The Witcher: Wild Hunt Recap Video

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I thought it wasn't official also because the video title has the word "recap" which are generally done by fans. But a few seconds in, it was obvious that it is official because of the quality and narration.

I love how the major mainstream sites just ignored this. I wonder if it's because of some exclusivity to the Xbox channel or it's just the journos going "booo hoooo, you gave it first to MS so fuck you we're not going to create any buzz around it".

Or maybe they are all just too busy with the preview of TW3, actually playing the game. Oh well.

Very nice recap video! Kickass art style, I liked this one much more than the ones from W2.

P.S. Was Im the only one who felt terrified when the old, ugly witch became into a beautiful girl?... That was some fu**ed up shit right there! I loved that part because it covered parts from the books about the "beauty" of the sorcerecess! Creepy stuff!

Last edited:
I think it looks childish. There is no grimness. The voice have somehow ridiculous intonation. Looks like it was made for kids. Authors definitely didn't read the book. Those who liked this cartoon hadn't read the book either.
All those camera movements, rotating picture… It looks like a cheap flash cartoon.
Is it April's fool yet?

While this was very good, especially in terms of the narration, I'm still more in favour of the rough pencilly minimalistic approach they went with for the animated flashback sequences in The Witcher 2. These conveyed the grit and grime of the Witcher universe way better than this. Probably because they also didn't exactly hold back with the extreme graphic violence.

On the other hand, this new trailer obviously is just meant as an introduction to the status quo you're going to be thrown into at the start of the game, including a bit of a history lesson on the conjunction of the spheres for the absolute newcomers, so it actually makes sense to keep it a bit more in check and 'softcore', so to speak.

We'll probably get another one or two maybe recapping the events that led to the current situation in The Witcher 3, and I wouldn't mind, at all, if those were more like this again, in terms of tone and pacing:

This is a step up from TW2, but I would still prefer the more traditional painting look of the first game. Like something that could've been painted by someone inside the witcher universe, as opposed to this more modern comic book aesthetic.

That was still pretty awesome though.

I remember the last time XBOX logo started to pop up in videos... DA:I anyone ? massive PC failure ?

I'm starting to worry...

I love how the major mainstream sites just ignored this. I wonder if it's because of some exclusivity to the Xbox channel or it's just the journos going "booo hoooo, you gave it first to MS so fuck you we're not going to create any buzz around it".

Or maybe they are all just too busy with the preview of TW3, actually playing the game. Oh well.

I noticed that as well, and I'm not sure why. Could be they've been getting a lot of TW3 materials for a long time, and they're more picky about what to post now. A shame since it seems like an important one to highlight.

CDPR isn't EA / BioWare...

---------- Updated at 01:54 PM ----------

@schinderhannes: "I'm still more in favour of the rough pencilly minimalistic approach they went with for the animated flashback sequences in The Witcher 2. These conveyed the grit and grime of the Witcher universe way better than this."

- Saying that it was "way better than this" is just purely your own opinion. For example I find this superior to the W2 cinematics. I found those too simplistic and quite ugly in terms of drawing... I also hated how Geralt was portraied as a monster. Yes he's a mutant but not ugly like in W2 cinematics, who looked completely out of Sapkowski's character to me. This is just on another level and I really hope that it will remain like that for the rest of the game.

Last edited:
I noticed that as well, and I'm not sure why. Could be they've been getting a lot of TW3 materials for a long time, and they're more picky about what to post now. A shame since it seems like an important one to highlight.

It think it's rather because it doesn't look official a first sight. It wasn't posted on any cd project red or witcher related channel/site/forum and it has "recap" in the headline, what is associated with fan-made for many people. I wasn't sure it's official after watching it the first time. I aussmed it because of the high quality, but only after visiting the forum I got the confirmation.

Personally I think that the artstyle of the flashbacks in The Witcher 2 was much more characteristic, sharp and reflective of all the madness around. It was also a fun nod toward the unfinished comic book that Geralt's original designer wanted to make, where the artstyle looked pretty similar (you can see a heavy inspiration with Simon Bisley work). This one looks good, but overall it's seems to be pretty standard. When I watched it I was mostly thinking "well, that should satisfy people complaining about The Witcher 2 flashbacks", instead of "wow, that's really something". While the artstyle looks a little too "safe" for my taste, I will however praise the animation style. In the previous game it seemed kinda weird at times (Geralt vs. Aryan for example), but here it looks much nicer and more fluid.

I don't miss oil paintings from the first game (as some of them looked really ugly and not in a good way, like in The Witcher 2), so I still gladly take this comic books style over it. Overall, it's good enough for me and I will have no problem if this is the kind of flashbacks we can expect in The Witcher 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom