Small mod for W2 EE

+
Small mod for W2 EE

Finished testing my mod, gave to my friends and decided to share it here.
What it does:
1. Item changes
1.1 Weight of all recipes, quest items, schematics, books, junk and ingredients removed.
1.2 Slightly increased weight of all other items
1.3 Removed Minor and Major mutagens
1.4 Reduced all bonuses to max weight by roughly twice or more
1.5 Act 3 dark swords now have +1 to adrenaline on hit
1.6 All Dark silver swords now have 1 rune slot
1.7 Mahakam rune sihil (imported from W1) now have higher damage
1.8 Melitele's Heart now have better stats
1.9 Vitality steal from dark swords now only works when you complete a set
1.10 Changed stats of some mutagens
2. Stat changes
1.1 Replaced talent Impregnation - instead of increasing mutagen effects it now gives vitality regeneration while intoxicated
1.2 Added new stat - vitality regeneration while intoxicated (similar to vigor regeneration while intoxicated)
1.3 Reduced maximum weight Geralt can carry to 100
3. Shop changes
3.1 DLC items moved to Act 1 Mysterious Merchant (no longer available at the start of the game)
3.2 Some quest items can now be sold in shops
3.3 Other quest items can now be placed in player storage
3.4 Most quest related ingredients are no longer tagged as quest and can spawn in some shops
3.5 Price ratio now changes based on item quality instead of a static 50x difference between merchant price and player price.
4. UI Changes
4.1 Improved character stats screen
4.2 Added ability to localize user content package names and descriptions (in config.ini use some generic strings like "my_mod_name", "my_mod_description" and localize them in XX_user.w2strings files)
5. Visual changes
5.1 Built-in Extreme Quality Flora mod by EatChildren
5.2 Built-in Return of the White Wolf mod by Wednesday17
5.3 Increased delay before dead bodies dissappear to 5 minutes
5.4 Non-empty containers now always glow, no need to use medallion
5.5 Fullscreen dark effect is only shown when you do not have a full set (the one that changes colors). If you have a full set only screen border effect and background sound effect is played
6. Gameplay changes
6.1 Medallion cooldown reduced to 2 seconds from 10
6.2 Combat mode wears off after 2 seconds instead of 10
6.3 Non-quest items with zero weight (ingredients and junk) are now auto-looted from corpses (no longer needed to loot manually). You still need to loot other items manually. Auto-loot only works in close range to prevent getting loot from monsters killed by other monsters somewhere on the map.
6.4 Quen no longer completely removes vigor regeneration. Vigor is regenerated while Quen is active at a slower rate (10 times slower in combat and 2 times slower out of combat)
7. Mod fixes some russian tooltips that were poorly translated (hence larger ru_user.w2strings file)
8. Fixed a bug with game talent reset - mutagens were not removed properly (talents are reset when loading a game saved without mod or in act 3 quest)

Mod must be manually enabled by editing UserContent.ini because I do not know how to generate cook.hash file without REDkit. I didn't test it for compatibilty with other mods, but I can definetely say that it's incompatible with most of the mods that change items or gameplay. I completed the game with the mod on both sides to test that I didn't break anything. Mod is only for english or russian version of the game. Russian strings file is a lot larger because I also fixed a lot of tooltips and descriptions in russian translation (there are some poorly translated thing here and there).

I couldn't upload it into attachments so I just uploaded it to MEGA:
Mod https://mega.co.nz/#!bpFB1AIZ!4Mjr5CJFSImh2mAmh9L9FYZ0lyTDR1ALpsnXKcJgO7g
Source https://mega.co.nz/#!H482FQbA!rFHptyBaWR0Vpgt86a-lXRk5I5inREZau5OAAAxXhgY
Launcher https://mega.co.nz/#!foFyCK6Z!ua1AmNZkhzOGIu52_bK5ixMRPEKvF4RnV5J2EBemQ5E

Be aware that if you load your game saved without mod your talents will be reset and you'll lose all your minor and major mutagens. Also if you save the game with mod and then load it without mod your mutagen slots will be lost due to game implementation of mutagens.
I also included my Launcher.exe which can be used as a replacement for launcher. Because it's no longer needed and actually doesn't even work properly (Register game for example will always give errors and so on), so I made a simple app that just runs witcher2.exe. If you do not trust 3rd party binaries (and for a good reason) you can compile it yourself with fasm, code below (I used fasm because it's lightweight and I didn't have anything else on my home pc that can compile win32 binaries):
Code:
format PE GUI 6.0
entry start

include 'win32w.inc'

section '.text' code readable executable
  start:
    call WinMain

proc WinMain
    invoke CreateProcess, process.lpW2Exec, NULL, NULL, NULL, FALSE,\
                          HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS, NULL, process.lpW2Bin,\
                          process.lpStartInfo, process.lpProcInfo
    test eax, eax
    jz .error
    invoke CloseHandle, [process.lpProcInfo.hProcess]
    invoke CloseHandle, [process.lpProcInfo.hThread]
    .exit:
      invoke ExitProcess, 0
    .error:
      invoke GetLastError
      invoke FormatMessage, [error.dwFormatSpec], NULL, eax, LANG_NEUTRAL,\
                            error.lpErrorMessage, 0, NULL
      test eax, eax
      jz .exit
      invoke MessageBox, NULL, [error.lpErrorMessage], NULL, MB_ICONERROR+MB_OK
      invoke LocalFree, [error.lpErrorMessage]
      jmp .exit
  endp

section '.data' data readable writeable
  process:
    .lpProcInfo PROCESS_INFORMATION
    .lpStartInfo STARTUPINFO
    .lpW2Exec TCHAR '.\bin\witcher2.exe',0
    .lpW2Bin TCHAR '.\bin',0

error:
    .lpErrorMessage dd NULL
    .dwFormatSpec dd FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER+FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM+FORMAT_MESSAGE_ARGUMENT_ARRAY

section '.idata' import data readable writeable

library kernel,'KERNEL32.DLL',\
          user,'USER32.DLL'

import kernel,\
         ExitProcess,'ExitProcess',\
         CreateProcess,'CreateProcessW',\
         FormatMessage,'FormatMessageW',\
         LocalFree,'LocalFree',\
         GetLastError,'GetLastError',\
         CloseHandle,'CloseHandle'

import user,\
         MessageBox,'MessageBoxW'

section '.rsrc' resource data readable

; resource directory

directory RT_ICON,icons,\
            RT_GROUP_ICON,group_icons,\
            RT_VERSION,versions

; resource subdirectories

resource icons,\
           1,LANG_NEUTRAL,idMainIcon

resource group_icons,\
           17,LANG_NEUTRAL,igMainIcon

resource versions,\
           1,LANG_NEUTRAL,version

icon igMainIcon,idMainIcon,'witcher2.ico'

versioninfo version,VOS__WINDOWS32,VFT_APP,VFT2_UNKNOWN,LANG_ENGLISH+SUBLANG_DEFAULT,0,\
              'FileDescription','Witcher 2 Launcher',\
              'LegalCopyright','No rights reserved',\
              'FileVersion','1.0',\
              'ProductVersion','1.0',\
              'OriginalFilename','LAUNCHER.EXE'

Last edited:
Small updage to the mod:
Mod https://mega.co.nz/#!Xhs13LQJ!aedbw4Z2SULESbOqjq9drTOfOmz_HcPpmkOSXLhNP9k
Source https://mega.co.nz/#!m0NHUDxJ!v75WQZAASJza4xwmE2VCG6WdA8z8aHRmQwe6BgOvns0

1. Now fullscreen dark effect is only shown when you do not have a full set (the one that changes colors). If you have a full set only screen border effect and background sound effect is played.
2. Fixed english tooltips for quest ingredients (accidentally replaced with russian tooltips by find&replace in original mod)
3. Dwarven immortelle is now sold by Cori after you complete the quest, seemed like a better & easier solution (she will not sell it until you complete the quest)
4. Added Quest tag to Seltkirk's Armor (accidentally removed it in the original mod) - can't be sold now, only placed in player storage

Also in the original post forgot to mention several changes:
1. Non-quest items with zero weight (ingredients and junk) is now auto-looted from corpses (no longer needed to loot manually). You still need to loot other items manually.
2. Non-empty containers now always glow, no need to use medallion
3. Medallion cooldown reduced to 2 seconds from 10
4. Combat mode wears off after 2 seconds instead of 10
5. Vigor is regenerated while Quen is active. Regeneration rate is 10 times slower in combat and 2 times slower outside of combat while Quen is active.

Last edited:
This is my first time modding the game, and I have a question. Where is this usercontent folder you speak of? I can't find it anywhere.

Also when you say your traits get reset, those that mean all the points you used before, will be returned and you can reapply them again? is that what you mean when you say reset?

Last edited:
Depends on the patch. If you have 3.4.0, then it will be %UserProfile%/Documents/Witcher 2/UserContent (you might need to create it), if you have patch 3.4.1 then you can manually setup path to this folder in %UserProfile%/Documents/Witcher 2/Config/UserContent.ini

Here is my UserContent.ini for example:
Code:
[Configuration]
mods_directory="D:\Games\The Witcher 2\UserContent"

[Packages]
Mount=w2_enhanced
As for the points - yes. You will have all you talent points after reset. So if you were level 30 you will get 29 talent points. But you'll lose all your mutagen enhancements and you will lose all your major and minor mutagens in inventory.

Last edited:
Depends on the patch. If you have 3.4.0, then it will be %UserProfile%/Documents/Witcher 2/UserContent (you might need to create it), if you have patch 3.4.1 then you can manually setup path to this folder in %UserProfile%/Documents/Witcher 2/Config/UserContent.ini

Here is my UserContent.ini for example:
Code:
[Configuration]
mods_directory="D:\Games\The Witcher 2\UserContent"

[Packages]
Mount=w2_enhanced
As for the points - yes. You will have all you talent points after reset. So if you were level 30 you will get 29 talent points. But you'll lose all your mutagen enhancements and you will lose all your major and minor mutagens in inventory.

Ok cool thanks a lot. One last question, if I store my mutagens in my storage will they too be affected?

Yes, when the game detects item with (NoShow,NoDrop) tags in player inventory or storage - they are removed (except for hair, belts, tattoo and some other things, that for some reason also technically invisible "items" in inventory) . But I'm not sure if they will be removed as soon as you load a game or when you open storage, never tested it. You will still have normal mutagens though. If you just want to try - backup you last save and try to play with mod, if you do not like it - just reload from you last save.

Last edited:
Cool thanks a lot man. I'll do that :D

UPDATE: OK i just tried it out

1. The only mutagens that don't disappear are EPIC lvl mutagens. All "lesser" mutagens disappear from both storage and inventory
2. Traits are not the only thing that resets.
a. Your carrying capacity lvl also resets
b. (maybe other things reset too...will update if I find more)

Now I'm going to experiment on how to keep lesser mutagens. Buy selling the mutagens first then apply the mod and then re-buy the mutagens

---------- Updated at 11:40 PM ----------

UPDATE 2: Will it seems the lesser mutagens i have sold got upgraded to EPIC lvl mutagens. Which I have find weird, not all mutated traits can use "EPIC" lvl mutagens. Also for this mod I recommend you add a storage increase, or a weightless option. Because once the mod is applied the storage resets beyond the default 250, but too 145 maximum capacity.

Last edited:
That is intended. I removed all major and minor mutagens and changed all normal mutagens to epic quality. You can't keep minor and major mutagens. I removed them from game in mod, because in original game I always felt like I'm losing mutagen slot if I use minor or normal mutagen on it. All mutagens should now be relatively equal. And there are no restriction on which abilities you can use mutagens - every mutagen can be used on any ability with mutagen slot.
Max weight is changed to 100 to make other change (removed weight from junk, ingredients) balanced. In original game most of your inventory space was taken by ingredients and materials, but if you put them in the storage you can take arsenal of weapons and armor with you. I wanted to change that to work similar to W1 - you can only take a few weapons/armors with you, but as many ingredients as you want. Also because of my changes to shops you can sell a single armor/swords for more orens than 5 swords in the original game.
And no - talent build and mutagens is the only thing that is reset with my mod. Everything else is just stat changes and will be restored if you reload game without mod.

Also, I played with my mod through entire game and I had only 2 times when I got message that I was carrying to much weight - in prologue when I picked up everything (just dropped some leather jackets) and in kaedweni camp on Iorveth side (no merchant - too many weapon racks).

Last edited:
That is intended. I removed all major and minor mutagens and changed all normal mutagens to epic quality. You can't keep minor and major mutagens. I removed them from game in mod, because in original game I always felt like I'm losing mutagen slot if I use minor or normal mutagen on it.
Max weight is changed to 100 to make other change (removed weight from junk, ingredients) balanced. In original game most of your inventory space was taken by ingredients and materials, but if you put them in the storage you can take arsenal of weapons and armor with you. I wanted to change that to work similar to W1 - you can only take a few weapons/armors with you, but as many ingredients as you want. Also because of my changes to shops you can sell a single armor/swords for more orens than 5 swords in the original game.
And no - talent build and mutagens is the only thing that is reset with my mod. Everything else is just stat changes and will be restored if you reload game without mod.

Ok I see i understand pretty in what you are doing. BUT, like I stated before not all mutated traits CAN use EPIC lvl mutagens. When I tried to assign the EPIC lvl mutagens to mutate traits that are early in the trait tree, they won't assign. Only traits near the end of the trait trees can use EPIC lvl mutagens, except the training trait tree which cannot use EPIC lvl mutagens at all. I'm not sure if that was intended by the game creators, or an error in the mod. Overall that's only thing that's wrong with this amazing mod.

Can you please give me your save? I'll test it. If that is so, I'll just change quality of mutagens to rare. I've never seen such restriction.

Ok, found a reason. There seem to be a bug with player ClearBuild function - it doesn't actually remove mutagen enhancements, even though it shows that there are no mutagens inserted. It seems this bug is also in the original game, because I used the same function, that is called when you reset talents at vran operator in a3.
I will post and updated version soon (after I make sure everything works).

Small update:
1. Now auto-loot works only in a close range (roughly the same as average igni/aarg range). This is to prevent getting auto-loot from monsters randomly killing each other somewhere on the map (looked kinda strange)
2. Fixed small visual glitch in a3

Download links:
Mod https://mega.co.nz/#!bpFB1AIZ!4Mjr5CJFSImh2mAmh9L9FYZ0lyTDR1ALpsnXKcJgO7g
Source https://mega.co.nz/#!H482FQbA!rFHptyBaWR0Vpgt86a-lXRk5I5inREZau5OAAAxXhgY

Also added updated description into original post and removed outdated links. This is likely to be the final version unless I find a way to make my custom container highlight effect work (less flashy). For now game just doesn't pick up my changes in chest_glow_fx.w2ent I made with REDkit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom