The Yennefer/Triss choice in TW3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. It seems apparent to me that they didn't know how they would end the series, and that they opted to pseudo-start the story from scratch by returning to the end of Witcher 1, rather than continuing the superb plot design of Witcher 2. There are hints that they did, e.g. having Geralt get his memory back, and Letho mentioning Yen at the end of 2, but I honestly thought they would take it in a completely different direction than they did. This was Ciri's story as much as Geralt, as she points out to us in one part of the game, and given the fact that this was supposed to be Geralt's conclusion, it feels strange. I do realize that Geralt's link with Ciri is really important, pivotal even, but it diminished his conclusion, I think, making the ending of his saga quite unsatisfying.

Yea the game was more about Ciri than Geralt. Honeslty it didn't feel like a SEQUEL to Witcher 2, but more like a standalone expansion. I woulda preferred more focus on Yen/Triss and their relationship with Geralt, it is HIS last game afterall. The ending was unsatisfying as well, flashing forward with more focus on Ciri's fate left too many questions behind. What happened to Avallac? What happened to Yen outside the barrier? All your other friends who were fighting the Hunt? Woulda liked to at least get to talk to my allies after the battle.

I thought the game would be much more focused on the war with Nilfgaard and the north replete with the levels of political scheming, intrigue, and plots that we saw in Witcher 2. I thought that the Lodge would have a much bigger presence than "let's rescue the ladies to put up barriers". I thought there would have been a lot more background on Yennefer and what she was doing while we were in Vizima (e.g. Witcher 1), Flotsam, and the Pontar.

I thought there would be a lot more complexity in terms of the actions of the remaining northern kingdoms in the face of the Nilfgaardian onslaught, and that your actions had a bearing on the different kingdoms and their role in the war. I thought that the existing cast of characters from the first two games, combined with those newly introduced would play a much larger role than plot pushing pawns. And behind this entire backdrop of the war, I thought that the Wild Hunt was pursuing Geralt and that their intentions would be made known, that his time with the red riders would be better elucidated.

This doesn't mean that I didn't want Ciri to be in it...I just think there should have been far more to the war than a handful of quests. I wanted to see A BATTLE between Nilfgaard against Redania/Kaedwen. The environment was hilariously calm given the fact that a war was going on. Everyone was sitting in their camps as if they were engaging in trench warfare except without firing a shot.

And I guess lastly, I thought there would be far more character interaction with the people in Geralt's life beyond the plot with Ciri and the occasional sidequest for a person. I thought that the dialogues would be updated from each act to add additional content, similar to how Dragon Age had 'added dialogue prompts' after certain milestones in the game, allowing for more interesting interaction. And, most importantly, I thought that it would give a sense of closure to Geralt's tale worthy of a trilogy...

Honestly, I was gonna post some crappy comment about Yen vs Triss but didn't wanna sour your excellent post with it...

That's only AFTER Geralt had his first flash-back about Yennefer and DEMANDED Triss she would tell him everything about Yennefer on the boat trip to Flotsam.

If Geralt never had his flash-back about Yennefer and never demanded Triss to tell him about Yen, would she have told him? Or would Triss continue keeping Geralt in the dark about Yen, pretending she never existed?

demanded?
Triss never set her cards on the table, true enough, but from there to conspiring against Geralt goes a very long way.
Geralt didnt demand anything, Triss volunteered to help, in fact the whole rose of remembrance quest line comes from Triss wanting to help.
You also seem to like the "if not for amnesia Geralt would never have fallen in love with Triss argument" sure, that sounds pretty true, tho one could also argue that "if not for the genie wish", Geralt and Yen would never have had the history they did despite having such strong emotions and passions for eachother for Yen tends to just "take off" and never come back often even with people she doesnt clash with, much less someone who has a "toxic" relationship. lets not go into what ifs too much...

sure I'd love to be able to have dialogue in W3 about many things in the Geralt-Yen-Triss relationship, including that point, but people (meaning Yen "fans") seem to give Triss alot of flak for something that, sure enough, is a bad character flaw/choice, while completely and utterly ignoring all the scummy things Yen did both in the books and in the games.
Like cheating on Geralt while they were together (at least geralt "cheated" on breakups) treating people around him like dirt, multiple times sacrificing people and Geralt himself to pursue her own agenda and even be guilty of the very thing she is mad at Geralt about (amnesiac relations with letho's friends), not to mention ignoring him completely after recovering her memory knowing of the kingslayer incident and triss's relationship with him.

Last edited:
Maybe becuz no one of them actually like Yen and prefer Triss since they saw in TW2 that Triss is a way better influence to Geralt and doesn't use necromancy to a guy that Ciri really helped out and liked. And the worst about that is that she didnt tell Ciri! :/

you do realize that the only reason they know that he helped Ciri was due to the necromancy....

I don't really see a betrayal as far as yen goes. In witcher 1 nobody has seen or heard anything about yennifer since both her and geralt "died"so she is still presumed dead at that point. It isn't until geralt remembers the whole hunt deal that we know she is even still alive.

Sure any of his friends could have mentioned yen or even ciri but none do. I figure they think hey if he can't remember why make him hurt by the fact that both are apparently gone.

The bolded portion is very much how i see it.

demanded?
Triss never set her cards on the table, true enough, but from there to conspiring against Geralt goes a very long way.
Geralt didnt demand anything, Triss volunteered to help, in fact the whole rose of remembrance quest line comes from Triss wanting to help.

Geralt: "And I need you to tell me about Yennefer, in detail. I want to hear it all, even the things you don't want to tell me, even the things that might hurt."

^That doesn't sound like demanding to you?

Sure Triss volunteered to help AFTER Geralt demanded her to tell him about Yennefer. She probably felt guilty and she genuinely does want to help Geralt now she realizes how important it is to him. But she never did a single fuck to help Geralt get his memories back in TW1. She never bothered or could be arsed to tell him about Yen in TW1.

sure I'd love to be able to have dialogue in W3 about many things in the Geralt-Yen-Triss relationship, including that point, but people (meaning Yen "fans") seem to give Triss alot of flak for something that, sure enough, is a bad character flaw/choice, while completely and utterly ignoring all the scummy things Yen did both in the books and in the games.

That's bullshit. Most Yen fans call out Triss on her bullshit without ignoring the shit Yen has done. If anything it's the other way around. Many Triss fans pretend Triss is so perfect, so sweet, so warm, so honest, which is bullshit and makes me wanna puke. I as a Yen fan would be the first to admit that Yen can be a complete bitch and I completely understand why a lot of people don't like her.

Me? I like her BECAUSE she's such a bitch. I love it. I love the sass and sarcasm between Yen and Geralt. I love their little arguments and smart-ass remarks between them. I really like the dynamic between Geralt and Yen. I find it interesting and fun to read / look at. It's way more entertaining than Geralt's boring relationship with Triss.

Last edited:
Geralt: "And I need you to tell me about Yennefer, in detail. I want to hear it all, even the things you don't want to tell me, even the things that might hurt."

^That doesn't sound like demanding to you?

Sure Triss volunteered to help AFTER Geralt demanded her to tell him about Yennefer. She probably felt guilty and she genuinely does want to help Geralt now she realizes how important it is to him. But she never did a single fuck to help Geralt get his memories back in TW1. She never bothered or could be arsed to tell him about Yen in TW1.

nop wasn't a demand at all, and it wasn't the first time Triss had a dialogue with Geralt about his memory loss where she offered to help either, even if she was reluctant to do it.

That's bullshit. Most Yen fans call out Triss on her bullshit without ignoring the shit Yen has done. If anything it's the other way around. Many Triss fans pretend Triss is so perfect, so sweet, so warm, so honest, which is bullshit and makes me wanna puke. I as a Yen fan would be the first to admit that Yen can be a complete bitch and I completely understand why a lot of people don't like her.

Me? I like her BECAUSE she's such a bitch. I love it. I love the sass and sarcasm between Yen and Geralt. I love their little arguments and smart-ass remarks between them. I really like the dynamic between Geralt and Yen. I find it interesting and fun to read / look at. It's way more entertaining than Geralt's boring relationship with Triss.

its not "bullshit" most Triss supporters didn't read or simply do not care about the events of the books at all...
and most Yen supporters tend to be people who read the book and give Triss heat for the bad stuff she did there (like lodge) while ignoring Yen's bad stuff (like dragon murder).
and yes I love that she is a "bitch" and I don't need to "trash" Triss to reinforce that position at all, especially with one sided arguments like "Triss took advantage of Geralt's memory loss" without even mentioning all the times Yen took advantage in many ways of Geralt or the fact she herself got involved with letho's friends while amnesiac and even after recovering her memory completely ignored Geralt during the Kingslayer incident and her relationship with Triss.

Last edited:
@Ganen

This isn't about who is better or who's worse, this is about pointing out Triss is just as flawed as Yen is, something most Triss fans don't want to accept.

Both Yen and Triss are equally good or bad and ultimately it's just a matter of taste. Some people prefer the more mellow relationship Geralt has with Triss while others like myself prefer the more fiery relationship between Geralt and Yen.

@Ganen

This isn't about who is better or who's worse, this is about pointing out Triss is just as flawed as Yen is, something most Triss fans don't want to accept.

Both Yen and Triss are equally good or bad and ultimately it's just a matter of taste. Some people prefer the more mellow relationship Geralt has with Triss while others like myself prefer the more fiery relationship between Geralt and Yen.

This, both women have flaws but both have a lot of positives, it is about taste, who we prefer and who we think is better for Geralt.

@Ganen

my point exactly

my point exactly

Then why were you arguing with me in the first place? This has always been my stance on this Triss/Yen debacle.

The reason why I went out of my way to point out Triss flaws is because of the Triss fans who complain about Yen while at the same time pretending Triss is this perfect innocent girl and not as bad as Yen. My point is that they're equally bad in different ways and it ultimately comes down to taste.

@luc0s

Discussion is great; it helps people better understand what they know, and how they know it.

Though, at times, people are simply not going to agree, and they need to accept that other people may come to a different conclusion, with the same information and depth of understanding.

Lighten up everyone. Let's return to the earlier up-beat feel of this thread.

Then why were you arguing with me in the first place? This has always been my stance on this Triss/Yen debacle.

The reason why I went out of my way to point out Triss flaws is because of the Triss fans who complain about Yen while at the same time pretending Triss is this perfect innocent girl and not as bad as Yen. My point is that they're equally bad in different ways and it ultimately comes down to taste.

Cuz you were making it sound that Triss conspired to keep Geralt in the dark, when all she did was take advantage of the memory loss by getting their relationship started (as in an actual loving relationship, unlike the friends with benefits they had in the books).
Triss always volunteered help with Geralt's memory loss, Geralt didnt "demand" a thing.

Triss always volunteered help with Geralt's memory loss, Geralt didnt "demand" a thing.

Well we have to disagree on that then. I don't recall Triss doing a single thing to help Geralt before he demanded her to tell him about Yennefer.

And you might interpret it differently, but to me "and I need you to tell me about Yennefer, in detail. I want to hear it all, even the things you don't want to tell me, even the things that might hurt" sounds very much like a demand, especially with the tone Geralt used in that scene.

Geralt doesn't ask Triss if she WANTS to tell him, he demands it, he NEEDS her to tell him, even the stuff she DOESN'T WANT to tell him. That's the difference between asking a favor and making a demand.

"I want you to do something for me." = asking a favor.
"I need you to do something for me, even if you don't want to." = making a demand.

Last edited:
Interesting unrelated fact about memory loss.

I was watching some Penny Dreadful episode of S2. They revive a chick for Frankenstein to hook up with, and they told her she lost her memory. Then the creature goes and makes up a story about how they were in love etc. The girl, with no recollection of those events, is disgusted at the sight of him, and says, "I'm a different person now, fuck off."

Makes me wonder, how a blank state Geralt would have reacted to Yen. Especially one already in love with Triss and aware of how a relationship should be.

Interesting unrelated fact about memory loss.

I was watching some Penny Dreadful episode of S2. They revive a chick for Frankenstein to hook up with, and they told her she lost her memory. Then the creature goes and makes up a story about how they were in love etc. The girl, with no recollection of those events, is disgusted at the sight of him, and says, "I'm a different person now, fuck off."

Makes me wonder, how a blank state Geralt would have reacted to Yen. Especially one already in love with Triss and aware of how a relationship should be.

It would probably be different than your Frankenstein example because of the magical bond between Yennefer and Geralt from Geralt's last wish. Even if Geralt never regained his memories he'd still feel that bond with Yennefer.

If that bond didn't exist and Geralt never regained his memories then maybe things would have turned out differently though.

---------- Updated at 02:16 AM ----------

Well, Triss said that Geralt's memory would come back on his own if he took a stand on things.

Which is not the same as helping him or telling him about past events.

It would probably be different than your Frankenstein example because of the magical bond between Yennefer and Geralt from Geralt's last wish. Even if Geralt never regained his memories he'd still feel that bond with Yennefer.

If that bond didn't exist and Geralt never regained his memories then maybe things would have turned out differently though.

Of course, the bond does nothing as we find in the game but bring them together.

True, it was just an example though, it hard to come up with new things everybody has said the same arguments for/against each girl a hundred times :)

One thing I've read here and I was lead to believe that it is never clear is that if Geralt's wish was for love between them or for their lives to share the same fate so to speak, as in if one dies the other does too and that's why the djin couldn't kill him/her.

Of course, the bond does nothing as we find in the game but bring them together.

You don't know that. It's not clear how much power this bond has over Geralt and Yennefer. One could argue that the bond is the main reason why Geralt seems so obsessed with Yennefer, which is why only after the quest 'The Last Wish' in TW3 you can tell Yen you no longer love her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom