Curse You GOG!

+
Film is definitely worse. To begin with it's much older than video games and business dynamics are older and more stiff. It's probably like trying to convince a 90 year old factory owner to switch to sustainable fuels or practices.

Their rationale defies all logic. So what we need are hard numbers showing it actually is profitable for them. They are blind and need to be slapped with Benjamin Franklins. Same thing can be said about most game publishers but being a newer market it was more flexible. Thankfully we are reacting now or gaming would become completely corporate soon.

Film is definitely worse. To begin with it's much older than video games and business dynamics are older and more stiff. It's probably like trying to convince a 90 year old factory owner to switch to sustainable fuels or practices.

Their rationale defies all logic. So what we need are hard numbers showing it actually is profitable for them. They are blind and need to be slapped with Benjamin Franklins.

Note how Guillaume Rambourg said that even though some execs approved the idea, it was cancelled because of their lawyers. It should send not so subtle message about who drives this DRM craziness in that industry and who really is "the boss" there. It can mean that no amount of logic or even Franklins coming from sales can change their mind, because it's not simply money they are after, they crave control (i.e. power). And DRM gives them that, because they crafted corrupted laws like DMCA-1201 which give them disproportionate control over technologies, distribution channels and the like. Drop all DRM, and their corrupted control structures coded into the law will crumble since they'll be simply irrelevant. I get a feeling, that like some dictators who don't care about their economy but care about feeding their power hungry ego, such people also crave control over the better business. Which doesn't give a very encouraging estimation about all this.

Last edited:
But at least GOG is trying to change their minds . I guess what i`m trying to say is that someone has to start somewhere in this whole DRM myriad scheme . It would have been easier to just sit back and do nothing and let things remain the same . But GOG is rocking the boat as they say in trying to change things for the better .

But GOG is rocking the boat as they say in trying to change things for the better .

I surely appreciate that and support them fully in this. But it's going to be an uphill battle against some of the most corrupted control freaks for GOG.

Last edited:
Not sure if its old news, or "new news", but the "Linux" version of TW2 is up on GOG. However, I don't see any mention that the game is using, presumably, the eON wrapper which is very strange.

It's new news :) The weird part is that GOG did it completely silently. No announcement, no front page notice, nothing. I would have completely missed it if not for some folks noticing it and posting in Linux gaming news. They really should fix their release notifications.

Downloading from GOG is slow for me now though. Barely 50 - 100 KB / s. Before GOG downloads practically fully saturated my 50 Mbit / s channel. May be GOG servers are overloaded because of the video streaming. I hope it's not my ISP messing with it.

UPDATE: Looks like it cleared up. Must have been some temporary jam.

Last edited:

Umm, jam.

So it's GOG's 6th birthday and to celebrate they are having another 80% off sale. I feel like they are spoiling us :)

And there's more coming! Each day will offer a sale for games added to the catalogue in each year of GoG's history.

Sorry this might have been answered in the 54 pages but Every few weeks I see some update in my GoG catalog but there is never a way to see what that update is.

Right now the Witcher 2 says 'updated' but I see nothing. No notes, no patches, no idea of why this or any other game ever says 'updated'. And what am I supposed to do when a game says updated? Redownload the entire game?

Sorry this might have been answered in the 54 pages but Every few weeks I see some update in my GoG catalog but there is never a way to see what that update is.

Right now the Witcher 2 says 'updated' but I see nothing. No notes, no patches, no idea of why this or any other game ever says 'updated'. And what am I supposed to do when a game says updated? Redownload the entire game?

In this case (Witcher 2) go to the Linux section on the game page and you should see "Latest Patch" with a "new" tag next to it.

The information on what's been updated can usually be found in the game-specific section of the gog forum, as a STICKY thread. As for TW2, they've updated the Linux version.

In this case (Witcher 2) go to the Linux section on the game page and you should see "Latest Patch" with a "new" tag next to it.

The information on what's been updated can usually be found in the game-specific section of the gog forum, as a STICKY thread. As for TW2, they've updated the Linux version.

Thanks! I never even bothered to click on the Mac or Linux tabs before! Haha that must have been related to the other games too, maybe no windows update but an update for other versions.

@chance : In this case it's a bug however. Even after you open the tab with the update, notification returns (aka Dragonsphere bug #2). GOG are already looking into it.

In general GOG could improve these notifications. For example new can be shown on relevant tabs as well (Windows, OS X or Linux).

Last edited:
Gamespot did an in depth interview. It's confirmed, they just haven't implemented it yet.

I don't mind beta games if they are optional actually. For example I could help beta test TW2 for Linux earlier if they have made it available, since I already played it in Wine before. So there is some use in beta programs when people are willing to test some games. However I wouldn't do it for story intensive titles that I've never played before since it equals to a spoiler.

Also, may be such games can be provided for free since beta testers actually help developers. I don't think charging for such games makes much sense.

The main problem with this kind of "early access" are cases when some developers sell half cooked games and then never finish them. That's why I said that may be selling them doesn't make sense. Let it simply be an opt-in beta testing program. If they worry that some people would just play the beta and never pay for the game, they can make it conditional. I.e. you don't pay right away, but make a preorder which is charged when the game comes out. And if it doesn't - then you aren't charged. Something of that sort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom