The General Videogame Thread

+
Is anyone else sick of all these fucking Destiny adds all over the place? One pops up every time I try to watch a video on YouTube and Twitch. Even the TV is not exempt! It's driving me insane! :rant:

I can help you out. I haven't seen an ad on youtube in a good while ever since I added ghostery:
https://www.ghostery.com/en/

It'll block all sorts of things including youtube advertisements of all kinds. It's for firefox though.

Lol, indeed. That works for chrome, firefox, and several others too I believe, so ghostery or adblock works. I prefer ghostery.

so everyone watch the first 10 min or so of this

FF12 wasn't like the other FF's with teens saving the world is was a lot more political and I really liked all the characters. The main character at the neginning is clearly overshadowed by an awesome side character.

Art direction was excellent as well I loved all the other races here, way better than Bioware art direction even the effort they put into this game is better.

FFXII had the same director than FFT, Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story (Yasumi Matsuno), but SEnix cut the game in half so we only got a butchered story and a painful main character (Vaan) instead of what was originally planned (because unfortunately, and I disagree with you, you end up saving the world with a bunch of teens). Matsuno fleed from SEnix after this game.
However FFTactics is a masterpiece story-wise, and Vagrant Story is still my favourite game for many reasons (a good challenge, a wonder of a game technically and artistically, the soundtrack is the best I've heard, good story, writing and characters).

FFXII had the same director than FFT, Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story (Yasumi Matsuno), but SEnix cut the game in half so we only got a butchered story and a painful main character (Vaan) instead of what was originally planned (because unfortunately, and I disagree with you, you end up saving the world with a bunch of teens). Matsuno fleed from SEnix after this game.
However FFTactics is a masterpiece story-wise, and Vagrant Story is still my favourite game for many reasons (a good challenge, a wonder of a game technically and artistically, the soundtrack is the best I've heard, good story, writing and characters).

My gf loves Tactics Ogre but I can't take turnbased gameplay anymore. Vagrant Story looked like dark stuff as well. FF12 was cut in half but it's still okay. Balthier was the true main character and he wasn't just a teen. He's actually a good character.

I like how everyone just treats the main character like he's just some normal dude(which he is)

FFXII´s story was weird...
On one hand you had interesting political conflicts and ethical discussions about the use of this magical material.(How was it called? Netherite, Magicite, something like that...). Also, it had some quite interesting characters, such as Balthier and Ashe.
On the other hand, you had characters such as Vaan and Penelo, who could have been excluded from the game, as they contribute nothing to the story and do not exhibit any character development whatsoever. And the plot eventually becomes quite of a mess, with things beginning to lose sense towards the end.
I think it had a lot of potential story-wise, but it lacked a bit in the overall analysis.

Gameplay-wise, however, it was awesome in every aspect IMO.

Balthier, Ashe and Basch (and even Fran) were very good characters indeed. Vaan and Penelo are your generic FF characters, a light-hearted hero (Vaan/Cloud/Squall/Tidus) and an even more light-hearted young brat (Selphie/Rikku/etc.). They managed to keep some decency about those characters though, they're nowhere as annoying as Tidus or Selphie were for instance.
I played FFXII (Zodiac edition) on PC with an emulator. This game is beautiful. The face "animations" and "cinematography" especially were amazing for a PS2 game, and with the enhanced graphics on a PC emulator it's even more enjoyable.
I totally agree about the gameplay, it's greater with the Zodiac edition where you could pick a class for each of your characters.

Last edited:
Balthier, Ashe and Basch (and even Fran) were very good characters indeed. Vaan and Penelo are your generic FF characters, a light-hearted hero (Vaan/Cloud/Squall/Tidus) and an even more light-hearted young brat (Selphie/Rikku/etc.). They managed to keep some decency about those characters though, they're nowhere as annoying as Tidus or Selphie were for instance.

Didn´t play any FF game previous to FFX, so I can´t comment about them. But in FFX Tidus and Rikku, as annoying as they were, at least served their purpose to the plot. Vaan and Penelo could be discarded entirely, and nothing would be really lost.

I played FFXII (Zodiac edition) on PC with an emulator. This game is beautiful. The face "animations" and "cinematography" especially were amazing for a PS2 game, and with the enhanced graphics on a PC emulator it's even more enjoyable.

Yeah, I remember playing it on my PS2... it was jaw-dropping at the time.

My gf loves Tactics Ogre but I can't take turnbased gameplay anymore. Vagrant Story looked like dark stuff as well. FF12 was cut in half but it's still okay. Balthier was the true main character and he wasn't just a teen. He's actually a good character.

I like how everyone just treats the main character like he's just some normal dude(which he is)

What is going on with that ass-crack? :p

Thoughts on the new details about Resident Evil: Revelations 2? Claire is back. Episodic content (bleh). Barry's daughter. Co-op is back. Supposed to be more horror based than 5 and 6.

I've got reservations. Capcom doesn't seem to know what to do with the RE series anymore. And Claire looks kinda weird now. Very....frowny. Definitely doesn't look much like her from Code Veronica and the CG movies days.

Thoughts on the new details about Resident Evil: Revelations 2? Claire is back. Episodic content (bleh). Barry's daughter. Co-op is back. Supposed to be more horror based than 5 and 6.

I've got reservations. Capcom doesn't seem to know what to do with the RE series anymore. And Claire looks kinda weird now. Very....frowny. Definitely doesn't look much like her from Code Veronica and the CG movies days.

Mate, those pictures are showing a 403 error. I can't see them.

I only ever played the first game and it scared me off with that first zombie scene, so I never played it again. I'm such a chicken!

Top Bottom