DirectX 12 reveald at GDC 2014 by Microsoft, AMD, and Nvidia

+
So I got a lot of updates. It's not about DirectX 12 but it is about DirectX.

So Nvidia is working on not only having DirectX 12 to match AMD's Mantle API but to further improve DirectX 11 to get more draw call batches for all of DirectX 11 and every single PC version of video games that support DirectX 11 to get increased performance.

Nvidia is also working on doing this for DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 from what I got from a Nvidia representative yesterday. Whats more is this 337.50 beta driver is also supporting Windows XP 64-bit.

I guess even though Microsoft stopped Windows XP. Nvidia will still be supporting Windows XP and DirectX 9 because this console generation lasted so long so many PC versions of video games run on DirectX 9 and it would be a huge mistake to kill off DirectX 9?

The PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim saw a 25% increase. Right now the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the only DirectX 9 to video game to have this increase with more PC versions of video games that run on DirectX 9 to come in the future. At least according to AndyB from Nvidia. On the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive forums I am also reading PC gamers performance increased for that video game as well and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is also DirectX 9 only.With a bunch of indie video game developers and indie video game development companies busting out a bunch of their own video games that run on DirectX 9.

Here is a list of every single Nvidia graphics cards that is supporting this 337.50 beta driver.

GeForce 700 Series
GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745
GeForce 600 Series
GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 500 Series
GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, GeForce GTX 560 SE, GeForce GTX 560, GeForce GTX 555, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GT 545, GeForce GT 530, GeForce GT 520, GeForce 510
GeForce 400 Series
GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 460 SE v2, GeForce GTX 460 SE, GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTS 450, GeForce GT 440, GeForce GT 430, GeForce GT 420, GeForce 405
GeForce 300 Series
GeForce GT 340, GeForce GT 330, GeForce GT 320, GeForce 315, GeForce 310
GeForce 200 Series
GeForce GTX 295, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTS 240, GeForce GT 230, GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220, GeForce G210, GeForce 210, GeForce 205
GeForce 100 Series
GeForce GT 140, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GT 120, GeForce G100
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX , GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9600 GSO, GeForce 9600 GSO 512, GeForce 9600 GS, GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9500 GS, GeForce 9400 GT, GeForce 9400, GeForce 9300 GS, GeForce 9300 GE, GeForce 9300 SE, GeForce 9300, GeForce 9200, GeForce 9100
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS 512, GeForce 8800 GTS, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, GeForce 8600 GS, GeForce 8500 GT, GeForce 8400 GS, GeForce 8400 SE, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8300 GS, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8200, GeForce 8200 /nForce 730a, GeForce 8100 /nForce 720a
ION (Desktops)
ION
ION LE (Desktops)
ION LE

Poor Mantle it's Dead on Arrival (DoA) and AMD still will support DirectX 12 only on their Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture. AMD seems to be so far behind.

It's why sometime later this year I am going to purchase a Nvidia graphic card and sell my AMD graphic card. AMD is just slow and refuses to support as many graphic cards as they can. I guess. Maybe AMD will announce more stuff before 2014 is over.

However DirectX 12 will only work on DirectX 11 graphic cards from Nvidia. Graphic cards that support DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 DirectX 12 will not work. Nvidia is working on just optimizing DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 to get more performance and draw calls that's it.

Here is the list that Nvidia will support DirectX 9 and DirectX 10. From Cyris a Nvidia representative.

If anyone is interested, tomorrow we will see three new drivers. GRID 335.35, Geforce 337.50 and Linux 337.12 (dated 7th April)

New in GRID 335.35 driver.

These drivers have been tested to work with Amazon G2 instances running NVIDIA GRID
Adds support for GRID SDK 2.3.7. For access to the GRID SDK please visit https://developer.nvidia.com/grid-app-game-streaming.

API Support:

Support for CUDA 5.5
Support for OpenGL 4.3
Support for the Open Computing Language (OpenCL) 1.1
Support for DirectX 9, 10, and 11
Support for GRID SDK 2.3.7 For access to the GRID SDK please visit https://developer.nvidia.com/grid-app-game-streaming.

I look at this situation and think:

AMD: Look at us, we're so cool since we've got this new awesome API that will only run on the best of our hardware! "Cheeky Grin"

"AMD is partying at their victory as the crowds cheer for them until Microsoft slams the doors open and walks in and slaps AMD"

Microsoft: "Laughs" Oh you think you're great? Well here's MY new API. It will be at a comparable level to yours but is not limited to your latest series. So screw off kid. "Punches AMD in the balls."

"AMD falls on the ground, writhing in pain while the crowds start talking with each other and Microsoft until Nvidia goes to the stage and begins pouring gasoline on AMD"

Nvidia: This cunt thinks he's so great with his new API and their supposed support of DirectX 12 on just a few GPUs. Well DX 12 will run on 80% of ours and meanwhile we'll start vastly increasing performance on old DX versions.

"The crowd cheers for Nvidia while a few give some hesitant nods of thanks to Microsoft. Nvidia laughs while they throw a light match on AMD and watch it burn in agony."

Moral of the story? Don't fuck with Microsoft and Nvidia at the same time.

Last edited:
I look at this situation and think:

AMD: Look at us, we're so cool since we've got this new awesome API that will only run on the best of our hardware! "Cheeky Grin"

"AMD is partying at their victory as the crowds cheer for them until Microsoft slams the doors open and walks in and slaps AMD"

Microsoft: "Laughs" Oh you think you're great? Well here's MY new API. It will at a comparable level to yours but is not limited to your latest series. So screw off kid. "Punches AMD in the balls."

"AMD falls on the ground, writhing in pain while the crowds start talking with each other and Microsoft until Nvidia goes to the stage and begins pouring gasoline on AMD"

Nvidia: This cunt thinks he's so great with his new API and their supposed support of DirectX 12 on just a few GPUs. Well DX 12 will run on 80% of ours and meanwhile we'll start vastly increasing performance on old DX versions.

"The crowd cheers for Nvidia while a few give some nods of thanks to Microsoft. Nvidia laughs while they throw a light match on AMD and watch it burn in agony."

Moral of the story? Don't fuck with Microsoft.
Yeah because of this great support from Nvidia. Nvidia is gonna keep their loyal customers for a long time and have people who are on Windows XP who will certainly upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8 and buy Nvidia graphic cards again if they had a DirectX 9 Nvidia graphic card. Or a AMD graphic card and see Nvidia supports more.

Nvidia truly do care about their customers.

I mean seriously update DirectX 9 even though Microsoft stopped Windows XP support yesterday. That's insane.

Aver

Forum veteran
So I got a lot of updates. It's not about DirectX 12 but it is about DirectX.

So Nvidia is working on not only having DirectX 12 to match AMD's Mantle API but to further improve DirectX 11 to get more draw call batches for all of DirectX 11 and every single PC version of video games that support DirectX 11 to get increased performance.

Unfortunately their GDC presentation about improving DX 11 ended up being not true.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-shouldnt-trust-manufacturer-provided-numbers

Yeah imagine the surprise that claims of performance in Rome 2 turned out to be complete and utter jokes.

Every total war game is a pile of shit in terms of performance. Besides Rome 2 the performance increases are actually modest and seem to be true.

Last edited:

Aver

Forum veteran
That article is fake.

People are reporting increases in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Total War: ROME II. Total War: ROME II got like 71% increase while The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim got like 25% and Battlefield 4 got 10%.

This article has links to at least 3 major benchmarking sites.

Last edited:
This article has links to at least 3 major benchmarking sites.
Well some people are experiencing some FPS increases. Since I have had a AMD graphic card since like forever. I am going to be buying a GTX 880 if it comes out this year a single GPU so I can see what happens. People playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are saying that it's playing smoother now.

Aver

Forum veteran
Well some people are experiencing some FPS increases. Since I have had a AMD graphic card since like forever. I am going to be buying a GTX 880 if it comes out this year a single GPU so I can see what happens. People playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are saying that it's playing smoother now.

Probably some games have some kind of FPS increase after installing those drivers, but it's just like with every driver update. Nvidia made whole presentation about those drivers - that they found new ways to optimize direct x, some new solutions etc., but in the end it just ended up being normal driver update with optimizations for few games and those optimization are nowhere near those numbers they showed during GDC.

The numbers shown during GDC were for Rome 2. Besides that supposed 64% gain the second highest was for Skyrim 25%. Dunno if that happened by the way but Skyrim users are reporting FPS increases.

What's more important however is the new Shader Cache feature which reduces stutter and loading times, across the board based on feedback people are reporting smoother gameplay.

none of this would have happened without amd stepping up. lets hope amd doesn't give up and keeps the war going so nvidia can get off their asses and try and gain support.

none of this would have happened without amd stepping up. lets hope amd doesn't give up and keeps the war going so nvidia can get off their asses and try and gain support.
True.

Nvidia did say there will be more improvements to DirectX 11 coming like in the WHQL or whatever driver.

Nvidia also said they will be further improving DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 draw calls which is weird because DirectX 9 is almost 12 years old and Microsoft stopped Windows XP support yesterday. What's more Nvidia said they will alos improve Windows XP 64-bit. Even though Microsoft stopped Windows XP support.

What's more is look at the list of graphic cards that the 337.50 beta driver supports.

GeForce 700 Series
GeForce GTX TITAN Black, GeForce GTX TITAN, GeForce GTX 780 Ti, GeForce GTX 780, GeForce GTX 770, GeForce GTX 760, GeForce GTX 760 Ti (OEM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti, GeForce GTX 750, GeForce GTX 745
GeForce 600 Series
GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 500 Series
GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, GeForce GTX 560 SE, GeForce GTX 560, GeForce GTX 555, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, GeForce GT 545, GeForce GT 530, GeForce GT 520, GeForce 510
GeForce 400 Series
GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 460 SE v2, GeForce GTX 460 SE, GeForce GTX 460, GeForce GTS 450, GeForce GT 440, GeForce GT 430, GeForce GT 420, GeForce 405
GeForce 300 Series
GeForce GT 340, GeForce GT 330, GeForce GT 320, GeForce 315, GeForce 310
GeForce 200 Series
GeForce GTX 295, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 260, GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTS 240, GeForce GT 230, GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220, GeForce G210, GeForce 210, GeForce 205
GeForce 100 Series
GeForce GT 140, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GT 120, GeForce G100
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX , GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9600 GSO, GeForce 9600 GSO 512, GeForce 9600 GS, GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9500 GS, GeForce 9400 GT, GeForce 9400, GeForce 9300 GS, GeForce 9300 GE, GeForce 9300 SE, GeForce 9300, GeForce 9200, GeForce 9100
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS 512, GeForce 8800 GTS, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, GeForce 8600 GS, GeForce 8500 GT, GeForce 8400 GS, GeForce 8400 SE, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8300 GS, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8200, GeForce 8200 /nForce 730a, GeForce 8100 /nForce 720a
ION (Desktops)
ION
ION LE (Desktops)
ION LE

It's a insane list.

More like if DICE hadn't stepped up to ask them for a better API.

Yeah. Johan Andersson is the guy to give credit to.

I am still trying to wrap my head why Nvidia is deciding to support Windows XP 64-bit even though Microsoft stopped support yesterday. As well as increase draw calls for DirectX 9 and DirectX 10. I can understand DirectX 10 since it's not so old but Windows XP and DirectX 9 is like 12+ years old. I am happy though that DirectX 9 video games will get more FPS increases in the future.

Does this mean DirectX 9 will be supported for another decade since Nvidia wants it to match DirectX 11 and DirectX 12?

Aver

Forum veteran

He also said that he pitched that idea to other manufacturers, but they weren't interested. So still, without AMD...

Last edited:
Some technical accomplishment it is really. Oh look you can increase your FPS by up to 10%, if you're lucky, on a high end machine and Mantle only works on high end GPUs. Such an achievement for the gaming industry. The only thing Mantle does worth even remotely is make the shitty AMD CPUs run somewhat better.

Meanwhile Nvidia and Microsoft are both working on things that will improve performance for most setups. That's a technological accomplishment.

It's really hard to acknowledge AMDs technological accomplishment that is Mantle, isn't it. :rolleyes:
Sigh. When will people understand.

We know that AMD releasing Mantle caused Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia to further improve and develop DirectX and OpenGL.

Now that Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia are improving DirectX and OpenGl more than ever before especially Nvidia supporting DirectX 12 on so many graphic cards there is no reason to support Mantel when DirectX and OpenGl works on AMD, Inte, and Nvidia hardware.

It is to costly to support 1 billion API's (This is sarcasm) but the more API's you support the more it will cost. Lets just have DirectX and OpenGL and make sure AMD, Intel, and Nvidia further improve them so we don't get left behind and advance these technologies. I think AMD finally pushed Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia to this brink.

I mean Nvidia is going to support DirectX9 and DirectX 10 and give them both more draw call increases in the future. I mean the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim which runs on DirectX 9 got 25% increase in performance.

So yeah I say AMD accomplished making Microsoft, Intel, and Nvidia move forward. Nvidia basically poured gasoline on AMD though with their announcements. Would be nice if AMD supported more graphic cards than just Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture as I do not have that type of AMD graphic card yet or a Nvidia graphic card. It's why later this year I am going t sell my AMD graphic card and purchase 1 single GPU. A Nvidia GTX 880 if Nvidia manages to release it this year on 20nm Maxwell and not delay it to 2015.

AMD in my eyes failed. Their driver support sucks. I purchased a AMD graphic card in 2009 and it broke in 2011 about 10,000 people had same problem as I did with their AMD graphic cards breaking due to faulty driver support and AMD wouldn't even reimburse me because of the damn End User License Agreement (EULA) you agree to.

Nvidia's PhysX physics engine and GameWorks technology is also so much more better than TressFX and Havok and that open source physics engine Bullet.

Nvidia advances so much in technology including software because I heard it was either $1 billion dollars (USD) they spend a year on Research & Development or $10 billion dollars (USD) a year. I think it was $1 billion dollars (USD) $10 billion dollars (USD) seems like a lot but it's something I remember from 2013 reading. My memory is bad sometimes.

Also the fact that Astronomy, scientists, and super computer places purchase Nvidia graphic cards over AMD graphic card. So you can imagine how much money Nvidia earns from sales from them.

Some technical accomplishment it is really. Oh look you can increase your FPS by up to 10%, if you're lucky, on a high end machine and Mantle only works on high end GPUs. Such an achievement for the gaming industry. The only thing Mantle does worth even remotely is make the shitty AMD CPUs run somewhat better.

Meanwhile Nvidia and Microsoft are both working on things that will improve performance for most setups. That's a technological accomplishment.
You mean Mantle works on Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture AMD graphics cards only. While DirectX 12 will work on every single Nvidia graphic card that supports DirectX 11.

Top Bottom