Metal gear solid v! Tpp & gz

+
So, CoD:MW2's plot, then :p

Metal Gear is different than any other game storytelling out there, it's strangeness and japanese weirdness makes Metal Gear it's own genre of storytelling, like @shinobi2u, said sometimes it is really damn silly and sometimes it is really philosophically deep and makes you think (like the War Economy in MGS4, which is basically the most horrifying thing I have ever seen in a media ever) and some really silly stuff like Otacon's family ...

And each MGS game has its own essence and style, like MGS3 was basically a james bond movie while MGS4 was something else entirely.

Is the MGS story actually worth getting into? My understanding is that it's fairly basic (CoD-level stuff,) at best.

MGS is worth getting into imo and it is definitely not basic COD-level generic stuff, it is a story of political intrigue (with a little bit of weird supernatural japanese bullshit) but with really interesting characters and moral lessons learnt throughout the series.

MGS2 however was a mad game though, but it had an interesting story involving the patriots AI and some really prophetic predictions by Kojima back in 2002.

Keep an open-mind and try the series out, damn lizard, you may actually like it :p

So, CoD:MW2's plot, then :p
I don't remember anything about MW2. Black ops did what Spec Ops: the line did years before and got no praise though. MGS2 came out in 2001 (And just 2 months after 9/11). Funnily, MGS2 predicts a lot about the Internet and even games like what COD has become to some people. I think if you like a series like Deus Ex's story then you'd like MGS. Not to mention even the marketing of MGS2 was part of the big picture. Advertising that you can play as Snake (And then you play as him for one part and that's it) is part of the message of the game.

Metal Gear is different than any other game storytelling out there, it's strangeness and japanese weirdness makes Metal Gear it's own genre of storytelling, like @shinobi2u , said sometimes it is really damn silly and sometimes it is really philosophically deep and makes you think (like the War Economy in MGS4, which is basically the most horrifying thing I have ever seen in a media ever) and some really silly stuff like Otacon's family ...

And each MGS game has its own essence and style, like MGS3 was basically a james bond movie while MGS4 was something else entirely.

MGS is worth getting into imo and it is definitely not basic COD-level generic stuff, it is a story of political intrigue (with a little bit of weird supernatural japanese bullshit) but with really interesting characters and moral lessons learnt throughout the series.

MGS2 however was a mad game though, but it had an interesting story involving the patriots AI and some really prophetic predictions by Kojima back in 2002.

Keep an open-mind and try the series out, damn lizard, you may actually like it :p

Meh, sounds like all the anime people keep praising, yet I just find silly once I actually try to look for details. I think you should look more into CoD, by the sounds of it, if you think that what you've described is unusual. There's a lot (and I do mean a lot) of just stupid stuff in there, but there are also some interesting things that can come out of CoD's plot. Still generic and largely unimpressive in terms of story, but I think the same thing applies to MGS (heck, they even have Jack Bauer as the protagonist's VA.)

Meh, sounds like all the anime people keep praising, yet I just find silly once I actually try to look for details. I think you should look more into CoD, by the sounds of it, if you think that what you've described is unusual. There's a lot (and I do mean a lot) of just stupid stuff in there, but there are also some interesting things that can come out of CoD's plot. Still generic and largely unimpressive in terms of story, but I think the same thing applies to MGS.

You dare call me an anime fan? I am definitely not, but MGS is the only japanese thing that I really like so far.

Damn trolling lizard comparing COD to MGS :p

If only a more detailed MGS3 health/injury system came back

If only a more detailed MGS3 health/injury system came back
Yeah... I miss it... one of my fav thing about MGS3 was the health system, definitely something Kojima should introduce again. No need to explain my reaction to that new system used in Ground Zeroes...

---------- Updated at 01:02 PM ----------

Sometimes it gets silly, other times it's great.
Summing up MGS series in a single line, besides that it has a great storytelling style imho.

Anyway silly moment in MGS2... ooooh.

Yeah... I miss it... one of my fav thing about MGS3 was the health system, definitely something Kojima should introduce again. No need to explain my reaction to that new system used in Ground Zeroes...

---------- Updated at 01:02 PM ----------

Summing up MGS series in a single line, besides that it has a great storytelling style imho.

Anyway silly moment in MGS2... ooooh.

3 really was the best one in every regard - story, characters, game design.

Rep, if you are going to check out Metal Gear at all, start with Snake Eater and see if it vibes with you. It is technically the beginning of the story anyways.

Metal Gear is different than any other game storytelling out there, it's strangeness and japanese weirdness makes Metal Gear it's own genre of storytelling, like @shinobi2u, said sometimes it is really damn silly and sometimes it is really philosophically deep and makes you think (like the War Economy in MGS4, which is basically the most horrifying thing I have ever seen in a media ever) and some really silly stuff like Otacon's family ...

I've played MGS1 a very long time ago, and I just loved it. The story, the gameplay, dialogues, everything and especially the music.
So now I got my hands on MGS 2-3 for my Playstation 2.. and I have no idea why I never thought about getting them earlier. Finished MGS2 two weeks ago, MGS3 today and I was blown away. Indeed there is a lot of silly japanese stuff like Fatman with his roller skates but that was part of the story anyway. The story is very good, I did notice those small things while playing that the AI pointed out in the end, like the infiltration of the plant being similar to MGS1 and all that. And then the revelation of a simulation and all, it was damn good. Kojima is a genius, I didn't think the story's complexity can be topped out in MGS3.
Edit - don't know about you guys, but I didn't really like Raiden's character, but I might try getting MGS revengeance, see how that is.

Then I realized I was wrong lol. I just finished it today, and I think it's the best MGS of them all. The new setting was awesome, hunting for food, the health, stamina system (dat stomach growl when you get hungry, also japanese instant noodles lol) was very well done. My god they did some amazing job with the cinematic scenes in this game, I felt like I'm watching an actual movie. It was top-notch, and the graphics were very good for a PS2. The story was the best of all.. it was nice to see who actually Big Boss is and where he comes from, what happened to him, how he got that iconic bandana (note that I thought in Ground Zeroes you play as Solid Snake but was confused as to why he has an eye-patch when he doesn't in MGS1 and it is years later, so now I understand it all). The gameplay had some nice new changes like the finally rotatable camera, interrogation, suppressors getting worn out, all that. I'm gonna do the whole third game again, it was fantastic.

Last edited:
Edit - don't know about you guys, but I didn't really like Raiden's character, but I might try getting MGS revengeance, see how that is.

I don't know about Revengeance yet, but in MGS4 he was likeable, too likeable that I actually don't want to play Revengeance because in the ending of MGS4 his story gets a real closure.

If you can, play MGS4 or watch a playthrough, it's worth it, really damn worth it.

I don't know about Revengeance yet, but in MGS4 he was likeable, too likeable that I actually don't want to play Revengeance because in the ending of MGS4 his story gets a real closure.

If you can, play MGS4 or watch a playthrough, it's worth it, really damn worth it.

Oh, didn't even know he is in MGS4 as well, lol. I know Solid Snake's kinda older in it due to his advanced aging.
Yeah, sadly I don't own a PS3, so I will have to DL a playthrough.. or are the cinematic scenes enough?

Oh, didn't even know he is in MGS4 as well, lol. I know Solid Snake's kinda older in it due to his advanced aging.
Yeah, sadly I don't own a PS3, so I will have to DL a playthrough.. or are the cinematic scenes enough?

MGS4 is like 60% cutscenes, but it's one of those very few games that made me actually shed manly tears over characters in a video game, it's awesome, my favourite of the series (though MGS3 is very very close second).

Revengeance is not really canon, but it is fun as hell to play, so it's worth it just for that. Plus if you want to see Raiden's killer side that you get more of a glimpse of in 4, it's worth checking out.

And second that about 4, it is at least half movie with all the cutscenes it has, but definitely worth watching through them on YouTube or something if you want to see Solid Snake's 'final' chapter (unless Hideo really, REALLY can't let him go).

3 really was the best one in every regard - story, characters, game design.

Rep, if you are going to check out Metal Gear at all, start with Snake Eater and see if it vibes with you. It is technically the beginning of the story anyways.
I don't think playing in chronological order is a good idea for your first play through. The series isn't done fully and switching from MGS3/Peace walker/GZ/MGSV mechanics to MGS1/2 is going to make them a chore for some people I think. Plus, it's cool to see the evolution of the series gameplay and stuff. Though, if you want to just play ONE game in the series then MGS3 is probably the best one.

Playing in release order I think is the way to go.

Is the MGS story actually worth getting into? My understanding is that it's fairly basic (CoD-level stuff,) at best.
If you can deal with the ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS writing, it's definitely worth getting into yes
(That's not a joke btw, story's worth getting into but the writing is godawful)

Last edited:
Top Bottom