Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know does GoG has some sort of download speed limiter? I get only 9.7 MB/s and it just doesn't go any higher on that website

There is one in settings, but it's unticked by default I think.

Other than that, I don't know if GOG puts a limit on download speeds themselves.

With flight 370 I've seen amazing media stupidity as they seek to milk the story...but a CNN reporter calling the possibility of a BLACK HOLE sucking in the air plane just had me facepalming for over a minute.

With flight 370 I've seen amazing media stupidity as they seek to milk the story...but a CNN reporter calling the possibility of a BLACK HOLE sucking in the air plane just had me facepalming for over a minute.

I'm sure FOX News will come out with some paranoid nonsense of equal stupidity soon. To be honest though, I don't pay much attention to American media because most of the stuff they put out is utter shit!

@Costin; My sympathies to you & yours, I hope its already reached the extent to which you are all troubled by this. I'd also echo Guys' sage advice.
@knightofphoenix; Welcome back again, tell me this... if Science is the process of turning coffee into equations, what's it's Poli-Sci equivalent ?

So, is anyone up for pics of your local areas?

A solid idea gets you the rp... but, I mean, like... cities? Especially our dreary lot as you know, but most are pretty ugly, apart from the occasional grand architecture. And am I the only person who thinks raising statues of an army roadblock is utterly crass? I've no problem with a tasteful commemoration but that effort is an omnishambles, due to it's serious nature it probably won't even be given a humorous streetname, which is usually the best thing about such street decos, helps them become a part of the locations atmosphere and not simply an obstacle.

Contrast with the Frank "Defibrillator" Pantridge bronze also in Lisburn, now thats the way to do it. You can see from how its designed, where it's placed, that the opportunity for those whom that man has saved to enter the scene for photos was part of the intention. Similar photo opportunities at the roadblock would necessitate the invention of a new word for far beyond crass, oh wait there is... Omnishambles !

But come back with some old castles & antiquities, of which we have many crackers, they'd go down well here I imagine, in lieu of TW3 screenies. :)

View attachment 2532

I can relate man.. as I have ADD myself. My father has it so It's genetical. Never been to a doctor with it though.
Something everyone should understand about psychoanalysis, you should not equate medical diagnosis with psychiatric diagnosis, their process is in fact quite different, so different that it leads many Scientists to consider it an institutionalised pseudoscience.

Think of it this way: you present to a hospital with a cough - that's your symptom - the doc doesn't simply assume you've got a cold, he performs scientifically proven tests on some bodily fluids to determine the cause. This is empirical evidence. The results & interpretations are standard across the medical world. We can have some faith in these procedures.

A psychoanalyst looks at the symptoms you present and finds the prevailing theory of mental disorder that matches it. Job done, dispense hardcore mind-altering drugs, even to young not yet fully developed minds (now theres feckin' insanity for ya), kaching & next "patient" please. No other scientific discipline would accept this situation. No real data behind any of these so called mental illnesses, certainly absolutely no proof of genetic disposition or inheritance. Just be wary mate, its a complex subject to investigate yourself, though not impossible, but realise its all still very much open for debate among those in the know. Think about what you're being told, and if there could possibly be another reason or method to address it, do you really want a script for life?

Had a brief look for a Ted Talk from years ago, unfortunately can't put my hands on it now, but among other revelations he produced statistics showing that the majority of humanity can be diagnosed with something considered a mental illness. The MAJORITY... and the way stats work normally that would make that group the normal natural state, and the so called "well adjusted" the crazies. :p

damn... just as well we're in a pub...

Attachments

• 640px-Statue_of_Frank_Pantridge.JPG
    640px-Statue_of_Frank_Pantridge.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 32
I'd take pictures of Dungannon, which is where I'm from, but I don't think endless walls of uninhabited shops would make for a good picture! By the way, what part of the country are you from? It's always good to speak to a fellow countryman! :cheers:

Last edited:
@knightofphoenix; Welcome back again, tell me this... if Science is the process of turning coffee into equations, what's it's Poli-Sci equivalent ?

Poli-Sci is the assessment of coffee's impact on political actors in the chosen system of study (international or domestic).
It's also the art of BS, the marketing of ideas, which is quite a useful skill.

Jokes aside, it was a pretty good and useful undergrad, and I am still making use of it in my International Economics Masters. I am forced to anyways, considering the geo-politically oriented subject of my thesis: the study of why Arctic countries adopt a unilateral or multilateral stance with regards to this resource rich region as the ice melt is opening up new possibilities.

I'll essentially have to study the 8 Arctic countries, being Canada, USA, Denmark (via Greenland), Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia in depth, plus the EU and China (and maybe Japan and South Korea), and see what economic, political, military, and geo-strategic factors influence their policy stance.

Arctic politics have become very interesting actually and not that well known. A lot of deals and clever maneuvering is being made. For instance just last year China, a permanent observer in the Arctic council, signed a Free Trade Agreement with Iceland, in a clear desire to secure a foothold in the Arctic. Norway is also quite interesting and for now, seems to be quite cunning in its Arctic policy.

Anyways, sorry I like to gush about my thesis.

Is any of you guys excited for (or know) Age of Wonders III and Wargame: Red Dragon? I'm really excited for those two, plus Galactic Civilization III. It's been a while since I played a good RTS.

Is any of you guys excited for (or know) Age of Wonders III and Wargame: Red Dragon? I'm really excited for those two, plus Galactic Civilization III. It's been a while since I played a good RTS.

I´m particularly excited for Galactic Civilizations III. Age of Wonders III also seems quite interesting, as well. I currently are getting my strategy fix from Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV (and I have Rome TW 2 waiting for me to be tried, let´s see how that goes).

BTW, good luck with your thesis, it does sound damn interesting!

So you've played the previous games in the series? Age of Wonders III should be great and the Wargame series takes the piss on any other grand scale warfare game: That's how you do scale Total War!

The Naval Trailer for Wargame: Red Dragon makes me smile in glee. It's going to be quite something.

Last edited:
Speaking of Ireland, in of my co-workers is there. He left for a Ireland/UK tour about five days ago, six in Ireland and two days each in each state of the UK. Maybe he'll join the nine naked men walking down the road during his leg in Wales.

But hey if you happen to see a middle aged American white guy with a corny sense of humour, kick him and run .and make sure he has my damned tea! :p

Speaking of Ireland, in of my co-workers is there. He left for a Ireland/UK tour about five days ago, six in Ireland and two days each in each state of the UK. Maybe he'll join the nine naked men walking down the road during his leg in Wales.

But hey if you happen to see a middle aged American white guy with a corny sense of humour, kick him and run .and make sure he has my damned tea! :p

I'm sure the tourist shops will kick him in the WALLET before that happens. Fun fact, If Tourist shop workers in Belfast hear an American, they'll look for ANY excuse to double the price to get as much money out of them as possible!:laughing::hrhr:

View from the house...

I need to get some good pictures of the city, that show it the way it really looks rather than the tourist sites. Lots of corrugated tin, lots of garbage.

And regarding "Foreigner Tax", there's a big shop here that sells handicraft items. You get a 70% discount if you're NOT a tourist.

Last edited:
Here's another Friday view of Lisburn. This time the centre of town and shopping centre.
View attachment 2544

View attachment 2545

You're in the Philippines right dragonbird? The weather certainly looks a LOT better than what we're having over here!:)

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, here's the full view of my family's back garden complete with Ciri in the middle of it!
View attachment 2548

Yes I know it's a mess, I keep telling my Dad to clean it up but he goes off in a rant every time I do! :facepalm:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
So you've played the previous games in the series? Age of Wonders III should be great and the Wargame series takes the piss on any other grand scale warfare game: That's how you do scale Total War!

The Naval Trailer for Wargame: Red Dragon makes me smile in glee. It's going to be quite something.

No, I didn't even know they existed actually.

Though I'm glad I'm being introduced to both series with these games. Age of Wonders III adds an RPG element to RTS that I want very much (probably going to go with human rogue on my first run). And previous Wargames didn't have naval and if I understood correctly, Airlandbattle's air units are not as versatile and controllable as Red Dragon.

I am quite impressed with how Red Dragon looks and plays. The idea of ambushing supply lines and cutting off the flow of enemy reinforcements is very appealing to me (it's rare for RTS to allow you to win a battle that "indirectly"). That and of course, playing with Canadian units is something I'm going to enjoy doing.

I've been watching let's plays of the beta for 2 days now. Mostly being annoyed at some incompetence, but it does not seem a too easy game to play, which is good, I miss challenging RTS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom