What is the Item Level?

+
Any idea what the item levels are and how they affect the item stats? Every item quality can have a lot of item levels. Higher levels mean higher stats. But how does that work? Can the levels be increased by crafting? Is it just a random system?

item-level.jpg

Likely that the same item that is ”level 2” has around 1-5% better stats and that you can’t use it if your own level/related skill level is below it.

Maybe you can upgrade it by using your tech attribute. I heard you can even make legendary items yourself

Yeah im thinking you can upgrade item levels so items you like don't get left behind as you get stronger. Works well with clothing.

That item is a legendary, so doesn't make sense it would be level 1 and sold.

Likely that the same item that is ”level 2” has around 1-5% better stats and that you can’t use it if your own level/related skill level is below it.
Yes the higher the level, the higher some stats are. But that is true as well with the quality of the item that goes from common until legendary. So why additional levels?
The item level is not a requirement to use the item. You can be at character level 1 and use a level 10 item.
Maybe you can upgrade it by using your tech attribute. I heard you can even make legendary items yourself
Yes you can craft items, but can you influence the item levels?
Yeah im thinking you can upgrade item levels so items you like don't get left behind as you get stronger. Works well with clothing.

That item is a legendary, so doesn't make sense it would be level 1 and sold.
I thought that you can upgrade items from common to uncommen to rare to epic to legendary. Wouldn't it be overkill to have 20 levels in each quality to upgrade as well?

Yes the higher the level, the higher some stats are. But that is true as well with the quality of the item that goes from common until legendary. So why additional levels?
Because someone in CDPR is fixated on the idea of levels?

The item level is not a requirement to use the item. You can be at character level 1 and use a level 10 item.
I think the idea of the item levels is: If you outlevel your item, your item becomes much less useful and you have to change to a better one. Thats it. Its just a way to force you either get new items or possibly increase the item level via crafting. (I assume this is a thing, as I remember it mentioned in an interview)

I do NOT approve this. I am not looking forward to nabbing that legendary pistol from Royce and then having it outleveled and useless in a few levels. Yay.

At least if youre not level-gated from using higher level items, thats good. It offers a possibility of jumping through hoops to someone get your hands on a really high level item.

Yes you can craft items, but can you influence the item levels?

I thought that you can upgrade items from common to uncommen to rare to epic to legendary. Wouldn't it be overkill to have 20 levels in each quality to upgrade as well?

Idk, we will see how it works when game is out. It could be insanely rare to come across a legendary, and out own level might not decide the level of it. Like, maybe this item is found at level 20, and we have to upgrade it. Idk how it works.

Vronos

Forum regular
Man, I really hope this won’t work like it did with weapons in TW3 where even legendary, unique iones you could find early on ended up being utterly unusable garbage just a couple level ups later because of the way they level-gated content. That is a really unimmersive and annoying way to implement progression.

Man, I really hope this won’t work like it did with weapons in TW3 where even legendary, unique iones you could find early on ended up being utterly unusable garbage just a couple level ups later because of the way they level-gated content. That is a really unimmersive and annoying way to implement progression.

I'm 99% sure thats EXACTLY how its going to work, because CDPR is so stuck in their old ways. Anybody wanna bet?

Any idea what the item levels are and how they affect the item stats? Every item quality can have a lot of item levels. Higher levels mean higher stats. But how does that work? Can the levels be increased by crafting? Is it just a random system?

View attachment 11070455
We might see a lot of changes to the game, it seems they had to push it for many reasons several times; im just curious as to why. as in they changed stuff (like the level system fe.x) or they removed features (a lot of stuff got lost along the way)

We might see a lot of changes to the game, it seems they had to push it for many reasons several times; im just curious as to why. as in they changed stuff (like the level system fe.x) or they removed features (a lot of stuff got lost along the way)
The screenshot is from the latest Night City Wire. They may change stuff, but how is it implemented now?
Post automatically merged:

It's likely they make it a lot like TW3. It seems very unintuitive though if a common handgun level 20 can be better than a uncommon handgun level 1. I don't think the item level is leveling up while using it. I'm confused.

Last edited:
And here I was thinking that it meant the item would gain exp and raise its level as yo continue to use it...

Madae

Forum veteran
Some kind of looter-shooter mechanic wouldn't be too bad. Add longevity and a reason to do things other than quests. Farm for some good items and whatnot. I can dig it.

Farming is the bane of RPGs. Rewards should be meaningful. In TW3 I didn’t give a shit about finding or receiving some rare sword for most of the game because I knew a couple levels later it would be worthless trash. Not only spoils it that aspect of progression and exploration, it also absolutely ruins immersion. “Oh really? My super expensive, unique gun does fuck-all two hours later?” Awful.

Farming is the bane of RPGs. Rewards should be meaningful. In TW3 I didn’t give a shit about finding or receiving some rare sword for most of the game because I knew a couple levels later it would be worthless trash. Not only spoils it that aspect of progression and exploration, it also absolutely ruins immersion. “Oh really? My super expensive, unique gun does fuck-all two hours later?” Awful.
I hope we can level up items in cp2077 by using tech or whatever. Don't want a cool legendary gun to become junk after a couple of levels

I hope we can level up items in cp2077 by using tech or whatever. Don't want a cool legendary gun to become junk after a couple of levels
Yeah maybe that is why the item levels are for. If you get Royce's legendary gun at the beginning of the game, why should you use it 20 levels later? So maybe we can somehow upgrade the item level, otherwise the balancing would be off.
Post automatically merged:

So do you think the item levels are some sort of late game mechanic?

No, I fully expect it to be like in (or at least similar to) TW3 again. I just explained why I think this to be a bad design choice.

Obviously, I would love to be wrong about this.

NEVER been a fan of item rarities or levels.

Good game design means what's available at a given point in the game is appropriately "powerful" for that point in the game.

From my point of view levels serve two purposes:
1 - Tells the lazy player item B is "better" then item A so they don't need to do complected things like read or math
2 - Gives players a "buzz" when they get an exceptional item (even if it's one they have no use for) just because it's "Epic" (or whatever) just because it's X, Y, or Z color.

Top Bottom