Thief 4

+
Dishonored was made by the veterans, after all. I may be 'meh' about the game as a whole, but the levels and exploration were amazing. (And still had nothing on the classic Thief, I might add.)

I'd consider Thief purely for the atmosphere and horror aspects (yaay!) shown in the launch trailer, but then there are things like Garrett's new voice (anyone else hearing bits of Adam Jensen voice direction?), camera that would likely trigger my simulation sickness, gothy character design (...seriously?) and a high chance of the story being terrible.

Tsk, I only care because the classic games are amazing. :/

Last edited:
[video=youtube;-AUg-UTIIbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AUg-UTIIbI[/video]

Not sure how I feel about this. :|

It looks like it has some of the old Thief in it, but you're right. There's a 50/50 chance that it will be good or bad. I personally will have to see more footage before I make up my mind to get it.

Ok, it perhaps going to be a solid game (even though that stupid AI, oh god, no progress whatsoever in AI in the last 10 years), but a bad Thief game

Ok, it perhaps going to be a solid game (even though that stupid AI, oh god, no progress whatsoever in AI in the last 10 years), but a bad Thief game

I dont know about that.... I watched a a developer's walkthrough the other day and the higher difficulty (there would be 4 levels) seemed preeetty chalenging...
Also, the difference in level design with Dishonored might come from the fact that this seems to be a larger game world, me-thinks.

Im still cautious about it, :hmm:but the voice work is not dreadfull... (though the "mandatory" female side-kick kind of make my eyes roll).
So if the story is not terrible, I might get it when the prize drops (maybe after Witcher 3 gets out...:p).

I still think that the change in setting (from the original dark medieval to a strange mesh of Rennaisance/Victorian world) is for the worse and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered on sale and am -quite- looking forward to it. Replaying some Deadly Shadows right now. Available on GoG you know: http://www.gog.com/game/thief_3

That said, I figure even a poor game beats no game. I didn't really enjoy Hitman Absolution a whole lot, but it was better than no HItman and the next one should be lesson learned.

I don't see how the skill of the player has anything to do with the game's lack of Garrett jumping ability [!!], general poor A.I. [I've seen a housewife in one of the early levels get beaten from the shadows and not even know what was happening], rope arrows [which you could fire at anything wooden in previous Thief games] now being context sensitive and so on. From what I've seen so far it really doesn't look too good.

Last edited:
I agree with you and Costin Luxorek, it's clearly not a Thief game anymore and the trailers have fairly blatantly said that the old fans can fuck off, which I shall do and just play real Garret (Stephen Russel) in the large well designed levels of Thief 1 & 2, rather than this boringly monotone stuntman. Whether it's a good game on its own or not is something i'll never know, but I have to agree that most Youtube let's players would need both hands and a map tattoo'd on their thigh to wipe their own arses. The amazing popularity of that PewdiePie springs to mind.

The cat is out of the bag gentleman. 6.8 from IGN [!!! what happened here hahah], 6.0 from Gamespot, 6 from Polygon, NO from Kotaku and generally speaking mixed reviews [with a surprising 7 from Edge]. So much for the "shit players", right @Costin ?

Last edited:
Well... reviews are coming in...
[video]http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/thief-review/1900-6415675/[/video]

Not that I would believe every word that comes out of any Gamespot's reviewers' lying mouths, :p but clunky gameplay and story bellow par..? I think I'll stay clear out of this one thanks, at least for this year.
THESE lines from Kotaku just cracked me up...
As they go about their patrols, guards repeat the same few lines of dialogue to the point of inadvertent self-parody. Thief contains a very small amount of overheard guard dialogue, yet many of those lines have been recorded multiple times and attached to different guards in different areas.

You might be surprised at how many different ways there are to say "You can smell the river from here." "You can SMELL the river from here," says one guard, surprised that you can do more than taste and feel it. "You can smell the RIVER from here," muses another, later, apparently impressed that of all the things you can smell from here, the river is one of them. "You can smell the river from HERE," mutters a third, reflecting on the fact that the river can be smelled even from this great distance. I heard this line of dialogue in just about every area in the game; apparently you can smell the river from pretty much anywhere.

And as Bloth so clearly pointed out, we'll always have the originals Thief and Thief 2, thanks to GoG...

Last edited:
So much for the "shit players", right @Costin ?

My point still stands you know. Judging a game based on the experiences of terrible fucking players is not a proper way of doing stuff.

Not that review sites like IGN or gamespot are any better. Wait until they give DA:I and Titanfall 9/10 or 10/10

Watching that TB Thi4f video you can see what Costin means, oh look i'll pick this lock without putting out this torch right beside it, immediately after explaining that staying in the dark is important.

Edit: But generally yeah game looks like a right abortion, sweet, sweet schadenfraude.

Last edited:
Or not. RPS, huge fans of Thief series, like it.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/

" I’ve done nothing but play Thief for three days in order to be able to tell you wot I think:

Oh thank God. It’s good.
While there’s going to be controversy, I’m arguing that it’s better than good. Thief, Eidos Montreal’s reviving of Looking Glass’s insurmountable series, is a superb game."

Top Bottom