Vampires in Witcher series

+
Vampires in Witcher series

I've recently reread the Saga. Again.
And I want to talk about vampires. Again.

In "Baptism of Fire" there is an abstract describing ALL vampires in the Witcherworld. It is clearly stated that the speaker (Regis) is very knowledgeable in this topic.

Vampires are:

- higher vampire (as Regis and Lady of the Night) +
- alp +
- katakan
- moola
- bruxa +
- nosferat
- fleder +
- ekimma.

Look them up in WitcherWiki: http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Vampire

We seriously need those not featured in W1-2. No vampire art was shown by the devs so far, that's why we can only fantasize about what we will see in-game.

Those vampires, marked with +, are featured in games. So, we didn't see katakan, moola, nosferat and ekimma. First 3 are high vampyres, meaning they can hypnotize, transform into something vaguely human and scream. Ekimma is closer to fleders, it can't transform, is stronger, can scream. In-game garkain is probably ekimma.
Logically, katakan and nosferat are male-looking (because alp and bruxa are female-looking).
Moola in my language sounds feminine. Personally, I can't forget some illustrations I've seen some time ago. I want to share them with forum members. Here's the link: http://www.sapkowski.su/modules.php?name=Gallery&pg=ViewPic&id=293&cid=41

It's an illustration and author's interpretation of Moola. Full album is here: http://www.sapkowski.su/modules.php?name=Gallery&pg=Show&id=41&page=1
It's a very neat idea. Moola has 2 forms: a small girl and a cat-like creature. It lures victims, hypnotizing them, pretending to be an innocent child caught in a trap in the center of the forest. This interpretation gives so many possibilities for quests, pity it will never be used.

So far we've seen only 2 unique monsters: Fiend and Leshen. Dear CDPR, we, fans, need something to talk about. Show us some gorgeous vampires!

Let's share some interesting vampire art or vampire lore ideas while we are waiting.

So far we've seen only 2 unique monsters: Fiend and Leshen.

Don't forget the ice giant as well.

I believe vampires need to be fleshed out though. Bruxae were practically wraiths in TW2 which was disappointing for me but the alps and fleders from TW1 were portrayed well imo. I'd definitely like to see the vampires that haven't been shown yet, especially if there's a quest that requires you to hunt a powerful one.

You can also have a look at this picture that was released for the 6 year anniversary:

Yep, vampires are cool. If I'll have some free time, I'll send to wiki some pictures of them from old PnP RPG Witcher game.

As much as I loved the monsters in Witcher 2, I loved the variety of monsters in Witcher 1. We had echinops AND archespore. Ghoul, alghoul, cemetaur and graveir. Different types of kikimores, and vodyanoy. Drowner and drowned dead. Cockatrice and basilisk. Wyvern and Royal wyvern. And of course the various vampires such as fleder, garkain, alp, bruxa.
The question is, among those 80 monsters promised by the devs, which will be in the game? And how many of them will be vampires? How fun it would be if the CDPR posted an image of some never seen monsters of Witcher 3 here. Just for fun. Just to help us witchers to dream away for a spell. Come on devs, can't you throw us a bone? :rolleyes:

I love Fleders. :) True variety in TW1 was great and I felt some of them more exciting. Let's hope, we get all old ones and new ones as well. :)

I am just fine with cdpr not showing me anymore monsters. I want to be surprised when I play it.
I hate game trailers or movies that show to much and give it all away, it just fucks it all up man.

Last edited:
Don't forget the ice giant as well.

I believe vampires need to be fleshed out though. Bruxae were practically wraiths in TW2 which was disappointing for me but the alps and fleders from TW1 were portrayed well imo. I'd definitely like to see the vampires that haven't been shown yet, especially if there's a quest that requires you to hunt a powerful one.

Yes! Ice giant! It was so long ago, I forgot about him.
Talking about bruxa, I didn't understand they were bruxa...

(
Yep, vampires are cool. If I'll have some free time, I'll send to wiki some pictures of them from old PnP RPG Witcher game.

You are talking about these pics?
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Wiedźmin:_Gra_Wyobraźni_images
(It's old wiki site)

Actually, I've seen them in real life, I had a friend in university who was a Witcher fan (I was not at that time). He shown me the game but I was not interested. But I liked illustrations. This is my favorite:
View attachment 2358
It's hydra. Such a cutie!

And this one is really scary for me:
View attachment 2359
Is it a Rat King? Or mutated rat?

The only vampire-looking thing is this one:
View attachment 2360
Actually, they are blood-sucking bats. Or they transform into something?

Attachments

• Hydra_RPG.jpg
    Hydra_RPG.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Pseudoszczur_RPG.jpg
    Pseudoszczur_RPG.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Wespertyl.jpg
    Wespertyl.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 166
How fun it would be if the CDPR posted an image of some never seen monsters of Witcher 3 here. Just for fun. Just to help us witchers to dream away for a spell. Come on devs, can't you throw us a bone? :rolleyes:

They MUST give us SOMETHING.
It's almost a year of waiting...

I love Fleders. :)

Absence of fleders in W2 was one of my major disappointments. I was waiting for them to jump on Geralt for the three chapters. I patiently searched every possible fleder's hiding spots. There were none. And when title "Epiloque" appeared on-screen, I understood that there would be no fleders in W2...

I am just fine with cdpr not showing me anymore monsters. I want to be surprised when I play it.

I'm with you on the topic of trailers being made spoilers-free as much as possible. I'm for giving parts of new stuff with spoiler tags and warnings for people who want to know as little as possible.
Regis should make an appearance :) Some other high vampires would be interesting too (since they are rare).

Regis is dead.
But!
Nothing prevents CDPR from showing him in flash-backs. Geralt remembers everything now, so from time to time, sitting near fire and drinking White Gull, he can remember his deceased friends. Small thing, but so awaited fan-service.

I hate game trailers or movies that show to much and give it all away, it just fucks it all up man.

Showing us too much, yes, I agree. Like trailers showing images from the movie one second before the antagonists die or something.

But showing us a little something something...no that's fine with me. :lol:

And this one is really scary for me:
View attachment 2359
Is it a Rat King? Or mutated rat?
It's pseudorat. Indeed, look's scary ;)
The only vampire-looking thing is this one:
View attachment 2360
Actually, they are blood-sucking bats. Or they transform into something?
It isn't vampire race - it's vespertyl.

But there aren't all images - some vampires from my PDF:
Bruxa
View attachment 2364

Alp
View attachment 2365

Fleder
View attachment 2366

Nosferat
View attachment 2367

Curiosity - Nosferat is described as the most powerfull vampire. He/she is inhumanly fast, intelligent and crafty. Its supernatural abilities can unsettle even the witcher. It has a great resistance to high temperatures - it can be burned only by magical fire. He can take the form of a bat, become invisible, charm and put to sleep with the hypnotic eyes; some nosferats are also able to take the form of mist and squeeze through narrow gaps during the full moon.

Almost like Regis...

Attachments

• Bruxa rpg.jpg
    Bruxa rpg.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Alp rpg.jpg
    Alp rpg.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 75
  • Fleder rpg.jpg
    Fleder rpg.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Nosferat rpg.jpg
    Nosferat rpg.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 78
It's pseudorat. Indeed, look's scary ;)

So, "Pseudoszczur" was this creature's name, I didn't get it, I thought it was description. It doesn't sound like a monster's name;) The same in my language - Псевдощур ;) Funny word, ugly critter.

It isn't vampire race - it's vespertyl.

Yes, I remember this episode in books. Probably, they were translated something different.

But there aren't all images - some vampires from my PDF:

A! So, there were more than 1 game edition.
Thank you very much, great illustrations.
Funny, how CDPR opted for different approach to alps and bruxa - in PnP game bruxa looks more animalistic and alp more human-like, but in W1 it's vice versa.

Curiosity - Nosferat is described as the most powerfull vampire. He/she is inhumanly fast, intelligent and crafty. Its supernatural abilities can unsettle even the witcher. It has a great resistance to high temperatures - it can be burned only by magical fire. He can take the form of a bat, become invisible, charm and put to sleep with the hypnotic eyes; some nosferats are also able to take the form of mist and squeeze through narrow gaps during the full moon.

Almost like Regis...

So, what if nosferat is Regis's type of a vampire?
I understood from books that Regis and his mates he was "drinking" with, were a separate subspecies of vampires. Like most everything in Sapkowski's books, it's not explained clearly in details, leaving too much for imagination.
By the sounding of it's name nosferat must be male-looking. Remember that old b&w movie? Nosferatu:
View attachment 2379
Well, makers of the PnP game decided to make it a woman vampire.

Thanks a lot, it was very interesting!

Attachments

• NosferatuShadow.jpg
    NosferatuShadow.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 69
So, "Pseudoszczur" was this creature's name, I didn't get it, I thought it was description. It doesn't sound like a monster's name;) The same in my language - Псевдощур ;) Funny word, ugly critter.
Indeed :)

A! So, there were more than 1 game edition.
There were only first edition (2nd was newer released - problems between authors...). But maybe your version have cutted some pages? :question:

So, what if nosferat is Regis's type of a vampire?
Probably not. Some sentences exclude that theory - but it was popular concept on old forum of this game. "Czy Regis był Nosferatem?" ("Did Regis was a Nosferat?") thread had many of pages...

By the sounding of it's name nosferat must be male-looking. Remember that old b&w movie? Nosferatu:
View attachment 2379
Well, makers of the PnP game decided to make it a woman vampire.
There are male and female nosferats - like humans, dwarves or elves ;)

Thanks a lot, it was very interesting!
You're welcome ;)

Top Bottom