How much knowledge do I need to fully enjoy this game?

+
How much knowledge do I need to fully enjoy this game?

From what I know by now the game is based on a Pen & Paper RPG.

I am not such a great fan of Pen & Paper RPG. But I am really interested in playing Cyberpunk 2077 once it is released.

How much knowledge do you think is needed about the Cyberpunk 2077 universe to fully enjoy the game?

My only knowledge so far is the book Neuromancer by William Gibson which I enjoyed a lot.

That's it.

More than you need, in fact. CDPR proved quite thoroughly, with Witcher 1 and 2, that they are sufficient introduction to a new world setting.

If you've read Neuromancer, great, you'll savour it even more.

To get all the in-jokes and game references, yes, you'd have to not only read but also play quite a bit of the PnP, I suspect. Hardly necessary to enjoy the game, though.

May, in fact, get in the way - I wish I could be totally new to Cyberpunk 2020 as you are, and re-experience all that I have. Oh, well.

Not much, I figure they'll explain everything you need to know in the game.
You can read the pnp to have a preview of the tone, the settings, famous name (Arasaka, Militech, Dynatech, Petrochem, Johnny Silverhands, etc...), but as Sardukhar said, you'll mosty get the few in-joke and nods to old event, other than this, it'll not explain a whole lot more to you, I figure the world will change a lot from 2020 to 2077, so everything from 2020 will just be nods to "old things", just like now, if you weren't born during the cold war, you don't miss that much to fully enjoy your life, well you maybe don't get a few jokes from the time, but who give a f***? we're in 2014 dude.
I expect something like this.

Last edited:
You won't understand a lot of references and in-jokes, beyond that you will be fine... not as cool as us olf time fans of the original game, but fine none the less.

That sort of assumes Sard is working from memory/experience not looking everything up on the Net.

That sort of assumes Sard is working from memory/experience not looking everything up on the Net.

Hey. HEY.

I had to look up the Martial Art moves - I couldn't remember if it was Grapple and then Trip/Sweep or the other way around. I feel ashamed.

Forum veteran
Who needs knowledge when you have the living repositories of 2020 knowledge who hang around here? They may be cheeto-stained and have bloodshot eyes, and the idea of having to plumb their inexplicably sticky depths may seem unappealing, but they're bound to explain even the in-jokes once the game is actually released.

Plus you can use your ignorance as a weapon if you plan on sticking around the forum. Saying something like "Johnny Silvershot" gives you the pleasure of knowing that someone is on the verge of an aneurysm.

Plus you can use your ignorance as a weapon if you plan on sticking around the forum. Saying something like "Johnny Silvershot" gives you the pleasure of knowing that someone is on the verge of an aneurysm.

Silver HAND. SilverHAND.

Silver HAND. SilverHAND.
Him?

Another fine day's work.

And, now everyone has MORE knowledge! SO ON TOPIC.

I demand REDpoints. Also slimgrin - he needs lots of those.

Top Bottom