Pillars of Eternity

+
@Gilrond-i-Virdan No problem, sir :) .

Man, I must be dense to not have seen what was goin' on with
Aloth's seemingly random outbursts ahead of time.
I actually loled at that revelation.

I'm a little disappointed with the NPC quests. They're moderately interesting and tie in with the main adventure, but feel somewhat... Inconsequential. I'd like there to be personality progression or changes of some sort.

In other news, floor 14 of Caed Nua.

Last edited:
Floor 15...
is kind of ridiculous. I still try to figure out how not to get one-hitted. :dizzy:

I agree. Sort of like a joke considering how easy the rest of the dungeon is. I think a way to deal with it would be:

Finely crafting a custom-made party where everyone complements each other perfectly in combat, with special emphasis on whatever resistances (fortitude?) are needed for the breath weapon. At this point, I could just recruit top level henchmen and equip them easily :p

I tried cheesing it up and laying magical and mechanical traps underneath the dragon but I only get one dot out. Playing on hard seems to make it really hard to even get a cheesy victory.

So for this playthrough, I was satisfied with the alternative solution and letting the dragon fly away. After all, my main mission is to wreak havoc and chaos on the Dyrwood, and I only happen to be after Thaos because my life seems to depend on it. If you think about it, dragons are probably on the verge of extinction too.

That dealt with, I am heading towards Twin Elms to choose a deity and then off to the island.

I like the game a lot, but I get a feeling it's very heavy on combat (i.e. there is really a lot of it). Was it also the case with Baldur's Gate games?

Not sure if this is a retarded/obvious question, but does this game have branching storylines a la TW1 & 2? And maybe a similar choice and consequence system? I've been looking for a good RPG to play.

Branching not so much (or at all) but there's a decent amount of choice and consequence happening, including some really tough calls, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Although you may not be able to conclude some things in the way you'd like since resolutions or dialogue options depend on your stats and your reputation/affiliation with different factions in some cases. Which, obviously, can backfire or bite you in the ass in ways you wouldn't have thought things would unravel. But that's exactly the beauty of it.
Might be difficult to start and finish PoE until Wild Hunt launches though.

The price is way too high when you compare how much work was put into The Witcher 3 compare to Pillar of Eternity. Pillar of Eternity is worth $15 or $20 at best.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Pillars has a lot of attention to detail, extensive writing, narrative and lore, dialogue trees based on attributes and reputations, and so on. Most of what we know about The Witcher 3 is it has awesome graphics, and probably good writing based on the two previous games. Judging by what gameplay videos there are, we can often choose between 2 or 3 different things to say. And if it's anything like TW2, everything will revolve around combat.

This may not be the game for you but it is undeniably quite good, with a lot of content and replay value. And this is coming from a long time Witcher fan.

You better stay away from blockbusters like Tomb Raider. They're essentially 12 hour long movies with QTEs thrown in.

The price is way too high when you compare how much work was put into The Witcher 3 compare to Pillar of Eternity. Pillar of Eternity is worth $15 or $20 at best.

The price they ask is about right. They put a lot of work in it - don't underestimate their efforts. Did you see the amount of writing they did? And art in the game is simply beautiful. I'm not even saying that efforts which go into actually designing mechanics are also a huge feat, and they did a massive job there. Plus it's a crowdfunded DRM-free project which released Linux version on day one (unlike TW3). I bought it after the release at full price (game + soundtrack edition) because developers deserve it.

Might be difficult to start and finish PoE until Wild Hunt launches though.

Not sure if I'll finish it before TW3 will come out (November?) but I might :)

Last edited:
Are you f-ing kidding me? Pillars has a lot of attention to detail, extensive writing, narrative and lore, dialogue trees based on attributes and reputations, and so on. Most of what we know about The Witcher 3 is it has awesome graphics, and probably good writing based on the two previous games. Judging by what gameplay videos there are, we can often choose between 2 or 3 different things to say. And if it's anything like TW2, everything will revolve around combat.

This may not be the game for you but it is undeniably quite good, with a lot of content and replay value. And this is coming from a long time Witcher fan.

You better stay away from blockbusters like Tomb Raider. They're essentially 12 hour long movies with QTEs thrown in.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the game is similar to one of my favorite RPG game of all time, Baldur's Gate 2. I know that it has amazing attention to detail and everything you said. I am a huge fan of these type of game.

Perhaps I am wrong, but the game is similar to one of my favorite RPG game of all time, Baldur's Gate 2. I know that it has amazing attention to detail and everything you said. I am a huge fan of these type of game.

BG games were definitely a direct inspiration for Pillars of Eternity. Even big portrait images resolutions match 1:1!

How exactly is fatigue calculated? For example I have this debuff:

Code:
Minor Fatigue: -5 All Defences, -10 Accuracy, x0.9 Maximum Damage

Plus this buff:
Code:
Goldrot Chew
-80 Fatiuge (615.1 sec)

So I'm not sure what -80 Fatigue means in this context. 80% less than what Fatigue shows?

Yeah Pillars of Eternity screams BG2 everywhere, with soft hints of Torment. Then you should be able to appreciate the amount of work that went into it, from writers to artists to level designers. PoE features reimagined, functional classes, and the interactions are much better than in BG2. Keep in mind this was crowdfunded with a fraction of the budget for a game like TW3, with multi OS support from day 1. It really is great value even if you pay 60 dollars.

---------- Updated at 10:45 PM ----------

How exactly is fatigue calculated? For example I have this debuff:

Code:
Minor Fatigue: -5 All Defences, -10 Accuracy, x0.9 Maximum Damage

Plus this buff:
Code:
Goldrot Chew
-80 Fatiuge (615.1 sec)

So I'm not sure what -80 Fatigue means in this context. 80% less than what Fatigue shows?

This is how I understand it. Fatigue runs on a discrete, decimal scale, likely with negative minimums and positive maximums. There are fatigue categories with limits defined by your athletics level, so for instance a value of 16 is minor fatigue with athletics 0 but with athletics 10 you need 22.4 to achieve minor fatigue. Status altering consumables like goldrot chew probably simply decrease this number, likely removing the fatigue debuffs temporarily. Combat, travel and interactions may add fatigue, although I don't know exactly how much.

I think all characters benefit from a medium athletics level of around 5, so you don't have to sleep all the time. My main fighter, Edér, has over 10 athletics and he's unstoppable.

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Status_Effects

Last edited:
Top Bottom