Asking tips for finding Cyberpunk players

+
Asking tips for finding Cyberpunk players

Well... since I got the CP2020 rulesbook in around 2010 December or as my B-day gift in Spring 2011, I've had this terrible luck at finding any players in my country...

That's why I'm asking from you guys (and girls) some tips for finding any Cyberpunks in own country (or in states of some countries).

Try to ask your friends, a cyberpunk game with a few beers is always fun.
You just need to explain them the gameplay and try a "demo game", just for the fun of it, if they're catched it's good, otherwise you can do it via skype with people interested to play it online (people from forums, facebook friends, etc...).

I would start with the person who gave you the books. Finding players seems to be the hardest part these days. The people I play with now came from various sources. Two had already played Cyberpunk, and one we converted.

The latest player we met by running a zombie game at a local gaming store, using the Cyberpunk 2020 rules. Another through http://www.penandpapergames.com don't know if it is still active. Or in Finland. Same with meetup.com.

A demo game is a good way to start. Run it at your local game store, or meeting point. Make up characters for them with all the math done. So they can just arrive and play.

Try to ask your friends, a cyberpunk game with a few beers is always fun.
You just need to explain them the gameplay and try a "demo game", just for the fun of it, if they're catched it's good, otherwise you can do it via skype with people interested to play it online (people from forums, facebook friends, etc...).

Thanks, that opened interesting viewpoints for me. :)

I would start with the person who gave you the books. Finding players seems to be the hardest part these days. The people I play with now came from various sources. Two had already played Cyberpunk, and one we converted.

The latest player we met by running a zombie game at a local gaming store, using the Cyberpunk 2020 rules. Another through http://www.penandpapergames.com don't know if it is still active. Or in Finland. Same with meetup.com.

A demo game is a good way to start. Run it at your local game store, or meeting point. Make up characters for them with all the math done. So they can just arrive and play.

That could work, but I have apparently no GM experience... :p
And it was my parents who bought that book for me (in "mint in da box").

I ran a relatively succesful game on Skype with a few guys from on here for a while, (until I got a new job that kind of killed all my available time...)

That could work, but I have apparently no GM experience... :p

I hadn't either when I started lol, just a few Dungeon&Dragon games in my teenage years, until a few years agos, we were bored with a bunch of friend, we talked about pnp, that it could be fun and all, I searched upon the net, found "Cyberpunk2020" and thought "holy shit, that sounds awesome!", I showed it to my pals "I got better than bashin goblins in a dungeon, here you can replace your arm with a cybernetic one, implant a mini-rocket launcher inside and blow away your boss with it" no need to say they were catched lol.

Firsts game as a GM is always awkward, you need to remind yourself every rules, you don't really know where you go, your player will try to "abuse" the situation; but after a few game, you'll have the hand on it.
Just tell a story, let your player roams throught it, for the first games you should try a "closed" story, like "XXXX's sister has been kidnapped, try to get her", take inspiration from a few movie, and play it the best you can, leaving some place for improvisation.

Also, read a lot of cyberpunk books, they'll learn you how to "talk" about your universe, and will fill your imagination (btw cyberpunk books are usualy good), for a first read i'd council you Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams, Neuromancer (it's a classic, and easy to find) by William Gibson, Little Heroes by Norman Spinrad (it describe well the urban decay, you can totaly transcribe his vision of the poor blocks of new york to the Night City's combat zone), etc...

Once you'll be "in the mood", and you have your hands on the rules, you can try an "open world" game, it ask a lot more improvisation and preparation, but you'll have a lot more fun, even as a GM (punishing a too-much-curious player is always a nice moment lol), and don't be too much rude, if your player want to do crazy stuff, let them do it, but they'll have to pay the price for it sometimes.

And most important : have fun.
If you're too much awkward as a GM, your game will be, and your player will feel it.
Try to take them in your world, and let them walk inside it, but remind yourself that Cyberpunk 2020's world is a dangerous one

I ran a relatively succesful game on Skype with a few guys from on here for a while, (until I got a new job that kind of killed all my available time...)

I have heard of this, and seen in youtube.
Hardest thing would be, for me at least, finding and/or convincing my friends to try it...
...and in the latter option my friends would most obviously tire out before we get started when I have to explain the rule system...
Thaks for the hint anyway! ;)

I hadn't either when I started lol, just a few Dungeon&Dragon games in my teenage years, until a few years agos, we were bored with a bunch of friend, we talked about pnp, that it could be fun and all, I searched upon the net, found "Cyberpunk2020" and thought "holy shit, that sounds awesome!", I showed it to my pals "I got better than bashin goblins in a dungeon, here you can replace your arm with a cybernetic one, implant a mini-rocket launcher inside and blow away your boss with it" no need to say they were catched lol.

Firsts game as a GM is always awkward, you need to remind yourself every rules, you don't really know where you go, your player will try to "abuse" the situation; but after a few game, you'll have the hand on it.
Just tell a story, let your player roams throught it, for the first games you should try a "closed" story, like "XXXX's sister has been kidnapped, try to get her", take inspiration from a few movie, and play it the best you can, leaving some place for improvisation.

Also, read a lot of cyberpunk books, they'll learn you how to "talk" about your universe, and will fill your imagination (btw cyberpunk books are usualy good), for a first read i'd council you Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams, Neuromancer (it's a classic, and easy to find) by William Gibson, Little Heroes by Norman Spinrad (it describe well the urban decay, you can totaly transcribe his vision of the poor blocks of new york to the Night City's combat zone), etc...

Once you'll be "in the mood", and you have your hands on the rules, you can try an "open world" game, it ask a lot more improvisation and preparation, but you'll have a lot more fun, even as a GM (punishing a too-much-curious player is always a nice moment lol), and don't be too much rude, if your player want to do crazy stuff, let them do it, but they'll have to pay the price for it sometimes.

And most important : have fun.
If you're too much awkward as a GM, your game will be, and your player will feel it.
Try to take them in your world, and let them walk inside it, but remind yourself that Cyberpunk 2020's world is a dangerous one

Wow!
Sounds like you have experience for Game Mastering from other games I believe...! :eek:
The books you mentioned, I think I've seen a sourcebook of Hardwired, or possibly mistook for something else... but I have Phil K. Dick's "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" (translated in Finnish) in my bookshelf (Holy bounty hunters! I've forgot to continue reading it when I started it! :eek: ) and I've seen lots of movies about Cyberpunk genre (including anime's of the same genre!)
Some of these movies (and TV series' ) are:
Blade Runner, Mad Max 1-3, Robo Cop 1-3, Ghost in the Shell ("Gits" in short), Akira, "Gits" S.A.C., A.D. Police (recommending to see!), Terminator (all of them), Appleseed, Appleseed Ex Machina, Totall Recall, Cyborg, and the list goes on...
So yes, I have lots of sources... greater challenge would be BUILDING a scenario... ^.^''
Do you have any recommendations of "kickstart" story scenario? From CP2020 book or it's source books...?

Hi Kyberpunkki!

You can post an add to this forum http://www.pelilauta.fi/. I think this is the most active RPG forum in Finland at the moment.

Terve Ikirouta!

Nice to see a Finnish Cyberpunk!
And thanks for the hint, maybe I could suggest / challenge someone to create a scenario for next "Ropecon" or "Tracon".
At least I'm planning on going for Tracon... as I was in there last year looking for other Cyberpunks (while wearing a leather trenchcoat, a fedora, sunglasses and a gasmask...) Ropecon might be more obvious conference for Cyberpunks... (duh, it's roleplayers' "con"!)
But anyway, Thanks for the hint! ;)

Wow!
Sounds like you have experience for Game Mastering from other games I believe...! :eek:
The books you mentioned, I think I've seen a sourcebook of Hardwired, or possibly mistook for something else... but I have Phil K. Dick's "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" (translated in Finnish) in my bookshelf (Holy bounty hunters! I've forgot to continue reading it when I started it! :eek: ) and I've seen lots of movies about Cyberpunk genre (including anime's of the same genre!)
Some of these movies (and TV series' ) are:
Blade Runner, Mad Max 1-3, Robo Cop 1-3, Ghost in the Shell ("Gits" in short), Akira, "Gits" S.A.C., A.D. Police (recommending to see!), Terminator (all of them), Appleseed, Appleseed Ex Machina, Totall Recall, Cyborg, and the list goes on...
So yes, I have lots of sources... greater challenge would be BUILDING a scenario... ^.^''
Do you have any recommendations of "kickstart" story scenario? From CP2020 book or it's source books...?

Haha, not that much, I just played 2 or 3 times Dungeon & Dragon back then, but it just basicaly showed me how to master a game (it's not that much hard, if you have some imagination and feel good with the people you play with)
For a kickstart story scenario, there are plenty in the cyberpunk books (Hardwired is also a CP2020 side-book, based on the book by Walter Jon Williams), it all depend on your tastes story-wise, on the people you play with, and how a given story can inspire you.
You have some good basis with the movie you cited, keep on looking and inspiring yourself from everything you can (news, book, comics, TV, etc...)

Honnestly, the simplier the better, I've tried to do some overly-paranoid-plot, with a lot of twists, etc...
but it never ended really the way I intended it, always having to improvising a new route so my story won't be screwed.

One of the latest "not-so-bad / paranoid" plot i can think of was (to gives you an idea, even if i'm not really James Cameron when it comes to scenario lol):

An inside job in Petrochem, where the vice-president wanted to kill his boss to take his place as Petrochem's president, so during a time, there were a said "terrorist" group, harassing different corporations (all driven by the Petrochem vice-president), to cause havoc in Night City, and since they striked everywhere, no one would notice it was an inside job from petrochem.

One night, one of my player, a corporate newbies at Arasaka corporation, a white collar, had a mission by one of his boss (an petrochem's industrial spy inside arasaka), "Find a bunch of punks, and kidnap the professor XXXX in Petrochem, they'll earn 50 000$ each *giving him a wallet filled with money*", so he walked around in town, found the other players siting in a dark corner of a bar, he started to talk to them (they tried to piss him off lol), but when he said them that he could pay them 50 000$ each for the job, they all agreed, he drived them to Petrochem labs, strangely no one there, except two guards almost asleep (wich our she-netrunner tried to seduce... because other players hadn't enought discretion to pass throught them), i rolled a random "meet" for the corporate who waited in the car, and since cyberpunk is driven by the god of dices roll, a bunch of journalists came toward him to interview him about the awesome songs he make over his free time:

(his character was Jean-Pierre Sauser, a crappy singer from our country lol)

He failed all his roll, so they sticked him, and he was like "Oh my god, what am i gonna do when they will get back with the old-man?", so the other players found the old man pretty easily (too much?), get back to the entrance, and found the whole crowd of journalists around Jean-Pierre's car, two of them pushed the old man in the back-seat, and two others punched the journalists (a cop and a retarded-fixer, our "A-team" lol), the corporate gived them their money, and drove back to Arasaka to give the old man to his boss, wich connected the Dr on a cyberconsole and the old-man falled dead on the ground, then a bunch of buffed body guard took our corporate player and throwed him outside of the building like a pile of crap.
"What are you going to do now?" (other players were buying stuff)
He gets back home...

"Ok, now roll a dice on your luck...."
"Why?"
"Just do it :p"
"2, i'm in"

Ok, so his apartement exploded, he was pushed away as the front door flyed toward him, woke up of his shock a few minutes later to see his appartement in flames, he was like "come on dude, it's my first game and you tried to kill me"... "well, it's the game" (he never tried to check why or who or whatever), so he called back the other punks, "Is it you who tried to kill me?" , of course not, they were all busy spending their money...

He joined them, every players found an abandonned warehouse to sleep, excepted our Fixer and our Corporate, who started to roam around the combat zone, beating wanabe-gangster, stealing their drug, and started to drug themselves, our Corporate remembered that the media-crew filmed them, the Corporate were firend with the police chief, so the police chief lend them some assault rifle and cool-looking space-suits (don't ask me why, they wanted cool space suits...) so they entered in Net 54, found the edition's room and killed almost all the journalist before throwing a bunch of molotov cocktails (all of this, being high as hell), getting downstair and having a car-chase with the police (wich they won luckily for them, so close of an awful death)

but tomorrow they realised the mess they put themselves in, the money was traced by some nanotech engraved in the bills, so Arasaka can follow them (the Dr was an old arasaka employee, and they've gone after them, my player's boss removed his image from the guard-camera, and pulled our punks instead, so the news of his death were everywhere).
They were waked up in the middle of an industrial zone by a bunch of AV9, filled with troops, and ready to fight, they flew away, or at least, tried, they were captured, and used as guinea pig for Arasaka's research (you can addict them to a drug at this point, or just play with their nerves), then a squad attacked the lab (Petrochem vice-president's deathsquad), freed the punks, and took them to Petrochem headquarter

The vice-president told them "ok, we know who have done this, it's a new corporation, using terrrorists tactics to take market over other corporation, we don't want a new corporative war, so go to crystal palace, and kill that corporation president", as usual, they didn't tried to check if the guy said the truth or not (they always think i'm lying to them when i don't, it's pretty funny), so they gone to crystal palace (tickets payed by petrochem), bought a lot of stuff (blocked on crystal palace, they never could get those back on earth, they could have, but Petrochem plot was to not let them get anything back on earth), so they checked the place, meet Mr Cuningham, who told them what they had to know, then they've gone to see the President of that mysterious corporation, talking him about how they found a cure to an unsolvable disease (lucky enought, they had a medtechie who could play the role), so the medtechie has gone to see him with a another player (our crooked cop), killed him as petrochem squad striked too and killed everyone in the house (i planned that they hadn't any logo on their uniform, but they didn't even took time to check it), the thought it was Petrochem who came to help them (anyway, it's what Cuningham told them), so everything ends good...
...until they get back on earth, driving back to Night City, turned on the TV in the automated taxi-cab, and saw that Petrochem's president was killed last night on Crystal Palace, that the new President (ex vice-president of course) had a speech to do:

"We know who those terrorists are, here is their picture *show our punks pictures*, we'll never negociate with them, I ask to every police force as private force to make them pay for all their crimes, and show they how much we hate those kind of behaving in this free state".

Now, they had to prove they were innocent, excepted that our fixer started to shoot at the first officier who told them to stop, psychosquad caught them...shot them, they bleeded to death.
Bye bye, end of the game.

It was pretty cool, but it's tought to make a game like this, if one of your player starts to step outside of your "scenario", and out-think you, it can ruin everything you build (so try to think about everything, even the most retarded idea).
But it's a great exemple about how you can make a whole plot around something simple (vice president wanting to take the place of his boss), by driving your players paranoid, and making their live a living hell, it ask a lot of improvisation sometimes, and the risk with it is that you can confuse yourself if you don't think "ahead" enough, but if you prepare well your scenario, it's a good thrilling ride for your players.

Talking about retarded idea from your players...

If you prefer funny games, and don't want to think too much before your game, you can check the basic pre-made scenario, like the one in the reference book, etc...
like "a new combat drug roam the street, police have found a lot of mutilated corpse, that drug make people ultra-violent, your mission is to try to find the secret drug-labs" (in Protect & Serve).

The main character was the cops, and our retarded-fixer, his "side-kick", but as simple as it sound, it was maybe one of our funiest game ever, everything was pure improvisation, them as me.
They played the mission quite well, until they need to sleep somewhere, because they had a meeting with a guy next day, our cop said "i don't know, let find a coffin, i don't want to spend money in a hotel", then the Fixer "Yeah, fuck that, let's go in people house, kill them and spend the night there".

They lured a guy thinking it was a police control, so he opened his door.
They made the guy choke on our Fixer's Mr Studd implant (need to explain? lol), trapped the mom and her two kids in a bathroom, tied the mom (our fixer has sever mental-disorder since he killed his girlfriend, wich he still love, so since he failed his roll, he saw his girlfriend's face on the mom and beat her down untill she couldn't move), gived drugs to kids, and a weapon each (a secator for the kid under synthcoke and a knife for the one under the combat-drug, to see if it was actually effective), they started to take bet on wich one would win the fight (50$ on the winner), and the "synthcoke" one, armed with a secator won the game, killing his brother and her mother, they had a good laugh and throwed him throught the window, then the next morning the crooked cop called the cops about a looting who've turned wrong, they wrote the name of another of our players with blood on a wall, leaved the place, and returned to their mission.

Of course, they had a lot of trouble latter because of that... just let them the time to forget about it haha.

When your players starts to play their role and "take the story" to a new level, it's almost as satisfying than spending hours scratching your head over a paranoid plot, as nasty as it sound, it was hella fun, because each idea was more "in-character" than the previous, the crooked nihilist cop and his side-kick the psychotic-crust-punk-bum-fixer.

You know, it's just a matter of what mood you're into and what you want to play, no need to be over experimented, just let it flow :).
Don't forget to add a lot of random meetings, random events, etc...
The streets have to be dangerous, they have to fight their way to their objective, i didn't wrote every fight in my plots up there, but there were plenty.

As I said, check all the pre-made scenario, it will probably gives you a lot of good idea, don't try to "write" it down too much, just note a bunch of idea about a given scenario, prepare a few NPC, leave a certain place for improvisation (it's usefull, maybe more in some case than a good scenario), and think about the whole story you want to tell, how should it start, where should it go, and what have to happend to your players, don't be scared to be a sadist, they'll deserve it sometimes, and some other times it'll help them to be more convicted about what they have to do.

There is no "secret cheat code" to make a good scenario, you'll just have to find a basic one you like, and turn it in every angle to add twists and make it the more "paranoid" you can, their friend have to be their enemy, vice versa, even themselves have to be their own enemies.
It's cyberpunk, so act like a punk!

the main word in cyberpunk is:
you can trust no one. (not even yourself.)

Interesting!
Is this so called "RPG forum" where you act "In Character"?
If it is, I might join up. Thank you! ;)

well that board is just a jumping off point. near the top of the page is a link to our general chat, where you'll find a handful of us at most any hour of the day
http://us12.chatzy.com/53846271793008
from there GM's will come by as time allows and run jobs for us. also players are allowed (and encouraged) to do player only RP sessions when no GM is around. games are run in chat, not via the board (play by post is so damn slow).

Moi Kyberpunkki!

True, RopeCon is bigger and thus there is a better chance to find a CP2020 game. Still, I am not sure how big the chance is nowadays as the game is pretty old and it has been pretty long since any new material was released.. The closest I have noticed was one Shadowrun game and that was long time ago. I have not been at TraCon so I don't know much about it.

The Hardwired is translated as "Rautahermot" in Finnish. The sourcebook is also written by Walter Jon Williams, same person who wrote the original novel of the same name. I think the sourcebook was written for an older version of the game (Cyberpunk 2013) but as the two editions are highly compatible I don't see why they wouldn't work together. In fact I just yesterday found my copy of that book :)

I suppose you and your friends have not played any RPGs before. Am I right? As CP2020 is pretty simple as game system goes, it is an excellent choice for the new group. In fact I introduced one newbie to RPGs with that system. Still, keep it simple. Although paranoia and betrayal are all essential for cyberpunk don't shove those to your players' faces immediately. If you decide to include those elements even to your first scenario, you can hold back revealing it. Maybe this gets evident only later in the campaign?

Start with simple scenarios and feel free to limit the choice of roles to appropriate ones. What roles (solo, suit, media etc.) are appropriate depends on what kind of scenario you want to write. If you want to use some sort of covert ops type approach then I wouldn't allow media or rockers to such a team (unless media is under cover trying to get the scoop). I think you will get the point.

Life Path is a great way to generate background to characters but use common sense when applying the results. That background can generate a lot of scenario hooks to be used instead of just using this old "you are hired to do some job". Having said that, hiring works too especially if these are your first scenarios ever.

Maybe your characters are hired to take out a drug dealer or to steal some data from a corporate representative that is at business trip visiting the city where the game is set. Maybe the team is hired to kidnap someone or rescue someone? Media is filled with stories, real and imagined that can be used as a basis for cyberpunk scenario or even a whole campaign. Personally I am using Strike Back (that aired some time ago in Finland) as a loose idea for my next campaign but that will use my own setting and pretty heavily modified rules.

Ruleswise try and learn the rules as well as possible. I suggest that you generate some characters as practice and the same time you end up with some characters that can be used in a game. If possible, try and get one or two of your friends to gather for a one shot scenario with some skill checks and some combat. Make it clear that this is just practice and if everything doesn't go smoothly, don't sweat :)

well that board is just a jumping off point. near the top of the page is a link to our general chat, where you'll find a handful of us at most any hour of the day
http://us12.chatzy.com/53846271793008
from there GM's will come by as time allows and run jobs for us. also players are allowed (and encouraged) to do player only RP sessions when no GM is around. games are run in chat, not via the board (play by post is so damn slow).

Talking about retarded idea from your players...

If you prefer funny games, and don't want to think too much before your game, you can check the basic pre-made scenario, like the one in the reference book, etc...
like "a new combat drug roam the street, police have found a lot of mutilated corpse, that drug make people ultra-violent, your mission is to try to find the secret drug-labs" (in Protect & Serve).

The main character was the cops, and our retarded-fixer, his "side-kick", but as simple as it sound, it was maybe one of our funiest game ever, everything was pure improvisation, them as me.
They played the mission quite well, until they need to sleep somewhere, because they had a meeting with a guy next day, our cop said "i don't know, let find a coffin, i don't want to spend money in a hotel", then the Fixer "Yeah, fuck that, let's go in people house, kill them and spend the night there".

They lured a guy thinking it was a police control, so he opened his door.
They made the guy choke on our Fixer's Mr Studd implant (need to explain? lol), trapped the mom and her two kids in a bathroom, tied the mom (our fixer has sever mental-disorder since he killed his girlfriend, wich he still love, so since he failed his roll, he saw his girlfriend's face on the mom and beat her down untill she couldn't move), gived drugs to kids, and a weapon each (a secator for the kid under synthcoke and a knife for the one under the combat-drug, to see if it was actually effective), they started to take bet on wich one would win the fight (50$ on the winner), and the "synthcoke" one, armed with a secator won the game, killing his brother and her mother, they had a good laugh and throwed him throught the window, then the next morning the crooked cop called the cops about a looting who've turned wrong, they wrote the name of another of our players with blood on a wall, leaved the place, and returned to their mission.

Of course, they had a lot of trouble latter because of that... just let them the time to forget about it haha.

When your players starts to play their role and "take the story" to a new level, it's almost as satisfying than spending hours scratching your head over a paranoid plot, as nasty as it sound, it was hella fun, because each idea was more "in-character" than the previous, the crooked nihilist cop and his side-kick the psychotic-crust-punk-bum-fixer.

You know, it's just a matter of what mood you're into and what you want to play, no need to be over experimented, just let it flow :).
Don't forget to add a lot of random meetings, random events, etc...
The streets have to be dangerous, they have to fight their way to their objective, i didn't wrote every fight in my plots up there, but there were plenty.

As I said, check all the pre-made scenario, it will probably gives you a lot of good idea, don't try to "write" it down too much, just note a bunch of idea about a given scenario, prepare a few NPC, leave a certain place for improvisation (it's usefull, maybe more in some case than a good scenario), and think about the whole story you want to tell, how should it start, where should it go, and what have to happend to your players, don't be scared to be a sadist, they'll deserve it sometimes, and some other times it'll help them to be more convicted about what they have to do.

There is no "secret cheat code" to make a good scenario, you'll just have to find a basic one you like, and turn it in every angle to add twists and make it the more "paranoid" you can, their friend have to be their enemy, vice versa, even themselves have to be their own enemies.
It's cyberpunk, so act like a punk!

the main word in cyberpunk is:
you can trust no one. (not even yourself.)

lol :D
That sounded fun!
Thanks for tips! ;)

Moi Kyberpunkki!

True, RopeCon is bigger and thus there is a better chance to find a CP2020 game. Still, I am not sure how big the chance is nowadays as the game is pretty old and it has been pretty long since any new material was released.. The closest I have noticed was one Shadowrun game and that was long time ago. I have not been at TraCon so I don't know much about it.

The Hardwired is translated as "Rautahermot" in Finnish. The sourcebook is also written by Walter Jon Williams, same person who wrote the original novel of the same name. I think the sourcebook was written for an older version of the game (Cyberpunk 2013) but as the two editions are highly compatible I don't see why they wouldn't work together. In fact I just yesterday found my copy of that book :)

I suppose you and your friends have not played any RPGs before. Am I right? As CP2020 is pretty simple as game system goes, it is an excellent choice for the new group. In fact I introduced one newbie to RPGs with that system. Still, keep it simple. Although paranoia and betrayal are all essential for cyberpunk don't shove those to your players' faces immediately. If you decide to include those elements even to your first scenario, you can hold back revealing it. Maybe this gets evident only later in the campaign?

Start with simple scenarios and feel free to limit the choice of roles to appropriate ones. What roles (solo, suit, media etc.) are appropriate depends on what kind of scenario you want to write. If you want to use some sort of covert ops type approach then I wouldn't allow media or rockers to such a team (unless media is under cover trying to get the scoop). I think you will get the point.

Life Path is a great way to generate background to characters but use common sense when applying the results. That background can generate a lot of scenario hooks to be used instead of just using this old "you are hired to do some job". Having said that, hiring works too especially if these are your first scenarios ever.

Maybe your characters are hired to take out a drug dealer or to steal some data from a corporate representative that is at business trip visiting the city where the game is set. Maybe the team is hired to kidnap someone or rescue someone? Media is filled with stories, real and imagined that can be used as a basis for cyberpunk scenario or even a whole campaign. Personally I am using Strike Back (that aired some time ago in Finland) as a loose idea for my next campaign but that will use my own setting and pretty heavily modified rules.

Ruleswise try and learn the rules as well as possible. I suggest that you generate some characters as practice and the same time you end up with some characters that can be used in a game. If possible, try and get one or two of your friends to gather for a one shot scenario with some skill checks and some combat. Make it clear that this is just practice and if everything doesn't go smoothly, don't sweat :)

Thanks for the tips!
Did you say, "Rautahermot?"
I saw that in my nearest City's "Fantasy Games" store!
Yeah, you heard right, a rare Finnish translated relic licensed by "Finnish Game/Book House" and yet still wrapped in plastic (aka. "Mint in the box").
I remember for seeing also Finnish CP2020 GM datacover, and Finnish translated version of "When gravity falls" sourcebook.

Yes, Rautahermot is the translated title for Hardwired. There is this novel and sourcebook both of the same name and by the same author. I really liked the book when I read it long time ago.

Top Bottom