Interlaced Cyberpunk Game.

+
Campaigns end when the players or GM get tired of it.
Or more often when real-life or another game take priority.

This is how mine always go. Only ones I've ended the way I wanted were really short term. Less than a week, tops.

To have more fun with Just Cause because Last of Us isn't "perfect" for your RPG needs....that's not totally rational. Simile: it's like you enjoy a so-so meal that looks like a hamburger but lets you put on what toppings you want - when you want - because the top sirloin that was just ground up and barbecued perfectly then put into a bun with cheese and bacon...didn't let you choose what toppings you got or when they went on..

It's about how long a game can keep me entertained...

With a linear game, there is just the story, and once the story is done, there is no need or desire to really ever play it again. I mean sure, you might give it a quick run through, or do a certain level over again because you missed something, but that is about as far as it goes... I have gotten to that point that I won't buy a new game at 60 bucks a pop unless it's something thats going to keep me entertained for at least a month.

It's about how long a game can keep me entertained....

Aaahhh. I think you said this before, actually.

Sure, this I totally get. Especially at $60, right?

That's why I have so much time in World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Even though fun-per-minute is less than Deus Ex HR, I absolutely got waaay more fun total time out of the open-world games.

However.

Would I trade Skyrim for another DXHR? Yes, yes I would. Or another Stalker..hell I'd trade Skyrim and Fallout 3 for another Stalker.

So it's not a perfect ratio. Some games I liked so much, that my memories of them warm me even now. Whereas much of Skyrim and FO3 is a looooong blur.

GTA..I dunno. Never really snapped me up. Saints Row IV was more fun for me. Super powers!

Anyway. Anyone else want to list House Rules they'd like to see in-play in the shared world setting? IU has quite a few of mine already in place, like combo Roles, Stat improvement rules and fixed Martial Arts damage.

I'd like to add that a Pain Editor reduces Stun/Shock Saves by 2 levels, as well as the stated Endurance checks.

GTA..I dunno. Never really snapped me up. Saints Row IV was more fun for me. Super powers!

Everyday I question our friendship......

Anyway. Anyone else want to list House Rules they'd like to see in-play in the shared world setting? IU has quite a few of mine already in place, like combo Roles, Stat improvement rules and fixed Martial Arts damage.

I'd like to add that a Pain Editor reduces Stun/Shock Saves by 2 levels, as well as the stated Endurance checks.

OOOooooo, I should probably add that to the IU CP 2020 conversion guide.. I mean we have always treated it that way, I just never realized it wasn't official....

Everyday I question our friendship......

Giggle. SUPAH POWAHS! I can flyyeeeeeee! Keith David! I can punch tanks! What..there was some other unimportant franchise here? Pfui. FLYEEE!

OOOooooo, I should probably add that to the IU CP 2020 conversion guide.. I mean we have always treated it that way, I just never realized it wasn't official....

Every single Ref I've played with or under runs it that way. In some cases, they glanced at the description and thought that's what was meant. I mean, it is a Pain Editor.

This is kind of a big one, but could we just say you can Interface wirelessly as a rule? If you are wired in, then great, that's a safety measure so your team can pull you, but otherwise, if there is a wireless cloud - and there almost always is in Night City, except most of the Combat Zone - then you can use it.

Giggle. SUPAH POWAHS! I can flyyeeeeeee! Keith David! I can punch tanks! What..there was some other unimportant franchise here? Pfui. FLYEEE!

Every single Ref I've played with or under runs it that way. In some cases, they glanced at the description and thought that's what was meant. I mean, it is a Pain Editor.

This is kind of a big one, but could we just say you can Interface wirelessly as a rule? If you are wired in, then great, that's a safety measure so your team can pull you, but otherwise, if there is a wireless cloud - and there almost always is in Night City, except most of the Combat Zone - then you can use it.

Cybermodems are all wireless cellular... but I still make people jack into them directly.... "oh yeah sure they make blue tooth style interface, but that means your direct signal could get hacked,and without the safety protocols and measures of the cybermodem..."

Because wires and interface plugs are just cool....

Cybermodems are all wireless cellular... but I still make people jack into them directly.... "oh yeah sure they make blue tooth style interface, but that means your direct signal could get hacked,and without the safety protocols and measures of the cybermodem..."

Because wires and interface plugs are just cool....

Yeah, that's fine, I just don't want to make the players, ( our hypothetical players) have to go looking for an access port or Dataterm all the time.

You don't have to -make- them jack in, you know, not even to their own devices. Wired is cool, but the book provides a handy +1 to any skill roll using Low Impedance Cables. So people-in-the-know already wire in for smartguns and netrunning.

that helps too

And I actually do have some dead spots.... I am running a nomad game right now after all.... tends to muck with modems, laptops, all sorts of stuff....

Hm. Since we obviously don't have the tech yet, we can only speculate on how it'd work.

I always envisioned the cyberdeck as doing most of the heavy lifting, insofar as translating the inbound data into something our brains can process, and in turn, processing our output into commands readable by the Net.

For the amount of data processing in both directions, I always took it as a given that you'd have to be jacked in to your cyberdeck. Hardline > wireless, imo.

I don't have a problem with the cyberdeck connecting to a wireless cloud, or an internal deck in a cyberlimb slot connecting wirelessly, but it makes sense to me for the 'Runner to be connected by hardline to their deck.

I'd have to agree.

While wireless is VERY nice for "Joe Average Corp Wageslave" the majority of "real" programmer types still prefer a hardwire.
Why you ask?
Less susceptible to being hijacked, eavesdropped, or interference from EMP/solar flares; with the right connection MUCH faster (think a T3 line); and last but no least control. Programmers are all control freaks ;) I are one, I outta know!

Programmers are all control freaks ;) I are one, I outta know!
I don't think of it as being a control freak. I think of it as programmers having attention to detail.

Somewhat neurotic, bordering on obsessive attention to detail. ;)

I always imagined that the characters were physically connected to the cyberdeck. If they have a wireless modem on the deck they can connect wirelessly. Connecting physically is faster. Wireless has at least a -1 from the book, if I remember correctly. Then if you are connecting physically low impedance cables can be used for a +1. The cyberdeck handles the processing required for seeing the net as a world and accessing the menu. Then transfers through the cybermodem link to the neuralware processor to the brain.

One of the guys I play with is still arguing that characters do not need a neuralware processor for cyberware. He argues that with prosthetics today there is no neuralware processor. I have told him that his characters can have prosthetics like we have today with out one. Just that when he does put one on his next solo character it will take 3 actions to draw his weapon.

Wisdom, I must have an outdated copy of IU. Or just have not read enough. The only martial arts I have seen are offensive, defensive, and weapon.

I

One of the guys I play with is still arguing that characters do not need a neuralware processor for cyberware. He argues that with prosthetics today there is no neuralware processor. I have told him that his characters can have prosthetics like we have today with out one. Just that when he does put one on his next solo character it will take 3 actions to draw his weapon. .

Pretty sure it says you need a neuralware processor. The prosthetics today are in no way as capable as the 2020 ones nor is the technology going to be identical.

It's quite possible that in order to get fully responsive cyberlimbs that can, you know, FEEL, we -will- need a neuralware processor. There should be no argument. Tell him that is your ruling and move on.

You know, honestly.... I only require a processor for neuralware.... things like chipware and interface sockets...

I have never required them for cyberlimbs or organs.

You know, honestly.... I only require a processor for neuralware.... things like chipware and interface sockets...

I have never required them for cyberlimbs or organs.

Checked the book - says you need it for "any type of neural interface, reflex boosters, int. plugs, weapon, DataTerm and vehcile links, minicomputers, (this is an open category, I'd suppose decks and anything else needing built-in computing capabilities) and sensory augmentations."

The problem is the "any type of neural interface" issue. If you want your cyberware to talk to you or amplify something connected to your nervous system, you need the machine to make it happen. So, replacement liver, no. Pacesetter 2000 Sportheart...maybe. Cyberlimbs..maybe.

it does say, in big bold letters that it's NEEDED FOR ALL SYSTEMS, but that could mean all neuralware systems..only the description does specify things like microcomputers and sensory augmentations. Like, you know, cyberoptics.

Still, could go either way. Make your decision and call it done.

It's no biggie either way that I can see, though. 1D6 HL. Rule that's 1 HL and move on.

Neuralware

One of the most important aspects of cybertechis invisible to the naked eye. This type of enhancement, known as neuralware, is usually in the form of tiny co-processing chips and nerve amplifiers that increase existing abilities.

The basic neural processor is a "switch-box" implanted into the lower spine, and is used to route signals from external cyberwear to the central nervous system.

Main rule book, 2nd edition, pgs. 80 - 81.

It reads to me as though you need the basic neuralware bundle for your cyberlimbs to interface with, though I don't think my group have been playing it this way. Can't recall offhand if anyone has a cyberlimb, though.

I have never required the Neuralware Processor for a cyberlimb, just the links and boosts generally listed right after it in the tables. I would use the exception of a cyberlimb with a cyberdeck built in or a smartlinked pop up gun or such.

Top Bottom