The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt IS OFFICIAL!

+
if nothing else another years experience with the game engine insures some differences simply because they'll have discovered more efficient/effective ways to do things.

i loved when he talked about the city Novigrad

The city is a living breathing echosystem with several thousands of inhabitants. Everyone has their day and night activites. They make all of Novigrads four districts unique and characteristic places, worlds within a world to explore.

i cant wait to see Night City now.......

It is surprising how much info you can find on a CP2077 forum about The Witcher and how little (absolutely zero word so far after 2.5 years) about actual CP2077 :)

After watching that gameplay demo braindancer12 posted I'm REALLY thrilled.
And the gameplay itself isn't why.
It was the landscape art, the number and activities of NPCs, the very well done artwork as a whole. If anyone from CDPR reads this please do me the favor of passing along my appreciation to your art department and whoever is in charge of deciding what background activity to should be present in the game.

So.

Witcher 3 is coming.

Everyone should take a renewed interest - if for no other reason that as far as we know, this is the game engine that CP2077 will be using. Much modified, no doubt.

Lots of stuff coming in the next week. I encourage you all to take a look and if you aren't interested in trying it yet, maybe just look at it in terms of what you want to see in animation, graphics fidelity, mounts, etc.

News here:

http://www.vg247.com/2015/01/24/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-pc-ps4-xbox-one-twitch/

Oh, yes, @wisdom000, what version do you want me to buy for you? PS4, right? YOU WILL BY GOD LEARN TO LOVE THIS GAME.

Dunno. I should be anticipating more the more I see... but the effect is contrary. The more I see of the Witcher 3, the more it looks like a game not really catering to me all that much; and the more it looks like that, the more I get the sense that CP might just follow suit with the "winning formula".

Dunno. I should be anticipating more the more I see... but the effect is contrary. The more I see of the Witcher 3, the more it looks like a game not really catering to me all that much; and the more it looks like that, the more I get the sense that CP might just follow suit with the "winning formula".

Yeah. Kofe, it might not be for you. It definitely leans towards the real-time action RPG element as opposed to the Divinity Original Sin RPG game style.

Witcher 1 and 2 were both real-time action-style as well, after all. It is their winning formula.

But Cyberpunk 2077 will also be real-time action combat. Absolutely. I would be shocked if it was any other.

Maybe you could learn to like/tolerate the style? The RPG aspects are still among my favourite.

Witcher 1 and 2 were both real-time action-style as well, after all. It is their winning formula.

But Cyberpunk 2077 will also be real-time action combat. Absolutely. I would be shocked if it was any other.

I can easily deal with "Skyrim" or "Fallout" style combat. I HAVE not played any of the Witcher games because from what I can see from YouTube they're typical console stye action games (combat wise).
I just hope they add some sort of "pause" feature to the game and don't get too "FPS". Personally this is my #1 concern conceding the game, as I've said before, and will keep saying, hoping the folks at CDPR take note and keep this in mind when doing the combat system.

I can easily deal with "Skyrim" or "Fallout" style combat. I HAVE not played any of the Witcher games because from what I can see from YouTube they're typical console stye action games (combat wise).

I find Witcher combat and Skyrim combat to be quite similar - only Witcher is better.

Just set Combat diff to Easy or Medium and you'll have fun.

"typical console style action game" is so generic it's almost meanginless to me. Dark Souls? Prince of Persia? Infamous? Skyrim? Those are all console-style action games.

Cyberpunk is highly unlikely to be less action-focussed than Witcher 2 and 3. 2 has done superbly and 3 will probably do better, sales and goals-met-wise. They'd be nuts to change what works so well to any drastic degree.

I think if combat is a real stumbling block to enjoyment, do what one of the lead creators does - set it to Easy andplay it for the story. That's really the best part.

Last edited:
"typical console style action game" is so generic it's almost meanginless to me. Dark Souls? Prince of Persia? Infamous? Skyrim? Those are all console-style action games.

Mario.
Split second timing and positioning required to successfully jump etc.

Mario.

Oh yeah. I hate those, generally. Sort of like a game made of Quicktime Events. Ugh.

Fix: set it on Easy. Voila.

Witcher combat really is a lot like Skyrim, though. Melee with block and dodge, cast magic in between if you want. I think you'd find it familair and not too troubling.

Mario.

No, definitely not like that. And people who tried to play TW2 by just wading into fights and spamming the buttoms tended to see Geralt die an awful lot. You win by thinking strategy/tactics, not by the speed your fingers can move.

TW1 was the first "action" RPG I'd ever played. It took me about an hour to get accustomed to it. Same again on TW2, and I did my first playthroughs on both games on Easy.

Yeah. Kofe, it might not be for you. It definitely leans towards the real-time action RPG element as opposed to the Divinity Original Sin RPG game style.

Maybe you could learn to like/tolerate the style? The RPG aspects are still among my favourite.

It's not even that it has "action" combat. I liked games like Witcher 1, Risen, Gothic, Morrowind, etc. just fine. It's how the gameplay seems to be arranged and how it appears to be working that puts me slightly off. It all looks very pretty, but also somewhat bland... narratives aside.

I don't really mind it in general; Witcher is Witcher. But I hope the CP team has other kind of ideas on how to employ cRPG gameplay and structure, and the general understanding that there're more ways to make an RPG than slapping some CYOA stuff on top of a slightly spiced up action adventure. I know they know that... And I hope they have the willingness to explore the possibilities of the genre on a broader spectrum as the ideals of the current mainstream where they no doubt aim for are extremely narrow and unnecessarily simplistic/streamlined.

They'd be nuts to change what works so well to any drastic degree.

Isn't that a pretty narrow point of view.

Wouldn't it be wise for them to just keep making Witcher games since that works so well? Why deviate, why try anything else? It implies that there's not much else to do that could work as well, even if to a different degree. It sounds like the Bethesda style creative bankruptcy. Make practically the same game for a quarter of a century (regardless of the franchise that's being used), just update the graphics and streamline more per every subsequent title. Profit guaranteed, but... You know.

Last edited:
I actually do not think the Elder Scrolls games combat is the same as the Witcher games.

They are both hack and slash kinds of games... but up two different branches on that "hack and slash" tree.

In my mind you play both of them compleatly differently.

For one, your not going to see your character in the Elder Scolls game zip back and forth between enemies like you can see in Witcher at times... or instantly turn around and attack someone behind your character. The Witcher games seems to me like they do to some extent auto-lock you to opponents in the game, so when you press to attack your character will go for that enemy no matter where it was. Where as in Elder Scrolls you mostly have to aim all of your attacks in the right direction to even have a chance to hit the opponent... You also have to move your self close enough to hit in the first place, where as it seems like the game can do that to some extent for you in the Witcher games.

Also, from what I can see, and from what I remember about playing Witcher 1 all those years ago, once you start an attack in the Witcher games your sort of... stuck... either stationary, or in the direction your character moves when attacking... Where as in the Elder Scrolls games when you swing your weapon your still fully able to move in any direction you want to basically. I think the same goes for magic and other such things to as well.

In many ways, to me, Elder Scrolls games seem much more PC friendly, where as the Witcher games seems more console friendly, when it comes to combat atleast.

Hummmm ...
I've been hoping sometime someone I know will buy one of the "Witcher" games so I could give it a test run before I waste money on yet another game I'd love to play but can't.
BUT if it plays similar to "Skyrim" I can deal with that.
* Checks her budget and thinks ... "next month" *

Witcher 1 won't tell you what Witcher 3 combat will be like, but it is a good way of easing in to action RPGs if you've never played them before.

Top Bottom