The General Videogame Thread

+
I loved the first Risen. The second one I stopped playing after 8 hours or so.

So yeah. I have around zero interest for Risen 3..

Well last night I finished playing The Room 2, an Android puzzle game. It's probably one of the most exciting and engaging semi-pure puzzle games I have ever played. Too bad it's kind of short.

By semi-pure puzzle I mean puzzles are THE game itself, they are not mini games or an excuse to other means (such as Puzzle Quest). A pure puzzle game I suppose would be one with just puzzles, no story and motivations beyond solving each challenge. In this game each puzzle is composed of several parts in several "tables" and they all connect together to advance between rooms, providing a story to go with it. It also lends itself very well to the touch screen format.

Got it DRM-free in a Humble Bundle.

I think the first one was great. Second one I installed and uninstalled after few minutes of cheese and terrible dialogues
(reminded me of Dragon Age). So third one is make it or brake it for me... if they fuck up again, I'm done with them.
And they probably will, I know, but still... I think someone who made R1 and Gothic series deserves another chance.

I think someone who made R1 and Gothic series deserves another chance.
I wish they'd ruin R3 instead of R2. If R3 turns out to be okay I still probably won't play it because of Risen 2. Jumping from the first game to third is like "Well this game is kinda nice but I don't really know what the hell is going on around here because I never played Risen 2" -.-'

Just annoying.

New ip would've been more to my liking tbh.

I'm still in the middle of Risen 1 and I like it so far. Didn't try Risen 2, but it looks like it has different settings while keeping same characters. First one is in medieval settings on a fantasy pseudo-Spanish island, while the second is some pirate era settings while at the same time some characters are the same. I didn't get that time period shift really.

I just picked up Bioshock and Bioshock 2 in this weekend's Steam Sale. Any tips? I've had them both wishlisted since playing Infinite, so I'm looking forward to this pair.

(And gotta love Steam Sales. The bundle price for the two was 1 cent more expensive than the total of the individual prices).

I just picked up Bioshock and Bioshock 2 in this weekend's Steam Sale. Any tips? I've had them both wishlisted since playing Infinite, so I'm looking forward to this pair.

(And gotta love Steam Sales. The bundle price for the two was 1 cent more expensive than the total of the individual prices).

You'll learn a lot more of Rapture than you did Columbia. The story feels much better put together as the city is part of the story and not just a setting like the latter. A touch of survival/horror in the beginning. Gamelpay is generally the same except you'll have access to all weapons at and don't have to change them out. If you really like 1, then you'll probably like 2.But it'll have that cash grab feel still. Minerva's Den dlc was pretty fun too.

Edit: BEES!

Yeah, go play System Shock 2 and then marvel at how dumbed down Infinite is but hey it's ok for most gamers nowadays because GAMEZ ARE ART.

Damn Ken Levine he really.... nevermind let's not turn this thread into that... but I MUST leave this video here

The art direction is great and Elizabeth is an intriguing character but the story does not go hand in hand with the gameplay at all. You shoot ridiculous enemies with ridiculous weapons and powers all the while the game tries so hard to be regarded as high art...it just doesn't work. I think many gamers are desperate for games to be accepted as a high art, all while deliberately ignoring the glaring flaws the game has such as terrible weapons, simplistic level design, Elizabeth being traumatized by a murder at the beginning of the game but doesn't react at all when you eviscerate and blow up enemies...it just feels very disconnected and in my opinion the game does not deserve more than an 8.5 nor all the hype and adoration around it.

I liked Infinite. Maybe not the greatest game ever made, but it was still fun to play, with a better story than many even though there were quite a lot of plot-holes. But yes, it has left me with a big desire to play the first two games. I have System Shock 2 as well, for sometime when I'm feeling in the need for a challenge :)

Apparently Wolfenstein is 20 hours long, obviously there is always a slight difference between the figures reported and general playtime but still, nice to know this isn't a 4 hours long shooter.

@Cormacolindor: While I agree with most of your points, especially after I played the god awful Burial at Sea dlc's, I do wonder why you think the enemies /weapons/powers were ridiculous?

@Cormacolindor: While I agree with most of your points, especially after I played the god awful Burial at Sea dlc's, I do wonder why you think the enemies /weapons/powers were ridiculous?

Well you shoot lightning out of your hands at psychos, blow their heads off. I am not one of those people who think that violence cannot be art but in order to be art it has to have meaning while the majority of the violence in this game is just entertainment. I am NOT against violent games, in fact I LOVE Doom and Duke Nukem and play them very regularly and they both have their own kind of artistry, which is level design and the very dark and moody atmosphere. They are both culminations of small things that make an interesting whole, the atmosphere in those games is more...understated. This works in those games because they do not pretend to be anything, unlike Bioshock. a game tries so hard to be English literature-y. The two simply don't mesh too well.

Infinite should have been an adventure game imo. Everything that made the game aside from the story and visuals was either mediocre, unfitting or both (the shooting and level design) . This game should not have been a shooter, a first person adventure game? That could have worked. For me the best part of the game was the introduction, I wished to see more of that. What really infuriates me though is that players are willing to ignore these issues because the game is so "artistic" which is not a good attitude at all.

Last edited:
Well it's the same exact gameplay from the original, plus skyhook. I followed the game pretty closely but I don'tever remember Levine, Irrational, or 2K coming out and saying it was like a work of art. I blame media critics for praising it like it was art by a renaissance artist.

And you're definitely not the first to suggest it shouldn't of had combat. I won't make any assumptions of you, but critics would have probably said vice-versa if it had no combat.

It's not the exact same gameplay. The levels are far more linear, upgrades are just uninteresting ammo/damage modifiers, guns still feel like peashooters. Of course Ken Levine would never claim such things, it would make him look arrogant and pretentious, which is never good for the image of a company,

I didn't imply level design was the same. No it wasn't great, I can accept Rapture being more linear but Columbia should have been more open as was planned. Not that all linearity is bad. But other that different ammo types, tears, and looks of the weapons it was basically the same stuff.

Totally.

Here I'm slowly bleeding out and there was no enemy around to finish me out. So I was waiting on sidspyker to put me out of my misery because it was taking too long, haha.

Top Bottom