that page is: "Do Metropolice/Combine Soldiers have callsigns/designations?" Really? :D Someone actually wondered that the whole game and was upset because they didn't explain it?

Well, so far I am 2 for 2...

40 hours until the announcement of the Steambox Zord...

I'm now scared of your masterful skill of predicting the future... :D

Hope Half-Life 3 is at least a bit longer than 1 and 2. You know a game is ridiculously short when you play through it in one sitting. The previous ones were somewhere along the lines of 10€/hour, which to me is just a tad too expensive, especially when all the replayability was tied to multiplayer deathmatch and third party mods like Counter-Strike.

Top Bottom