Curse You GOG!

+
I imagine they're going to do some Galaxy and publisher announcements, so they're trying to do something more... official?

A Reddit AMA (as much as I dislike Reddit, off-topic though) would probably be a better idea if they decide to do something like this more regularly.

I can't say I dislike Reddit, on the other hand I use just a very few focused subreddits occasionally where off-topics aren't tolerated so I never really encountered anything that I didn't like so far. It's still owned by a company so they can have some monetization matters that can affect it badly.

AMA with various game developers in the past were quite interesting, so GOG could use the opportunity to reach more people with their DRM-free ideas.

Last edited:
By the way, an interesting article that I recently found:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-celebrates-six-years-of-advancing-the-drm-free/1100-6422150/

Here is a notable part:

There is one last thing coming up hopefully before the end of the year. This is at the top of my to-do list right now. I have a pretty substantial deal in my inbox right now, which I need to finalize. It's going to be a deal for classic games on GOG with a major publisher, and that publisher has many games which are at the very top or in the middle of GOG's wish list. So if we sign that one, we will fulfill many wishes in the coming months.

May be it's Disney / LucasArts and Loom with other adventure games will be released DRM-free at last?

Last edited:
That'd be awesome! Maybe with GOG's help Residual VM will finally support Monkey 4 and Grim Fandango properly.

- Big release of a classic game from a new publisher coming in the next 30 days
- gog Galaxy client closed beta coming by the end of the year
- They'll be giving away a classic MP FPS (it is currenty not on gog, so a new release) for free tomorrow (and will remain in your account forever) for the purpose of testing the MP component of the Galaxy system. You'll have 48 hours to get the game
- There's a good chance the Galaxy client will be open source, problem with doing that with the current download client was that the documentation wasn't good enough
- Linux version won't be available for the closed beta of the Galaxy client, but there will be one eventually
- They said that they've talked to movie companies about bringig classic movies to gog. Problem is, multiple companies around the world own the rights, so they can sign up some movies for selected countries only, and they're asking the community if they want that or not
- On Nordic games, they can bring them back if the community's okay with standard regional prices with the fair price package from gog
- On Cyberpunk, they can't talk about it yet, will do so after TW3, as well as some extra content for it, is released
- They're still working to improve the gog website, logo is also no final

I think that was the most important stuff, if I've missed anything, feel free to chime in.

- There's a good chance the Galaxy client will be open source, problem with doing that with the current download client was that the documentation wasn't good enough
- Linux version won't be available for the closed beta of the Galaxy client, but there will be one eventually

A correction. He didn't say they are going to make it open source (though in the past they said it's an idea they are considering). He said that they are supportive of community making such open client, and they'll work on documenting the new protocol for Galaxy to enable it. Not ideal, but it's still a huge difference from services like Steam.

Well well! GOG adds Linux support for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and today I just noticed they've also added the Enhanced Editions to their library!

Is it time for another run through the sword coast? But I am still not done with Wasteland 2, and there's Divinity OS and Legend of Grimrock 2. Aaah!

Curse you, GOG!

Well well! GOG adds Linux support for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and today I just noticed they've also added the Enhanced Editions to their library!

Is it time for another run through the sword coast? But I am still not done with Wasteland 2, and there's Divinity OS and Legend of Grimrock 2. Aaah!

Curse you, GOG!

They want your money! You cannot resist! :evil:

They want your money! You cannot resist! :evil:

I've resisted buying both BGEE and BG2EE so far because 1) They seem like no more than an overpriced, pre-modded BG and 2) They were Steam only after Beamdog was forced to remove them from their own catalogue. I think they might be back though? Anyway.

A well priced (read more than 50% off) version of the EE's... I might actually fall for it and give them a try. The menus look slick and even though the backdrops of the originals scale well in large resolutions, the text does not.

Damn GOG. I have so much to do. Give me a fucking break!

Anybody know when AVP goes on sale, i'm not doing QA for free so i was wondering when I can just buy it?

Or you could join, receive your key, and never try the Galaxy Beta. That should work right? Like attending a sales pitch, having free coffee and then leaving.

Nah wouldn't do that to GOG, besides games worth paying for, well marine campaign anyway. Pred and Alien are a bit shit. Cheers anyway.

Curse you, GOG!

Very cool! I missed that. I just don't understand why GOG notifies my if my Witcher or BG game gets a soundtrack modification or update, but not if a Linux version or Wasteland 2 game update is available. Grumble grumble grumble.

They were supposedly making the Linux versions of enhanced editions too. Did they already come out? GOG offers only Windows and OS X versions.

On a side note. lgogdownloader is now in official Debian repos! https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lgogdownloader

It won't last long term I suspect, because Galaxy protocol will replace it. But until then, it's useful.

Top Bottom