Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
Let's see what they had to say in essence:

Dev 1: GamerGate was started as a PR campaign to defend Harassment. LOL.

Dev 2: GamerGate is damaging games.

Dev 3: GamerGate is tainted with misogyny and will never be taken seriously.

Dev 4: Harassment needs to stop before any serious conversation can happen.

Dev 5: The response by journalists with Gamers are dead was ridiculous and led to GamerGate, also incidentally the only reasonable person here.

Dev 6: Zoe Quinn suffered character assassination and yet the response by people to attack the trolls was foolish because they just poured gasoline into the fire.

Dev 7: Gamers are entitled.

Personally the only ones who deserve anything but ridicule for the shit they posted are devs 4, 5 and 6.

A retort to Watson's speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdolFBDERdA

Last edited:
@Jupiter on Mars, all I gotta say is the person who mentioned it is exactly right. Don't see a need to cover that when it's exactly the case. Just wanted to say that, since it was brought up. I'll leave it alone though.

Let's see what they had to say in essence:
Dev 6: Zoe Quinn suffered character assassination and yet the response by people to attack the trolls was foolish because they just poured gasoline into the fire.

Edit: Don't go there.

Mods don't delete this, please. It's relevant here as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
A reminder: The thread topic is game journalism and the ethics/morality within that subject. Further attempts to criticise ANYONE, in these forums or outside, for issues of personal morality unrelated to game journalism will not be entertained.

Last edited:
A reminder: The thread topic is game journalism and the ethics/morality within that subject. Any further attempts to criticise ANYONE, in these forums or outside, for issues of personal morality will not be entertained.

Isn't personal morality exactly the issue we're having with journalists in the first place? The topic I brought up shows the individual they support is willing to go through pretty desperate measures to gain attention.

Last edited:
Isn't personal morality exactly the issue we're having with journalists in the first place? The topic I brought up shows the individual they support is willing to go through pretty desperate measures to gain attention.

Morality conflicts might be an issue in journalism, but Zoe Quinn is not a gaming journalist. So let me ask you for the third - and last - time - don't go down that route.

Morality conflicts might be an issue in journalism, but Zoe Quinn is not a gaming journalist. So let me ask you for the third - and last - time - don't go down that route.

As I said, they're supporting her. That was my point.

But whatever, I'll drop it.

Moderator: A moderator order to refrain from disparaging the personal morality of others does not invite an argument over whether it is right or relevant to do so. Ad hominem arguments are by their very nature an unfair and dishonest evasion of the arguments raised by the party so attacked. They have no place in decent and orderly debate, and the moderator order to refrain from same was correct and in order and is to be followed.

Last edited:
I already said I'd drop it, and I don't appreciate being accused of ad hominems. My point was neither a fallacy, nor was it irrelevant. An ad hominem is only an argument that has nothing to do with said topic, and yet this does, because the person in question is shown taking lengths to gain attention reminiscent of the accusations of corruption in the gaming industry she was accused of, and the journalists are claiming the accusations are baseless.

Calling this an ad hominem is like someone bringing up the criminal history of a politician on trial, then the defenders of said politician claiming it's irrelevant, even if the crime history contains criminal acts of a similar nature.

Now, I'm aware this will probably get me into trouble, but I'm going to defend myself when someone posts at me, calling me out. Delete this, give a ban notice, whatever. I already said I was done, so if we're going to move on, then lets do so.

Last edited:
Some more articles on the matter:

https://medium.com/@oliverbcampbell/when-a-black-game-journalist-spoke-up-on-gamergate-a1f36421022

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnis...grand-theft-auto-v-and-the-feminazis-hate-it/

I wonder, just from a balance perspective, has there been any calm, reasonable reaction of the "anti-Gamergate" camp?

There was a girl I thought was like that. She didn't claim to be "anti gamergate", but she was, pretending to be neutral and asking for Emails answering questions about why we like gamergate. Then, she picked the worst answers and published them. I almost felt for it, except I'm lazy, lol, and I didn't see the point in giving all this effort to someone who basically is no one and wouldn't really do any good to spreading information in a wide spectrum.

https://twitter.com/ColonelKillaBee/status/510613909896568832

https://twitter.com/ColonelKillaBee/status/510611611174719489

Here's her trying to make something out of nothing with the fine young capitalists:

https://twitter.com/ColonelKillaBee/status/510575500411277312

Last edited:
Neutrality died a long time ago. It's them vs us now mentality. Some people cry out but when the only thing you're going to mention with regards to GamerGate is the alleged harassment then don't be surprised people call you out on that.

Journalists wonder why Youtubers are eclipsing them, well maybe it's that we as Youtubers don't feel the need to completely ignore what those that criticize us say? Just my 2cents as a small guy on YT.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
Anyone seen this yet?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/25/gamergate-an-issue-with-2-sides/

Techcrunch was one of the websites that jumped on the SJW bandwagon, but this is a remarkably fair article (though the shadowbanning thing is inaccurate—said user was shadowbanned prior to asking and had the question approved by people in charge despite said previously-existing shadowban). Hopefully it causes other sites to reconsider their unwillingness to delve into the actual happenings of the past month.

Anyone seen this yet?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/25/gamergate-an-issue-with-2-sides/

Techcrunch was one of the websites that jumped on the SJW bandwagon, but this is a remarkably fair article (though the shadowbanning thing is inaccurate—said user was shadowbanned prior to asking and had the question approved by people in charge despite said previously-existing shadowban). Hopefully it causes other sites to reconsider their unwillingness to delve into the actual happenings of the past month.

I like it. Says what I've been saying here. Politics.

It's a good honest article, and I'm glad they brought up Thompson too. Shows the bias of our society. Two young white women come out acting as victims, true or not (I say not) and people come rushing to their aid. What they're saying must be true.

Old white man, na he's a lunatic, no sympathy.

Good article. Very astute observation about it being not a case of one political side vs. the other, but about political people vs. the apolitical who don't respond to finger wagging.

Wow, I've read Tadgh Kelly's blog a time or two. Had no idea what a nasty piece of work he is.

Aaand... Cracked is unfollowed, too. That one hurt. I actually thought it was a better journalism site than some of the real journalism sites. Alas, no. I was willing to let the one anti-GG article pass, but a guest spot for you-know-who goes too far.

Last edited:
Thanks, tutu. I'd added techcrunch to my personal blacklist after the earlier article, and I was missing them. Good to see I can put them back.

When is The Onion going to do a piece on this already? Those guys don't hold back and I'm guessing they'd side with #GG.

When is The Onion going to do a piece on this already? Those guys don't hold back and I'm guessing they'd side with #GG.

Ah yes, a media outlet so inclusive they started to make people outside the US to pay to access it. They're dead to me.

South Park are the only comedy writers in the US that are honest, and thus, real comedians versus the "socially conscious" (read, meddling) pantywaists.

Top Bottom