Cyberpunk 2077 - Your Ideas For A Dream RPG

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Balance is always a fine line.

I also think Kazmer is onto something with his mention of virus attacks/defence, especially in Hand-to-Hand fighting. The ability to have cached programs on standby with which to attack (or be attacked) is an interesting idea. e.g. A program which temporarily infects cyber eyes and renders a virtual overlay changing friend/foe parameters.

Cyberpunk 2020 has this and has had it for more than twenty years. We call them micronets, the cyberware operating systems, and there is software to manipulate, shut down, accelerate and generally mess with the user's cyberware.

Deploying them yourself in hand-to-hand is one of those classic player ideas that most GMs run screaming from, but it is a fun one.

Cyberpunk 2020 has this and has had it for more than twenty years. We call them micronets, the cyberware operating systems, and there is software to manipulate, shut down, accelerate and generally mess with the user's cyberware.

Shadowrun revised editions have the new wireless AR (Augmented Reality), ironically this seems to be the way things like Google Glass will be heading. The ability to nuke someone's cyberware could be fun :)

Edit: In fact, now I'm feeling all nostalgic I should take a photo of my beautiful old RPG books so I can force the world to pretend they share my level of interest, even if only for a comment or two :)

Last edited:
Shadowrun revised editions have the new wireless AR (Augmented Reality), ironically this seems to be the way things like Google Glass will be heading. The ability to nuke someone's cyberware could be fun :)

Edit: In fact, now I'm feeling all nostalgic I should take a photo of my beautiful old RPG books so I can force the world to pretend they share my level of interest, even if only for a comment or two :)

Yes, you should!

We should also go through the list of Cyberpunk and Shadowrun predictions and tech, match them against current stuff.

I hope CDPR has already done that, of course.

I'd be happy to pretend!

I also think Kazmer is onto something with his mention of virus attacks/defence, especially in Hand-to-Hand fighting. The ability to have cached programs on standby with which to attack (or be attacked) is an interesting idea. e.g. A program which temporarily infects cyber eyes and renders a virtual overlay changing friend/foe parameters.

This assumes whoever designed the cybereyes was dumb enough to include some sort of "WiFi" type link making them vulnerable to external hacking and stupid enough not to hard code (via a microchip) their programming so that there is no programming to hack.

This assumes whoever designed the cybereyes was dumb enough to include some sort of "WiFi" type link making them vulnerable to external hacking and stupid enough not to hard code (via a microchip) their programming so that there is no programming to hack.

Yes. This would happen - probably billed as a feature in the information rich world. In fact, Times Square Marquee cybereye option already takes external data - and from several sources at that.

Dumb stuff is built in or overlooked pretty often, even by people that should know better.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/dec/17/skygrabber-american-drones-hacked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–U.S._RQ-170_incident

Were still not being brilliant, come 2012:

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/hack-proof-drone/

The eyes themselves may actually broadcast the signal wireless, this would cut down on bloatware. It would also allow a Decker/Programmer team mate to get eyes on the scene.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 32
New here. Longtime CP fan. Apologies for not reading the entire 248 pages.

What would make my ideal non-MMO updated CP 2020-based RPG?

No Classes.
No Levels.

If you're going to have different storylines based on some starting condition, let people choose a "current situation" from a list, with maybe some qualifying parameters. If they pick one that doesn't make sense for their chosen initial skillset, they'll struggle, so the "prerequisites" for the story start would be a good idea. Some options might have tight prerequisites (Authority perk, combat cyberwear, Guns and Investigation needed to qualify for the C-SWAT start point, perhaps) but any given selection of character might be able to qualify for more than one: that C-SWAT character might also qualify for the "vanilla cop" start point, or the "rigger" if they also picked some rigger gear and skills. Without digging around a bit, my recollection of CP2020 is that the classes all had "unique" skills that boosted their primary role; no reason these couldn't be in, but they shouldn't be mutually exclusive; the Jack of Trades should have a place.

Limitations on what you can get/do/learn. Not necessarily hard ones. Cyberwear has an inherent limitation, in the risk of Cyber Psychosis, but that can be mitigated by gear quality and expensive counselling sessions, or even a high Empathy. Skill learning should be limited too: in the real world, you lose your edge in skills you don't use; this would prevent one character being expert in all fields, which is counter to the gritty realism of the setting. Mitigations to these limits could be cyberwear based or character creation options.

Co-op options. Because the original form was a tabletop RPG, there's the latent need for accommodating more than one player. Maybe there could be (probably side) missions specifically designed for co-op play, with proportionately diverse/tougher challenges and greater rewards. A dynamic world which scaled any "random" encounters or at least made them react differently to the co-op party would be good. Being able to recruit allies in lieu of other players would probably be necessary.

Lots of character customisation. Clothes, physiognomy, physique. Many of which can be altered by elective procedures in the '70s.

A good inventory system. My tabletop RPG career started around the time of the advent of personal computing, and I've been hoping since then for some game to use the calculating power of the computer to relieve the player of the burden of calculating encumberance (a burden usually discarded by tabletoppers pretty sharpish in favour of GM fiat and bags of holding, neither of which are palatable options in a near-future tech-based computer game setting). Weight and its distribution should affect the performance of the character: players spend ages tweaking the stats of their individual gear; how is tweaking the stats of how that gear is loaded any different in the optimisation process? Having realistic/plausible holsters and LBE and pockets and having them matter would be a computer gaming dream come true. Weight and bulk should both matter. Getting your trench coat cut to fit over your combat armour and LBE should matter. What you're wearing should matter in social situations: they won't let you into AfterLife in full combat gear without your badge, or a successful intimidate/combat, but the boosters in the alley you get ejected into might think twice about trying to mug you.

NPCs with a sense of self-preservation. If you cut down the first two boosters with your wolvers and wired reflexes, the others should start thinking about running away. Civilians in a street where the C-SWAT team are taking down a psycho should run and hide, if the psycho hasn't already persuaded them of the wisdom of that course of action.

A world that reacts, even to itself. If the cops show up (perhaps because of something you did), the locals should react appropriately.

Eh. Could go on, but no time.

I totally agree with "NPCs with a sense of self-preservation".
I've yet to see a game where at a certain point NPCs start to flee what's obviously a losing battle.
This alone would do wonders for "realism" in a game.

Limitations on what you can get/do/learn. Not necessarily hard ones. Cyberwear has an inherent limitation, in the risk of Cyber Psychosis, but that can be mitigated by gear quality and expensive counselling sessions, or even a high Empathy. Skill learning should be limited too: in the real world, you lose your edge in skills you don't use; this would prevent one character being expert in all fields, which is counter to the gritty realism of the setting. Mitigations to these limits could be cyberwear based or character creation options.
My one problem is that I predict something like this, if not done perfectly, would feel more like a gimmick than a boost to the sense of realism. Unless I didn't read it correctly, it sounds as if the idea is for skills to deteriorate without steady use. I like the idea, but it needs to be subtle enough for people not to focus too much time around getting their skill stats back up to par, but not so subtle that people hardly notice it and it becomes more of an annoyance.

I agree with the rest of it, though.

A good inventory system. My tabletop RPG career started around the time of the advent of personal computing, and I've been hoping since then for some game to use the calculating power of the computer to relieve the player of the burden of calculating encumberance (a burden usually discarded by tabletoppers pretty sharpish in favour of GM fiat and bags of holding, neither of which are palatable options in a near-future tech-based computer game setting). Weight and its distribution should affect the performance of the character: players spend ages tweaking the stats of their individual gear; how is tweaking the stats of how that gear is loaded any different in the optimisation process? Having realistic/plausible holsters and LBE and pockets and having them matter would be a computer gaming dream come true. Weight and bulk should both matter. Getting your trench coat cut to fit over your combat armour and LBE should matter. What you're wearing should matter in social situations: they won't let you into AfterLife in full combat gear without your badge, or a successful intimidate/combat, but the boosters in the alley you get ejected into might think twice about trying to mug you.
I really do like this idea, and I mentioned something similar to it in a previous thread (albeit with a lot less detail), but I unfortunately don't see it as being very plausible. I'd imagine that the majority of people, perhaps even of these forums, would rather the inventory not be so limiting. I'm a pack-rat. While I like the idea in practice, I have a hard time believing I would actually enjoy it.

...though as I finished typing this, I thought of a way that might make it work.

Lower the value of looted items. In the Elder Scrolls/Fallout series for instance, selling looted items is one of the most common and accessible methods of making money. This leads to people searching every nook and cranny of every room to make sure they collected anything of value. In turn (unless I'm alone on this), it leads to people spending hours trying to organize their items and get everything below the weight limit. By removing the motivation to loot everything in sight, people will be more inclined to just loot the things they need.

Do not include a "weight" stat (or anything of the sort). Just don't make it a stat at all. Give us a visual indicator of an overload on weight. Make our characters look cumbersome. Make them slower, make them a target, make them vulnerable. Make it gradual as well. I don't want anything similar to Bethesda's games in which I could shrug off the weight of heavy iron armor, 14 battle axes, and a lifetime supply of mammoth meat, but one apple is enough to bring me to a snail's pace. By not making it a stat, it also cuts down on time spent micro-managing things, which is often more annoying than what it's worth.

Allow people to control their "visual handbag". Give players the option to attempt to conceal a carried weapon or change the positioning of where something hangs on the body. Maybe someone with a holster is less concealed, but as a result, they can also draw their weapon faster. This falls in line with customization, but it has some practical aspects as well.

Also, I just finished typing this up only to realize that I repeated a lot of what you said... oops.

I use skill deterioration in my primary PnP games and no one complains.
My systems caps skills at 100+Skill Base (usually an average of 3 character stats) but even getting that good requires tons of character (not player) time and effort. Most folks settle for the high 90's to low 100's, and that only on skills they want to excel at. When a skill isn't actively used, or practiced, for a month it deteriorates 1% to a minimum of 75% (just for simplicity I don't bother with skill deterioration below 75%). Regaining a deteriorated skill happens at 3x the rate of improving a skill so it goes pretty fast.

Now, is ANY of that relevant to CP2077, not in the slightest (unless the campaign is designed to last months/years). I merely point out that such a system can be used and be reasonably modeled.

Unfortunately encumbrance only has two options.
Ignore it.
Enforce it.
If you ignore it like a lot of games you get folks carrying a minigun, anti-tank missile, anti-aircraft missile, 50cal sniper rifle, assault rifle, silenced SMG etc. plus a truckload of ammo for each, all that the same time. Obviously totally unrealistic.
Or you set some fairly arbitrary limit like 1x "Rifle", 2x"Handgun/SMG", 1x "Melee Weapon" and that's far better then the above but just as unrealistic.
As much as people hate dealing with mass-based loot systems beats the HELL out of "Inventory Tetras" where space is the limiting factor and every item has a size/shape based on it's mass/bulk.
One of those "no win" situations I'm afraid.

I think skill deterioration is difficult to manage, one reason why it's found so rarely, especially if a game is co-op or multi-player (with/without PvP) then balancing issues become a nightmare. This is one of the primary reasons we have level restrictions.

The only other way is having XP depreciate as a character gets higher in level, but this makes a game without end ...... fun, but everyone still likes "Endgame content".

Difficult because more games don't cover years of time. If the game only covers a few months, and many only cover a few days, skill deterioration is irrelevant.

There is another thing.

Auto-play feature for Dialogue.

Take Witcher 2 as an example. Awesome game, love the voice overs, find the stories/information from dialogue with NPC's riveting. The problem is I'd like to hit an "Auto-Play" button (similar to "Skip") and sit back with my coffee and enjoy the dialogue for 5 minutes while the AI assist asks the NPC all the questions on my behalf. I have a short attention span so I eventually find myself mashing the keys to get through the dialogue as quickly as possible, and only because I know I've got to wait for it so I can ask the next question.
Some people might call that lazy or say it defeats the purpose, I say it's giving an option for those who may want it :)

He just woke up one morning and found he was like that. Terrible thing to happen to anyone. I blame the water supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom